• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Lifts Curtain on New Shanghai Flagship


    Apple is gearing up for this weekend's grand opening of its new Shanghai-based flagship store in China. For weeks, the facility has been shielded from public view beneath a big red curtain-like encasing that has, until now, kept hidden the glorified glass structure of the new outlet - China's second official Apple store - which could very well prove to be be the most beautiful and ornate of any Apple storefront in the world.

    It's no coincidence that Apple is opening one of its largest stores in all of Asia at this particular point and time. China is a major priority for Apple. As we've covered in recent days, Apple is getting its ducks in a row for a substantial investment in treasure and time to roll out the iPhone 4 and iPad in grand fashion to the world's largest mobile community - a community that still teems with individuals more willing to turn to the black market for Apple products than Apple itself.

    Although the new Shanghai flagship joins only one other Beijing-based Apple store in all of China, Cupertino has publicly expressed plans to open at least two dozen additional Apple stores in China within the next twenty-four months. The endeavor will go a long way to increase the company's present and relatively dinky market share in that part of the world. And with Chinese customers increasingly more willing to spend big bucks for the iDevices that have set the global consumer electronics market on fire, the move by Apple is simply a case of perfect timing to take aim at China.

    But what will China's growing appetite for Apple products mean for the rest of us around the world? Some analysts say the exposure to new markets could ultimately mean lower prices for the most popular products Apple is currently peddling. But, more than likely, a Chinese buying boom for Apple would almost certainly first result in further supply issues for a company that can barely keep adequate product stocked as it is.

    Image via New York Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Lifts Curtain on New Shanghai Flagship started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 41 Comments
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      ^I find it funny that fan boys of apple will insult people just because they criticize a fancy building built by apple. This is what I think is going through some of your heads when you read what I said: "Like OmGz that building was built by apple it probably uses the glass that the iphone 4 is made out of how can he say that". You think just because there's another building similar in design that has been around for 4 years that this one must be perfect and will last a thousand years and should be a world wonder? Well all I can say is I didn't know that such ignorant people existed. I'm not sure if you noticed but shanghai isn't in anyway similar to New York(hint: Location).

      Oh and I've been wondering this. How does doubting the structural support of a glass building make someone a tool?
    1. Nerologic's Avatar
      Nerologic -
      Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
      What you don't know is what's under that glass...



      And I like it.

    1. Carrbone's Avatar
      Carrbone -
      Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
      ^I find it funny that fan boys of apple will insult people just because they criticize a fancy building built by apple. This is what I think is going through some of your heads when you read what I said: "Like OmGz that building was built by apple it probably uses the glass that the iphone 4 is made out of how can he say that". You think just because there's another building similar in design that has been around for 4 years that this one must be perfect and will last a thousand years and should be a world wonder? Well all I can say is I didn't know that such ignorant people existed. I'm not sure if you noticed but shanghai isn't in anyway similar to New York(hint: Location).

      Oh and I've been wondering this. How does doubting the structural support of a glass building make someone a tool?
      Actually I was referring to your apparent degree in architecture and structural engineering thats all.
      lol I also find it funny that your calling someone ignorant.

      Back to the subject however,
      The building is sick.
      Its obvious from the surrounding buildings in the picture that the local construction efforts are very skilled.lol
      I have no doubt its built with the same quality as the one in NY; with us having several FEET of Heavy Snow during the winters it apparently can withstand great amounts of pressure.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by FURBY8704 View Post
      what do you mean "these" things??....RACIST!?!?!
      what do you mean "these" things?
    1. MIKE DUB's Avatar
      MIKE DUB -
      Yeah, u buster!
    1. robertr1's Avatar
      robertr1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
      Actually I was referring to your apparent degree in architecture and structural engineering thats all.
      lol I also find it funny that your calling someone ignorant.

      Back to the subject however,
      The building is sick.
      Its obvious from the surrounding buildings in the picture that the local construction efforts are very skilled.lol
      I have no doubt its built with the same quality as the one in NY; with us having several FEET of Heavy Snow during the winters it apparently can withstand great amounts of pressure.
      Lol? I never once said anything about me knowing anything about structural engineering.

      Anyone who's been in a hurricane knows 100-150 mph winds + random flying debris = broken glass....

      I doubt any wind or snow or other random stuff will break it I'm just saying if something big hits it in a storm it could break.

      I guess it's just a risk for having such a cool building though lol. Anyone know how big it is under the giant glass building? Shanghai definitely looks nicer than any American town I gotta give them that...
    1. FURBY8704's Avatar
      FURBY8704 -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      what do you mean "these" things?
      well what do you mean "these" things??
    1. badass1469's Avatar
      badass1469 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
      u are a child obviously.
      Come to NY where our glass apple store has been for YEARS. U tool
      OLD FART alert,
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Quote Originally Posted by FURBY8704 View Post
      well what do you mean "these" things??
      What are "these" things you are talking about? *randomly chews on your shoe for no reason*
    1. badass1469's Avatar
      badass1469 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
      u are a child obviously.
      Come to NY where our glass apple store has been for YEARS. U tool
      Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
      ^I find it funny that fan boys of apple will insult people just because they criticize a fancy building built by apple. This is what I think is going through some of your heads when you read what I said: "Like OmGz that building was built by apple it probably uses the glass that the iphone 4 is made out of how can he say that". You think just because there's another building similar in design that has been around for 4 years that this one must be perfect and will last a thousand years and should be a world wonder? Well all I can say is I didn't know that such ignorant people existed. I'm not sure if you noticed but shanghai isn't in anyway similar to New York(hint: Location).

      Oh and I've been wondering this. How does doubting the structural support of a glass building make someone a tool?
      I support your argument. Apple fanatics tend to be very cloudy when people criticize their beloved apple lol.
    1. rico3459's Avatar
      rico3459 -
      Back to the building doesn't one of the buildings in the background look like a android robot looking at the apple store.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      I wonder if it's made out of the same glass the iphone4 is! Ha, maybe that's the reason for the iphone4 shortages!
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
      I'm sorry I didn't realize that some people didn't know that when I said I give it a few years before it breaks they wouldn't think I meant years..... And seriously 4 years isn't a long time for a building lol.

      Oh and look at the location of the New York store compared to Shanghai. New york store: surrounded by tall buildings and very rarely get hits by severe storms and even if it does those buildings are surrounding it to block strong winds... Shanghai: Glass building in an open area and exposed to typhoons. That better be some strong glass to withstand a typhoon with nothing around it to block the winds.

      And yes I'm the child because I'm the one too lazy to spell out the freaking word "you" and I call people tools for no apparent reason other then to seem like I know something. And last time I checked apple stores belong to apple not you so it is not "our" it's "their" apple store.
      You may possibly be the stupidest person to ever grace this forum. Obviously the glass is thick enough to withstand the local weather. If glass can be made to withstand high-caliber bullets (or low caliber as you'd find in most banks), then I'm guessing debris from a typhoon isn't of much concern. It would take a tank (possibly one built by the Chinese) to crack this glass. You make it sound like it's as thick as the glassware you use at your dinner table. Please, try and use some common sense before speaking/typing.
    1. iTone's Avatar
      iTone -
      Quote Originally Posted by junnyboy11 View Post
      wow thats amazing China is usually so good at these things
      The irony is that the architecture comes from Europe for the most part. it's just that China is surprisingly open minded about installing cutting edge architecture:

      Birds Nest- Architects from Switzerland:


      Apple Store in Shangers - USA firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson

      I have lived in China on and off for a few years, the place is amazing; and one day the world is going to discover Shanghai and realis the amazing city it really is; on par with Paris, London, Vegas, NYC, Sydney...
    1. ecd5000's Avatar
      ecd5000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
      I give it a couple years before it shatters... Really a glass building? I don't care how hard or thick the glass is, glass breaks. Of course the Chinese seem to always build something or do something ridiculous...


      And no a fancy glass building will not be a world wonder lol
      no it will be a world wonder that when and if it does shatter how many people are going to scatter over the remains and jack everything in site.
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      U guys fighting over glass strength really need to calm down. "It's like...Come ON". Perhaps a lock-in at the rec center.
    1. CMOSlabs's Avatar
      CMOSlabs -
      Hmm, bet I could sell them alot of Windex !
    1. -_-'s Avatar
      -_- -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmoslabs View Post
      hmm, bet i could sell them alot of windex !
      lol
    1. Kluak's Avatar
      Kluak -
      I wish America looked like that. Looks so clean and efficient. Haha. We need to get more cool building.

      Oh and I begged a differ. Vegas isn't that amazing of a city. Atleast the strip isn't. It's nasty and covered in garbage and trashy people and bumbs.

      To the people fighting about the glass: everything breaks. Everything falls and gets destroyed eventually no matter what. Wether it's from snow. Or a hurricane. Or it just gets old. It will break. Just because apple built it (or had it built) doesn't make it any different. No need for you guys to fight back and forth. Just take a breath and ignore the other persons comments.


      But everybody is posting some funny stuff. Like the ICBM. Haha. Made me laugh. That Europe architect thing is pretty sweet. Why can't america's be more like that? We're falling apart. Lossing our edge. (see everything breaks and fall apart. Even countries. Take ours for example.)
    1. yowiphone's Avatar
      yowiphone -
      Lol Chinese will probably support their own mediocre apple rip off products..
      They should of built the flag ship in Japan..