• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Google to Challenge Facetime with New Google Talk Video Chat


    Google is about to challenge Apple in an entirely new way. And although some see Google "ripping off" Apple's popular iDevice Facetime video chat service, the last time I checked Apple didn't own the very concept of video chatting. So, as a result, we may see an entirely new challenge from Android devices to kill the runaway momentum of the iPhone 4 and perhaps the next-generation model.

    On Friday, the Internet search giant introduced a new feature called "Google Talk," a service destined for Android devices. "In your Google Talk friends list," Google says, "a video or voice chat button will appear next to your contacts and you can simply touch the button to connect with them."

    Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video, Google notes. Speaking to the now cemented functionality of multitasking, Google is making it possible so that if you need to "check something else," the video pauses automatically so you can go back to your phone’s home screen or another app. Through it all, the audio feed will not be interrupted.

    All told, users with an Android phone can engage in video chats with friends and family members on a compatible Android tablet or phone, or using Gmail with Google Talk on their PC. Incredibly, Google says users can make calls over a 3G or 4G data network or, as expected, over Wi-Fi.

    To get things started, Google is giving Nexus S owners the service first. The video chat platform will arrive in the coming weeks via the Android 2.3.4 update. Additional Android 2.3+ devices will get the feature in the coming months, Google concluded. For more info, check out the official Google video above.

    Source: Google
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Google to Challenge Facetime with New Google Talk Video Chat started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 34 Comments
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I don't know that this is a direct challenge to facetime. That said, it is nice to be able to video chat from phone to pc. AFAIK, facetime doesn't allow this (OSX only). Now if only skype could get their act together with Android video chat...

      EDIT: BTW "Google Talk" is not a new feature... it's been on stock Android for ages. The video/voice chat is what is new.
    1. DarkDragonAn's Avatar
      DarkDragonAn -
      Who care what Google wants to do to try to take on the iPhone. We just need a real universa that work great with your facetime friends and Gtalk or any other form of video chating from PC and Mobile Phone in one. If Apple or Google do that now that is taking you device to the next level. A buil in App that will be Cool.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
      Who care what Google wants to do to try to take on the iPhone. We just need a real universa that work great with your facetime friends and Gtalk or any other form of video chating from PC and Mobile Phone in one. If Apple or Google do that now that is taking you device to the next level. A buil in App that will be Cool.
      Skype COULD easily do this... for whatever reason they are holding off on Android devices and just providing them with Quik...
    1. gldoorii's Avatar
      gldoorii -
      Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video

      Because I've always wished I could FaceTime with someone WHILE texting them at the same time.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      I have yet to use facetime or video chat anyone with my iPhone4, doubt it would happen any time soon.
      Texting on the videochat is pretty cool though, like private message without people around you know.
    1. Channan's Avatar
      Channan -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video

      Because I've always wished I could FaceTime with someone WHILE texting them at the same time.
      Me too. And I'm not being sarcastic.
    1. Painkiller006's Avatar
      Painkiller006 -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      I have yet to use facetime or video chat anyone with my iPhone4, doubt it would happen any time soon.
      Texting on the videochat is pretty cool though, like private message without people around you know.
      Nice feature. Maybe you have something to say that you don't want others to hear, so just send them a txt
    1. aperry's Avatar
      aperry -
      I think this is great. Finally a complete video chat platform that includes PC, OSX, iPhone, iPad, and Android. We're no longer limited to Facetime and its handicapped little world of supported platforms, or Skype who for some reason hasn't supported Android or even produced an iPad app.

      Thanks Google!
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      I think this is a great idea. Cant wait for it to be released.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video

      Because I've always wished I could FaceTime with someone WHILE texting them at the same time.
      Yes, this seems like a stupid idea, until you consider possiblities like being sent a web link. It will be nice to click on the link from there, rather than having to change screens to click the link you want to get to anyway. Quite handy, if you ask me...
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
      I think this is great. Finally a complete video chat platform that includes PC, OSX, iPhone, iPad, and Android. We're no longer limited to Facetime and its handicapped little world of supported platforms, or Skype who for some reason hasn't supported Android or even produced an iPad app.

      Thanks Google!
      Google will need APIs to access iPhone/iPad cameras won't they? Meaning it won't come on the web version for iPhone/iPad users. Further meaning Google will need to release an official App Store app for Google Talk. I think we might be waiting quite a while for that.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Some good competition. Hopefully Apple will step-up and go beyond what Google's done.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      Google will need APIs to access iPhone/iPad cameras won't they? Meaning it won't come on the web version for iPhone/iPad users. Further meaning Google will need to release an official App Store app for Google Talk. I think we might be waiting quite a while for that.
      Agreed. I don't think google even has a google talk app for iOS yet...
    1. zeroskater61's Avatar
      zeroskater61 -
      How is this suppose to challenge FaceTime?? it's not going to stop me from using my i4 in any way and am sure it's not going to keep any other i4 user from using there FaceTime as well.. So again how is this a challenge? To the phone it self maybe but to FaceTime I don't see how.
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Google copying apple and trying to make it better??!!?? Now that's a shock... However, FaceTime already works the same way google video is trying to do. I use it with my iPhone or Mac buddies often. Apple should make FaceTime for PC like they do with iTunes and safari.
      Still though, skype beats FaceTime for functionality and wide spread use. It would be nice if android phones could do video calling...
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      Google copying apple and trying to make it better??!!?? Now that's a shock... However, FaceTime already works the same way google video is trying to do. I use it with my iPhone or Mac buddies often. Apple should make FaceTime for PC like they do with iTunes and safari.
      Still though, skype beats FaceTime for functionality and wide spread use. It would be nice if android phones could do video calling...
      Apple did not invent video calling.
      I had that back in 2002(or 3) on my Nokia 3G (forgot what it was called), don't hear you say Apple copy Nokia and many other phones around the world. Hell even the iPhone 3G or was it 3GS hardware supports video calling but Apple did not use it, proof that video calling is around before Apple iPhone.

      Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
      How is this suppose to challenge FaceTime?? it's not going to stop me from using my i4 in any way and am sure it's not going to keep any other i4 user from using there FaceTime as well.. So again how is this a challenge? To the phone it self maybe but to FaceTime I don't see how.
      It may not challenge facetime but it is challenging iPhone/iPad sales. Google did this to make it more attractive, to get people to say hay this is good feature I will by Android phone instead. So the ball is in Apple's court, its good to have these innovations going to keep companies on their toes.

      Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
      Nice feature. Maybe you have something to say that you don't want others to hear, so just send them a txt
      I'm imagining calling girlfriend and videochat "Where do you want to go for dinner" while texting "what color underwear are you wearing?"
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
      Any text chats from the person you’re talking with will be overlaid on your phone’s screen so you can read them without having to leave the video

      Because I've always wished I could FaceTime with someone WHILE texting them at the same time.
      Lol I thought that too!!! Lol can't really see a use for that function
    1. scroogelives's Avatar
      scroogelives -
      Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
      Google will need APIs to access iPhone/iPad cameras won't they? Meaning it won't come on the web version for iPhone/iPad users. Further meaning Google will need to release an official App Store app for Google Talk. I think we might be waiting quite a while for that.
      Apple have allowed other apps like yahoo to use the camera for chat! So not impossible maybe apple will come along with a new feature too lol
    1. one1's Avatar
      one1 -
      This just in, Apple said if google wants to make an app for the iphone they would approve the app in roughly 2 years........
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Apple did not invent video calling.
      I had that back in 2002(or 3) on my Nokia 3G (forgot what it was called), don't hear you say Apple copy Nokia and many other phones around the world. Hell even the iPhone 3G or was it 3GS hardware supports video calling but Apple did not use it, proof that video calling is around before Apple iPhone.
      I never said apple invented it. However they were the only phone with a front facing camera when it first came out, and they wrote a hell of a good program for it. I like the fact that you don't have to have a program running to receive a call.