• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 4's USB Port Reportedly Overheats and Burns User


    There are reports today that one iPhone 4 user suffered minor burns following a USB port "catching fire." Unlike past instances of exploding or flame-throwing iPhones (at least that's what some headlines would have you believe), this situation appears even more isolated than previous accounts of dangerous iPhone-related mishaps.

    To be clear, however, some reports and headlines regarding this situation have been greatly exaggerated. That is, to say the iPhone 4 burst into flames would be patently false. And there is no reason (at least at this time) to think that widespread accounts of similar occurrences will be forthcoming as it pertains to the iPhone 4.

    According to BGR:

    The brand new iPhone 4 caught on fire while being hooked up to a computer using the Apple USB cable that accompanied the device.


    What we know for sure is that USB port in question was so overheated that it "began to burn" and consequently melted the plug on the iPhone's connector cord. On physical contact, the surface mildly burned the iPhone 4 owner's hand - much like the way touching a hot pan out of the oven would do some minor damage to an unprotected finger tip.

    In recent years, there have been many accounts of iDevices overheating and becoming physically uncomfortable to the touch. And while battery recalls and faulty components have, on occasion, contributed to these issues, most savvy gadget users understand that devices - when used at high intensity for prolonged periods of time - will get hot. Sometimes very hot. At that point, it's always best to give the iPhone, or iPod, or iWhataver a rest to let the thing cool off. Apart from filing that already-ingrained lesson into our universal common sense folder, there's not much to be gleaned from this particular account - although some will naturally sensationalize the headline. After all, it is "hot" news.

    Image via BGR
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 4's USB Port Reportedly Overheats and Burns User started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 36 Comments
    1. kmac1622's Avatar
      kmac1622 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      Looks like liquid was involved. (if the pic is real). The metal shows liquid burn or short.

      Looks like liquid was involved. (if the pic is real). The metal shows liquid burn or short with water .

      Also the screen protector doesn't have a single blemish. FAKE.... Nice try dude. Go to walmart slip on the floor or spill some coffee from fatdonalds on your lap. That might work for ya... Lol
      Sooo Right about that screen protector its perfect around the home button and thats nearly impossible to do that while keeping it all bubble free.
    1. soul65's Avatar
      soul65 -
      What are you guys talking about. The person was trying out a new APP in the app store
    1. djnikk's Avatar
      djnikk -
      Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
      thats fake wat is there to burn / sustain the fire?
      Your joking right???? it OVERHEATED..... and plastic should be your answer...
    1. sendertimes's Avatar
      sendertimes -
      Actually this just happened to my wifes Iphone 4 last night, She calls me that the power went out in the house, I arrived home in the morning, and saw that the USB cord was charred on its tip, I reason I dont understand yet, I have called Apple customer care, and they said, they had similiar stories recently, I told them I would send my wifes Iphone 4 back in under warranty, including the charred USB cable,it hasnt happened to my Iphone 4, yet
    1. Effenpig!'s Avatar
      Effenpig! -
      If it was real, one thing is for sure. The USB doesn't supply enough current to cause that, the battery would have to be the source of the necessary current. Also the idea that it could be the result of "liquid" makes no sense.
    1. mvhurlburt's Avatar
      mvhurlburt -
      If the plastic had sustained a flame one would think that the metal band around the bottom of the phone would display more carbon residue/charring...
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I've never even felt any of my apple products getting warm
    1. MBCMDR's Avatar
      MBCMDR -
      Ouch my luck I see a letter from Apple sorry this happened with your iPhone but the cost is out of your pocket would you like us to fix it? Apple Store warnes customers not to Jailbreak iPhones or they would void their warranties. That sure was a heavy load as old USB computer ports like 500ma of power and newer one's like 1200ma (unless was using an external USB port HUB that had required external power and the zener diode failed). I be interested knowing what USB using and what was doing in data tranfer and power when happened. My first guess looking at photo was either a USB car outlet iPhone used a nav and music and had a power surge or a bad USB wall outlet charger and yes I use both.


      As having a degree in Electronics and in Software Development I might think about having a USB Optical port Isolator (I made for like $20.00 and had 99.99999% protection) as something I used in past in design at a job when I was creating back up power supplies and wanted to protect the main control interface from surges. Here is a link from some site if wanted to understand what thinking http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

      MBCMDR
    1. echoes49's Avatar
      echoes49 -
      I'll tell you what the apple tech in Columbus Ohio told me when I took my phone in for this same problem.... "You shouldn't plug the iphone in when it is wet." So, I asked him to show me the part of the phone taht was "wet". He could not show me and started to back track in his explination. I was handed a new phone at no charge and was asked not to do it again.

      Thank You Apple for setting me straight. I knew I couldn't believe my lying eyes.

      I had problems with my 3g many times over, my 3gs was awesome, to bad I sold it. This iphone 4 is unreal. First the usb catching fire, and now I have the death grip issue with the new one. I could possible keep going on if apple was even a bit straight with it's customers. My wife refused to upgarde to the iphone 4 and got the HTC Aria. It's a nice phone. I think I will join her since the app I really like has been made for the droid.
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      Quote Originally Posted by echoes49 View Post
      I'll tell you what the apple tech in Columbus Ohio told me when I took my phone in for this same problem.... "You shouldn't plug the iphone in when it is wet." So, I asked him to show me the part of the phone taht was "wet". He could not show me and started to back track in his explination. I was handed a new phone at no charge and was asked not to do it again.

      Thank You Apple for setting me straight. I knew I couldn't believe my lying eyes.

      I had problems with my 3g many times over, my 3gs was awesome, to bad I sold it. This iphone 4 is unreal. First the usb catching fire, and now I have the death grip issue with the new one. I could possible keep going on if apple was even a bit straight with it's customers. My wife refused to upgarde to the iphone 4 and got the HTC Aria. It's a nice phone. I think I will join her since the app I really like has been made for the droid.
      That sounds like bull to me...there's no way your applestore had an extra brand new iPhone 4 laying around...no way
    1. jason_wehrwein's Avatar
      jason_wehrwein -
      My 3g did this a while back. I had the factory usb wire plugged into an aftermarket usb charger. It got really hot and started to melt the plastic. Luckly I noticed and was able to unplug it before it screwed up my phone.
    1. butfuq's Avatar
      butfuq -
      tiny metal shavings from using a self tap metal screw,particles from stripping a phillips bit, mylar confetti flakes, coax shielding particles, stranded wire clippings etc. can easily make their way into either the port or the cable and cause a short.
    1. blacksti's Avatar
      blacksti -
      I felt my phone the other day. It was hot to the touch I took out the point and shoot, it said it was 104. That's pretty hot for a phone I'm thinking..
    1. jayson9's Avatar
      jayson9 -
      Typical new iphone release feature, runs so fast that it catches on fire....... Now we know where the get that BLAZING 3G speed! LMAO!!!!!
    1. Magnum's Avatar
      Magnum -
      Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
      Typical new iphone release feature, runs so fast that it catches on fire....... Now we know where the get that BLAZING 3G speed! LMAO!!!!!
      Ha
    1. Xtremeiphone's Avatar
      Xtremeiphone -
      my plug get pretty hot but not that hot, i dont believe this. Anything to get in the spotlight