• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band?



    Talk about holding one's calls.

    Apparently, if you hold the iPhone 4 by the antenna band, you'll lose your bars, your reception, and maybe even your call. As this video making the rounds showcases, holding the handset with your fingers pressed upon the antenna throws off your cell reception and effectively reduces your bars all the way down, in some cases, to zero.

    Of course, it isn't yet clear if the real issue relates to an inaccurate showing of bars or a significant problem with the actual antenna. But as thousands unbox their iPhone 4s and activate the long awaited updated smartphone, you may want to give your device the finger so to speak and play the home game version of this video demonstration.

    But as Paul noted earlier in his piece "iPhone 4 Screen Defects Reported," in every new product, manufacturing defects are almost inevitable. So as scattered but undocumented complaints similarly surface, there's a good chance we'll know in the coming hours and days if this example is an isolated incident (and let's hope that it is)... or if this is the first real bug and potential nightmare for the 4th generation iPhone and its customers.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Say What?! iPhone 4 Loses Reception Bars When Held by the Antenna Band? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 563 Comments
    1. BoostedEvoIX's Avatar
      BoostedEvoIX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
      My apple conversation was about the same as everyone else. I have two free bumpers on the way. That being said, both the manager and I agreed that was a bandaid and it would either be fixed or replaced. After our initial conversation he called me back, and my iphone prompltly dropped his call, then, holding the stupid thing in my shirt he called back and said they had just had a conversation with the engineers and all the managers and they thought there would be a software fix soon. But we left it that if there wasn't they would be replaced. His big thing through all of it was even apple didn't have any phones to exchange with me for a while.

      I have spoken with my at&t rep and she was going to find out tomorrow what they could do, I'm trying to keep all my options open right now.
      weird they said they cant get you one for a while. I have an issue with my new iphone 4G(proximity sensor) and they just sent me a replacement today and its on its way to me and delivers tomorrow morning.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
      My apple conversation was about the same as everyone else. I have two free bumpers on the way. That being said, both the manager and I agreed that was a bandaid and it would either be fixed or replaced. After our initial conversation he called me back, and my iphone prompltly dropped his call, then, holding the stupid thing in my shirt he called back and said they had just had a conversation with the engineers and all the managers and they thought there would be a software fix soon. But we left it that if there wasn't they would be replaced. His big thing through all of it was even apple didn't have any phones to exchange with me for a while.

      I have spoken with my at&t rep and she was going to find out tomorrow what they could do, I'm trying to keep all my options open right now.

      I know someone who is already on his THIRD iPhone 4 as they've promptly replaced his other 2 for "issues" (1st was the yellow tint, 2nd was for reception). As in, it's launch day and he's already on numero tres. Poor guy has the worst luck in the universe.
    1. equlizer's Avatar
      equlizer -
      Well i guess its good Canada is waiting to get theirs, you Americans will work out all the bugs
    1. Moosestache's Avatar
      Moosestache -
      Yep I figured they were trying to stall me, but I'm in no rush as long as it gets fixed in the end.
    1. engelke2010's Avatar
      engelke2010 -
      I'm on hold with Apple right now. I have had more call drops today than I have had in several months prior, both with my 3G on contract and a Tilt when I was prepaid. Ugh! I can't afford a bumper right now.
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      If you just upgraded to a 200-300 dollar phone but can't afford a 30 dollar bumper then my friend you have some nerve-wrecking finances going on.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      what a response by steve

    1. arfreitas12's Avatar
      arfreitas12 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      what a response by steve

      that made my day
    1. nicksti's Avatar
      nicksti -
      I have read thru most of this thread and I just need one thing explained:

      I see there is a group of people out there that have do not have the newest hardware iPhone 4, but are using the software iOS 4 and say they also get the same issue, hence proving that it is indeed software.

      How on earth does software do this? Now I would understand if this was pressing on an input of the phone (screen, buttons, etc) that is captured by the software but does the software register that you are touching the metal band around the phone?

      It makes absolutely no sense to me that it is software. Maybe I am a simpleton so explain it to me in a simple way?
    1. Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
      Happy Noodle Boy -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      what a response by steve

      I unironically love this man to death.
    1. engelke2010's Avatar
      engelke2010 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      If you just upgraded to a 200-300 dollar phone but can't afford a 30 dollar bumper then my friend you have some nerve-wrecking finances going on.
      OK, I admit I CAN afford one, but why should I be forced to spend $30 on a case because of this issue?
    1. xxzone's Avatar
      xxzone -
      Yeah that's a stupid statement. You just spent 225$, what's 30 more? It's called 30 more dollars. Just cause you bought a high price item, doesn't mean you have an endless supply of money.

      Some people don't put everything on credit cards, and try to live on only what they make.
    1. rdt1999's Avatar
      rdt1999 -
      FYI
      I just spoke with Apple an they are working on a fix as we speak. Thier directive on this is to send Bumbers to everyone having problems while they work on a fix. Its weird that the bumbers came out, fixe the issue, and they are sending them out overnight priority all on the day of the luanch.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
      I unironically love this man to death.
      I know right?
    1. rdt1999's Avatar
      rdt1999 -
      FYI
      I just spoke with Apple and they are working on a fix as we speak. Thier directive on this is to send Bumbers to everyone having problems while they work on a fix. Its weird that the bumbers came out, fixed the issue, and they are sending them out overnight priority all on the day of the luanch.
    1. scorpio71rick's Avatar
      scorpio71rick -
      its not software my iphone 3gs on 3.12 is doing the same exact thing. The problem was there before, just no one seemed to notice, because once in your ear you can't see the screen. I think there is no fix for this, execept for the ugly bumper.
    1. DuBB_B's Avatar
      DuBB_B -
      I'm having no issues there but my call speaker went out. I can only hear if I turn on speaker phone or use my headset. I've had it for a total of 3 hours
    1. rdt1999's Avatar
      rdt1999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by scorpio71rick View Post
      its not software my iphone 3gs on 3.12 is doing the same exact thing. The problem was there before, just no one seemed to notice, because once in your ear you can't see the screen. I think there is no fix for this, execept for the ugly bumper.
      This is'nt correct, at least not with me. I have a 3G and my son has a 3GS and neither of the two act the same way like the iPhone 4. I have tested all three to the best of my ability and the 3G and 3GS act the same while the iPhone 4 losses signal completly.
      I do agree the bumbers are ugly
    1. marko111's Avatar
      marko111 -
      It is correct, at least in some cases. See the video I posted of 3GS
    1. rdt1999's Avatar
      rdt1999 -
      I guess we will have to see Apple comes up with.