• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • RockApp Update Brings SSH Security: Another Reason To Use RockApp


    I just noticed an update to the RockApp and after installing, and rebooting, I was prompted by RockApp with a note that told me my SSH Password was still at the default of 'alpine' and that I should change my password immediately. (I just restored recently and had not done this yet)

    After accepting the pop-up, I was able to enter in a new password. I was then informed that the password had been successfully changed.

    Most of you have probably already changed your passwords by now, but if you haven't, this is possibly the easiest way to do so without entering the terminal.

    Not only does this update bring an easy way to change your SSH Password, I believe this is another huge step forward for RockApp and another reason you should use both Cydia AND RockApp. I am starting to use RockApp more and more, and the stability just keeps getting better and better.

    2.15 UPDATES
    • (2.15.3 Update - Bug Fix for Apps with Space in Name)
    • Warning for SSH - mobile/root passwords as default 'alpine'
    • Force Removal option for "stuck" packages
    • RockID Manage View now shows lists of Purchase Apps
    • Added forgot password link
    • Ability to disable MobileSubstrate Extensions via Extension Manager
    • Fix: Removal of sources added via Package
    • Fix: Upgrade/Dependency Installs Fixed
    • Fix: For purchasing apps when can't find catalog
    • Fix: Adding user entered repos sometimes points to wrong repo url
    • Fix: Homepage Tag


    Related Posts:
    RockApp Store Projects $2Mil/Year
    RockApp Launches 2.0
    Rock Your Phone [ LAUNCH ] - iPhone Application Stores Abound
    This article was originally published in forum thread: RockApp Update Brings SSH Security: Another Reason To Use RockApp started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 82 Comments
    1. skeels's Avatar
      skeels -
      dtay: Yes - most people forget to change mobile too (even I forget sometimes). Also, at least 25% of our apps use MobileSubstrate - and it's going towards 50% in the next couple weeks.

      Thanks all for your positive feedback - great to see you're enjoying some of our new features
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      I hate to be that guy but I'm not that big a fan of rock app idk why. I think it started when I went to download the snes emulator, it downloaded and with it came rock app for no reason, then I have to pay for the snes emulator? I understand you guys work hard but what happened to the free days. The reviews system is nice maybe it's not rock apps fault but there putting a price tag on every last jailbroken app nowdays
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      Welcome to the free enterprise system Maestro. Look in Cydia and, starting on the first page, you will find a lot of apps are not free either. Has nothing to do with Rock, has to do with good developers dedicating their time to create products for sale. Just like any other world citizen they too have bills to pay. Enjoy the free ones, they paved the way for what's available now.
    1. brianlg's Avatar
      brianlg -
      Rock app is the worst thing ever invented for the iphone. I can't express how much I hate it, and how many times it's bricked my phone. I will never install again.
    1. exNavy's Avatar
      exNavy -
      I still don't need or want rock app.

      I guess this is good for the crowd out there who need their hands held.
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Quote Originally Posted by jboone View Post
      Prob because rock bricked your phone,...lol
      ok?.....i guess i should have laid a little bit heavier onto the sarcasm here. yeah....my password has been changed since the dark ages. how bout that?


      Quote Originally Posted by romeo_herman View Post
      Your password has been changed....:

      Rock can't detect your password...
      hey..this fella gets me...

      Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
      Rock app is the worst thing ever invented for the iphone. I can't express how much I hate it, and how many times it's bricked my phone. I will never install again.
      dont you mean crashed or sent into "safemode" or dont you have mobilesubstrate installed?
    1. Nick Hesson's Avatar
      Nick Hesson -
      Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
      welcome to the free enterprise system maestro. Look in cydia and, starting on the first page, you will find a lot of apps are not free either. Has nothing to do with rock, has to do with good developers dedicating their time to create products for sale. Just like any other world citizen they too have bills to pay. Enjoy the free ones, they paved the way for what's available now.

      +100
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      that's a great feature to add to RockApp! I've also been using RockApp more and more and i really like the features and the GUI. I've already changed my password for SSH so that's prob why i haven't seen that notification.
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      I tried Rock App for a time, but I found it was very unstable, so I switched back to good ol' reliable Cydia.
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
      Welcome to the free enterprise system Maestro. Look in Cydia and, starting on the first page, you will find a lot of apps are not free either. Has nothing to do with Rock, has to do with good developers dedicating their time to create products for sale. Just like any other world citizen they too have bills to pay. Enjoy the free ones, they paved the way for what's available now.
      I can count the cydia apps that cost money, when I opened rock app all i seen was buy buy, if they really want money.... App Store! But no they can't conform to apples rules and make a game or what not they have to make things apple wouldn't allow and if no one else was charging for they wouldn't even think of putting a price tag on it

      Welcome to the monopoly based enterprise system metaserph
    1. metaserph's Avatar
      metaserph -
      As with everything, Rock has improved greatly over time. So have Cydia offerings. Keep in mind both Cydia and Rock are means to install and purchase apps. Both have their own apps for sale and trial. I've had my share of "safe modes" with both Cydia and Rock but there's always a fix on the horizon, most times. I say give it another try, it opens the possibilities, for me.

      @Maestro

      If what you say was correct, there would be NO Cydia and everything in Cydia would be FREE. Think about it my friend. Cydia and Rock and whoever comes next did NOT come to being because AppStore refused them or they couldn't "meet their standards" or whatever. Easy to see when you understand business principles. But I'm not trying to start an argument. You are FREE t use ONLY free apps from whomever. Enjoy your iPhone!
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      I tried Rock App for a time, but I found it was very unstable, so I switched back to good ol' reliable Cydia.
      true true...there are in fact some instabilities between rock and cydia. ive been with rock since the early stages and they have had quite a few improvements with instabilities over time. in the old days yes....my phone would crash quite often. quite often the arguments would be with extentions of rocks verses cydias. i have seen less and less of these over the updates. rock is quite conscience of taking care of issues, as long as you inform of such situations.
    1. saurik's Avatar
      saurik -
      For the record, I wanted to add this feature to Cydia back when I launched it in 2008, but all of the major players told me "no, I don't need you babysitting me". (If you will remember, the reason we have the ability to change the password at all since 1.1.3 is because of the work I did repairing the passwd tool, which the people running Installer didn't care about and had let rot, as Apple's code didn't actually work correctly on the iPhone.) In fact, when I even indirectly mentioned adding such a feature to Cydia on Twitter a couple weeks ago, I again got a ton of people yelling back at me "don't you dare put that feature in Cydia" despite the fact that I was obviously right: users were installing SSH onto their phones and not realizing the security ramifications. *sigh* I hate people.
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
      For the record, I wanted to add this feature to Cydia back when I launched it in 2008, but all of the major players told me "no, I don't need you babysitting me". (If you will remember, the reason we have the ability to change the password at all since 1.1.3 is because of the work I did repairing the passwd tool, which the people running Installer didn't care about and had let rot, as Apple's code didn't actually work correctly on the iPhone.) In fact, when I even indirectly mentioned adding such a feature to Cydia on Twitter a couple weeks ago, I again got a ton of people yelling back at me "don't you dare put that feature in Cydia" despite the fact that I was obviously right: users were installing SSH onto their phones and not realizing the security ramifications. *sigh* I hate people.
      Hey buddy! That's a bunch of ******** calling it babysitting, I forget what is called (I think the ECID) you store for us when we first entered cydia everyone like that and didn't call it babysiiting. Don't make the ssh password change manditory and they'll like it. And make reload time shorter
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
      Hey buddy! That's a bunch of ******** calling it babysitting, I forget what is called (I think the ECID) you store for us when we first entered cydia everyone like that and didn't call it babysiiting. Don't make the ssh password change manditory and they'll like it. And make reload time shorter
      DUDE!...do you even realize who your speaking to?
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
      For the record, I wanted to add this feature to Cydia back when I launched it in 2008, but all of the major players told me "no, I don't need you babysitting me". (If you will remember, the reason we have the ability to change the password at all since 1.1.3 is because of the work I did repairing the passwd tool, which the people running Installer didn't care about and had let rot, as Apple's code didn't actually work correctly on the iPhone.) In fact, when I even indirectly mentioned adding such a feature to Cydia on Twitter a couple weeks ago, I again got a ton of people yelling back at me "don't you dare put that feature in Cydia" despite the fact that I was obviously right: users were installing SSH onto their phones and not realizing the security ramifications. *sigh* I hate people.
      :/ that sucks to know that it was rejected saurik. You should have implemented it anyway. For the record i still use Cydia!
    1. The Maestro's Avatar
      The Maestro -
      Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
      DUDE!...do you even realize who your speaking to?
      I have no idea. I just felt like talking to some random guy about cydia, question is do you know who you are talking to
    1. Fewzz's Avatar
      Fewzz -
      Sorry but Rock is a no go for me and my friends , it always ends up forcing us to restore after awhile , rock is dreadful in my eyes , why take the risk, well stick with cydia. Maybe its just us but cant see that till rock is 100% reliable and works alongside cydia without any problems well avoid it like the plague.
    1. metaljay's Avatar
      metaljay -
      this newupdate seems to break my cyntact, :S
    1. Enkidu's Avatar
      Enkidu -
      What an unnecessary post about some minor feature in Rock app! That's news?! Frontpage?!? Are you kidding me?

      The way MMI is slowly turning into Rock's ad platform is more than annoying.
      Do they pay you guys to write posts like this? Where else is this fanboy mentality coming from?!

      And btw, am I the only one thinking, that people who HACK their iPhone should be able to copy/paste one freaking line into terminal from one of the countless tutorials?!?