• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Mario Clone Reaches #6 in App Store Before Being Pulled


    App developer, FeiYingInfo today snuck through Monino, what is quite possibly the most blatant example of copyright infringement that you’re likely to see any time soon. Although Monino appears at first glance to be a genuine Nintendo game, featuring everyone’s favorite Italian plumber, it is in reality just a poor imitation of the beloved classic that we all grew up with as kids. Monino did, however, manage to reach number six on the list of top-selling paid apps in the App Store, before being pulled a few hours later. Not bad for a blatant rip-off with poor game play mechanics.

    But really, who wouldn’t want to play Mario on their iPhone? Everyone except Nintendo, that’s who. The fact that this game was approved at all is almost as amazing as the game itself. Whoever was responsible for approving this app obviously hasn’t played a video game in the last twenty years.

    The graphics in Monino look almost exactly the same as early Super Mario games, as does the sound effects and music. But, that’s where the similarities end. The game play is said to be quite awful and fails to capture the charm of the original title. Many App Store users only gave the game one star, with some wanting a refund of their $.99.

    Along with poor game play mechanics, the app also lacks that certain attention to detail that Nintendo is known for. The Goombas look terrible and Monino’s fireballs appear to be simple red circles. The game may look like Mario, but it doesn’t play like Mario.



    Hopefully, Nintendo will one day embrace Apple’s iOS and grace the system with their iconic plumber mascot. It will probably be a cold day in hell before this occurs, but stranger things have happened. With the demise of Sega consoles, their biggest mascot, Sonic has made the transition to just about every platform available today. Nintendo currently sees Apple as one of their biggest threats so I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting Mario games to arrive just yet. If you really want to see Mario and pals on your iPhone, simply Jailbreak your iDevice and install one of the many emulator apps readily available. Then you can play Mario to your heart content, just keep an eye out for Nintendo.



    Source: TUAW
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Mario Clone Reaches #6 in App Store Before Being Pulled started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 90 Comments
    1. x12_Carnage's Avatar
      x12_Carnage -
      The Fake Mario game looked too good to be true till I checked the awful ratings :P good thing it got pulled off the AppStore.not only was it copyright infringement,but it was a lame version of the Mario game that most everyone,if not everyone,loves playing
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      But one thing I have learned from the people here is that there is always some justifiable reason to steal.
      Irony, I hope. There is no justifiable reason to steal. (Caveat- if you are starving, stealing food to survive. But then, why are you starving.? Good reason or just lazy?)

      I come to your house and steal your game system because I don't have one- no.

      I steal your car because... same. No.

      I make a product and try to sell it. You steal it because you don't want to pay for it. No.

      Stealing is stealing. Period. Nintendo OWNS Mario. Deal with it. If you want Mario, buy it. If it is not available for your phone, deal with it. Warez is stealing. Admit you are a thief and want something for nothing.

      As to ROMS, under U.S. Copyright law (though under attack by Clinton's revision of digital media laws, which is contested), you have the right to make one backup of your purchased media under Fair Use- as a backup. While producers make this more and more difficult, it is a recognized part of the law. But any other distribution of, or ownership of, media not made by you for that specific purpose is illegal.

      Morality is within you. You choose how you behave and how you deal with your actions.

      But I bet your moms taught ALL of you little thieves that stealing is bad. You are just choosing to ignore her.
    1. vedavis's Avatar
      vedavis -
      What the hell is this? I'll say what I want, when I want.
    1. x12_Carnage's Avatar
      x12_Carnage -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      But I bet your moms taught ALL of you little thieves that stealing is bad. You are just choosing to ignore her.
      It went through one ear and came out the other lol
      Luckily I don't do any of that
    1. aidanski's Avatar
      aidanski -
      My god MMi users. Seriously, this news article has turned into a flame-war.
    1. steeda763's Avatar
      steeda763 -
      I'm a pretty moral and honest person (often to my detriment in this world), but I download and play ROMs that have been out of production for 20 years or so. Is it stealing? Yes. Do I justify my actions, possibly irrationally? Yes.

      A) The developers haven't made money from the product in many years, so I'm not taking money from the people who deserve it.

      B) Old game cartridges and consoles get broken, destroyed, and lost all the time. While there are still "licenses" to use the game out floating around (and I use license loosely here, relative to the old carts), the physical media in which those games were delivered no longer exist in a useful state, making it practically impossible to play some of the more rare games.

      With the advent of retro gaming becoming big, I can see both arguments becoming nullified, but slowly. For instance, I no longer need to play my Final Fantasy III ROM because I purchased the iOS version from the App Store. It puts money where it needs to go again, and that's what matters to me.
    1. vedavis's Avatar
      vedavis -
      Quote Originally Posted by aidanski View Post
      My god MMi users. Seriously, this news article has turned into a flame-war.
      Blame SuperJerk. This started over frivolous reprimands.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
      Blame SuperJerk. This started over frivolous reprimands.
      Nothing frivolous about following the rules of the website. If you dont feel like you can follow them then simply do not post.
    1. Trypt4mine's Avatar
      Trypt4mine -
      Maybe crapple should grab some console emulators then. Androids got the right idea
    1. vedavis's Avatar
      vedavis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
      Nothing frivolous about following the rules of the website. If you dont feel like you can follow them then simply do not post.
      I have an attitude problem. And so do you sir. [KISS, KISS]
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by vedavis View Post
      I have an attitude problem. And so do you sir. [KISS, KISS]
      No attitude problem here. Just doing my job
      Feel free to post whatever you want, within the rules of the site.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      This isn't even the real game, but a mashup of a bunch of them. It also looks laggy beyond playability.
    1. Trypt4mine's Avatar
      Trypt4mine -
      Quote Originally Posted by ADF View Post
      super-duper fail!
      +1
    1. Co1d Night's Avatar
      Co1d Night -
      Quote Originally Posted by CX3NT3_713 View Post
      *moderator correction*
      O.o
    1. imilad's Avatar
      imilad -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      Not number 1, you are number 2(like everyone that posts on a news story)




      Since the gameplay is bad reviews I wouldn't want to try it.
      wow! did you seriously photoshop this to prove your point?
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Warning/Infraction spree! Woooooo! Keep it up y'all. My ban hammer hasn't been used in a while
    1. i.Annie's Avatar
      i.Annie -
      Suddenly got quiet in here.
    1. Stray's Avatar
      Stray -
      Lol.
    1. KiraXD's Avatar
      KiraXD -
      on topic... the person responsible for approving this should be fired... seriously do they have monkeys working the app store approval system? No one that dumb should be given a job moderating games and apps for infringement.
    1. Rob2G's Avatar
      Rob2G -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      Irony, I hope. There is no justifiable reason to steal. (Caveat- if you are starving, stealing food to survive. But then, why are you starving.? Good reason or just lazy?)

      I come to your house and steal your game system because I don't have one- no.

      I steal your car because... same. No.

      I make a product and try to sell it. You steal it because you don't want to pay for it. No.

      Stealing is stealing. Period. Nintendo OWNS Mario. Deal with it. If you want Mario, buy it. If it is not available for your phone, deal with it. Warez is stealing. Admit you are a thief and want something for nothing.

      As to ROMS, under U.S. Copyright law (though under attack by Clinton's revision of digital media laws, which is contested), you have the right to make one backup of your purchased media under Fair Use- as a backup. While producers make this more and more difficult, it is a recognized part of the law. But any other distribution of, or ownership of, media not made by you for that specific purpose is illegal.

      Morality is within you. You choose how you behave and how you deal with your actions.

      But I bet your moms taught ALL of you little thieves that stealing is bad. You are just choosing to ignore her.
      I'm not a pirate, I've caused a few flame wars ******** at the pirates here. All I was saying is that all the pirates that I have argued with here feel they have some "justifiable" reason to steal when there isn't any reason to.