• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Is Sony Ericsson Trying To Rip Off The iPhone?



    This week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, an old but still familiar (if not largely irrelevant) name in the smartphone business resurfaced. Regaining some attention in an industry that has largely moved beyond the abilities of the flailing cell phone manufacturer, Sony Ericsson made a pledge that turned some heads. It seems the company is aiming to give US consumers "want they want."

    What do they want, you ask? According hints from Sony Ericsson, cheap iPhone knock offs.

    While comparisons to the "comeback kid" known as as Motorola go without saying, here's what we know for certain about Sony Ericsson's ambitious plans. Last fall we learned that Sony Ericsson has in the works its first Android phone - the Xperia X10. At the Mobile World Congress, however, Sony Ericsson revealed another pair of Android phones. No carriers have yet been confirmed, but there are suggestions that AT&T would likely play "let's make a deal" and do business with Sony Ericsson.

    The X10 looks like a touch-screen iPhone knock off. The X10 mini looks similar, but smaller. The X10 mini pro is the most different, offering a slide-out keyboard.

    Although prices were not announced, Sony Ericsson is hinting at competitive but affordable pricing for their new smartphones. With the company's revenue in the dumps, it's anyone's guess if these iPhone-like offerings will give the company a boost, or effectively pound one more nail into its proverbial coffin.

    Image via The Associated Press
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Is Sony Ericsson Trying To Rip Off The iPhone? started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 70 Comments
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
      Oh yes because Sony hasn't invented anything overwhelmingly important like the VCR, or the first portable media players (which quite literally paved the way for your beloved iPhone), or the 3.5 inch floppy, CD, and Blu-Ray Disc right?
      And heres me thinking the best Sony and electronic device is the PlayStation, which it is. Sony also changed the gaming world with the PlayStation 1.

      Don't Apple also copy anything that's successfull and then make it better...

      Why isn't the Nexus One, HTC HD2 etc trying to "Rip Off The iPhone"?
      The SE looks nothing like the iPhone but I agree the iPhone is the best.
    1. aperry's Avatar
      aperry -
      Maybe someone can explain how that thing is an iPhone ripoff? Looks totally different to me. I guess it must be the front-facing camera for video calls. Oh wait, the iPhone can't do that.
    1. MPS3's Avatar
      MPS3 -
      this is old news

      http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...X10_LowerBadge
    1. confucious's Avatar
      confucious -
      No matter how much I disagree that this is iPhone news, it does seem to have provoked quite a response....
    1. pyromcr's Avatar
      pyromcr -
      every one has been ripping off the iphone ever since it came out...
    1. matthew1111's Avatar
      matthew1111 -
      Just looking at the picture makes me go "oh look, its another fail!"
    1. TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
      TheDirtyDiddler -
      If you're NOT trying to knock off the iPhone right now then you're not going to be staying in business very long.
    1. KartRacer's Avatar
      KartRacer -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
      If you're NOT trying to knock off the iPhone right now then you're not going to be staying in business very long.
      Hardly. The interface is growing a little stale, the fact you can't set a background image is extremely lame and stupid, no customization of even the sounds is lame, shall I go on? Android is getting better by leaps and bounds and one of the reasons it's not as popular is you don't have flat out morons like Messany, a supposed 'writer' for this site, buying them in droves. Morons like him will take anything that Apple makes a the best thing ever made.

      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      No matter how much I disagree that this is iPhone news, it does seem to have provoked quite a response....
      Because Messany is an idiot, and it's a great way to generate site hits. His and other lame posts by the so called writers here are approaching the lameness of sites like TUAW at a rapid pace. This is a stupid post and 90% of the garbage he writes is quoted from other news outlets.
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by tfd1978 View Post
      WTF??? X10 a knock-off????? WTF???? That's a great phone!!! Stop comparing everything you see around you with Apple, and iPhone, and iPad, and......
      iPhone the little sister? Nah i think not since the iPhone GUI was the first, and then came the other siblings trying to imitate what was already given to us. Your analogy is incorrect.

      Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
      Hardly. The interface is growing a little stale, the fact you can't set a background image is extremely lame and stupid, no customization of even the sounds is lame, shall I go on? Android is getting better by leaps and bounds and one of the reasons it's not as popular is you don't have flat out morons like Messany, a supposed 'writer' for this site, buying them in droves. Morons like him will take anything that Apple makes a the best thing ever made.



      Because Messany is an idiot, and it's a great way to generate site hits. His and other lame posts by the so called writers here are approaching the lameness of sites like TUAW at a rapid pace. This is a stupid post and 90% of the garbage he writes is quoted from other news outlets.
      if his posts are so lame why waste your time reading it and actually posting something about it? Seems like you are more of an idiot for doing so.
    1. gotjpeg's Avatar
      gotjpeg -
      Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
      Sony are experts in that department. They copy everything that's successful.
      no no no sony makes things and tries to get everyone to follow, once it fails they then adapt to the norm

      ie: betamax, mini disc, memory stick duo, bluray
    1. Luppin's Avatar
      Luppin -
      Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
      no no no sony makes things and tries to get everyone to follow, once it fails they then adapt to the norm

      ie: betamax, mini disc, memory stick duo, bluray
      Because it didn't beat HD-DVD as the dominant HD format.
    1. MusicDoc's Avatar
      MusicDoc -
      Zune?? Cool? Now THERE'S an oxymoron!
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      It sucks because it is not an iPhone. Even though the iPhone is capable of doing so much more, but can't. /sarcasm
      Says the person with an iPhone....

      Guarantee this phone's touch screen is not as responsive and accurate as the iPhone, just like texting on Android. If it does I'll be surprised!

      Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
      iPhone the little sister? Nah i think not since the iPhone GUI was the first, and then came the other siblings trying to imitate what was already given to us. Your analogy is incorrect.



      if his posts are so lame why waste your time reading it and actually posting something about it? Seems like you are more of an idiot for doing so.
      Agreed! He owns an Apple product, spends time reading and posting on an Apple Forum, and then just likes to bash on Apple. Seems like a lot of time thinking about a company you don't like....nothing better to do in your life?
    1. badass1469's Avatar
      badass1469 -
      lol what makes you people think that the iPhone was the first multi touch screen smart phone, there has been quite a few of phones way before the iPhone, if anything i'd say that the iPhone is more of a knock off of the other companies that had this first. but still i like the iPhone and don't have any complaints about it.
    1. Li-ion's Avatar
      Li-ion -
      but X10 > iPhone.
    1. 24trepid's Avatar
      24trepid -
      If AT&T gets this, i'm all over it ........
    1. eternalza's Avatar
      eternalza -
      Quote Originally Posted by 24trepid View Post
      If AT&T gets this, i'm all over it ........
      I'd say theres a chance. lol

      Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 clears for landing at AT&T
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      oh GEEZ here we go. now they finally come out [4 years late in the game] with an "iPHone killer". WHATEVER.
    1. Taniban's Avatar
      Taniban -
      But it looks nothing like an iPhone though...
    1. zoolander369's Avatar
      zoolander369 -
      Seriously?

      It looks nothing like the iPhone.

      Not one bit.