• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Skype Update Includes Jailbreak Warning


    Skype has updated to version 1.0.2 on the App Store (iTunes link). The update mostly includes basic bug fixes but also includes a very interesting warning. iClarified reader (and jailbreaker) Francois noticed this new little warning when he launched his updated copy of Skype.

    "This version of Skype is only supported on unmodified iPhone OS 2.2"

    While the warning appears to be threatening he was able to continue to use the app normally. The warning is most likely intended to notice jailbreakers that Skype may have incompatibilities with jailbroken apps that do not use MobileSubstrate (you can read all about it in Cydia) and that Skype does not support issues that may arise because of that.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Skype Update Includes Jailbreak Warning started by Cody Overcash View original post
    Comments 47 Comments
    1. davshirley's Avatar
      davshirley -
      If an app can tell if a phone is jailbroken, it seems to me that a simple thing that apple could do to curb jailbreaking is simply to modify the app store application to refuse to download any apps on a device that appears to be jailbroken...

      Most jailbreakers, myself included, still use and rely on app store apps more than the jailbroken apps.

      Come to think of it, they could also modify some of the other apps along those lines. ie: if jailbroken then disable phone dialpad, disable sms, etc...
    1. DiPSET08's Avatar
      DiPSET08 -
      Quote Originally Posted by davshirley View Post
      If an app can tell if a phone is jailbroken, it seems to me that a simple thing that apple could do to curb jailbreaking is simply to modify the app store application to refuse to download any apps on a device that appears to be jailbroken...

      Most jailbreakers, myself included, still use and rely on app store apps more than the jailbroken apps.

      Come to think of it, they could also modify some of the other apps along those lines. ie: if jailbroken then disable phone dialpad, disable sms, etc...
      That would really suck.
      At least I don't use skype in order to be worried about this.
      I think I should learn about it though. Seems important.
    1. JStraitiff's Avatar
      JStraitiff -
      * adds skype to the blacklist

      i hate when this bull happens, why would they do that.. its not like they are losing revenue by cracking a free app
    1. abhaykhanna's Avatar
      abhaykhanna -
      So the new version of skype still works with jailbroken iphones or not? Is it safe to update or wait for a newer version of mobile substrate?
    1. llescaflownell's Avatar
      llescaflownell -
      I believe the reason why they put the warning up is because so many people whined about skype not working on their phones (jailbroken phones), thus giving really bad ratings. Consequently, they put the warning up so that the jailbreakers know it is not skype's responsibility or obligation to fix problems caused by jailbreaking their iPhones.

      Oh, and I think that the warning is widespread, meaning it may appear on phones not jailbroken. If it was that easy to detect jailbroken phones, Apple would have "solved" their problem by inhibiting app store apps to work on jailbroken iPhones.

      Just my opinion, of course.
    1. ianhutch1's Avatar
      ianhutch1 -
      Im running 3.0 Beta 3 and get the message APP_UNSUPPORTED_OS_ALERT when opening the new Skype, still seems to work fine though. I think its just a general warning to tell you that if something doesnt work its not because of the program its because the program is not supported on the OS you are running and the same with jailbroken phones.
    1. rud3bwoy's Avatar
      rud3bwoy -
      skype still works 100 percent even on jb iphone 3gs

      i tested it out and it is fully working

      chatting,making and receiving calls via through edge and my wireless network
    1. ianhutch1's Avatar
      ianhutch1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by llescaflownell View Post
      If it was that easy to detect jailbroken phones, Apple would have "solved" their problem by inhibiting app store apps to work on jailbroken iPhones.
      There is no way they would do that, they would be losing revenue.
    1. rud3bwoy's Avatar
      rud3bwoy -
      well there is a way to track down apps that have been cracked,online ones that is,beejive took steps to block those with pirated copies forcing them to buy the app LOL

      i was one of them but 15 bucks worth it,free while it lasted
    1. pacmac's Avatar
      pacmac -
      theres always ways around this....

      i dont get it.. its a free app...
    1. Cody Overcash's Avatar
      Cody Overcash -
      Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
      * adds skype to the blacklist

      i hate when this bull happens, why would they do that.. its not like they are losing revenue by cracking a free app
      Quote Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
      theres always ways around this....

      i dont get it.. its a free app...
      well

      Quote Originally Posted by MYSELF View Post
      While the warning appears to be threatening he was able to continue to use the app normally. The warning is most likely intended to notice jailbreakers that Skype may have incompatibilities with jailbroken apps that do not use MobileSubstrate (you can read all about it in Cydia) and that Skype does not support issues that may arise because of that.
    1. rud3bwoy's Avatar
      rud3bwoy -
      Why are u guys crying no offense,but it still works 100 percent as it did before,just a little warning that you only see one time and that's it
    1. marc180292's Avatar
      marc180292 -
      Ive updated and the apps works. For people that are so scared I am saying this now it is a notification! Just a warning!
    1. drewbix's Avatar
      drewbix -
      anyone know how to get beejive working again???
    1. seven77's Avatar
      seven77 -
      Edit: broomhead
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by seven77 View Post
      edit: broomhead
      Why are you discussing cracked apps on MMi???

      Besides Beejive will not work for anyone, last time I checked, it was being protected by Beejive servers based on UUID(????) or something like that. So if you haven't bought Beejive, it won't work at all not even older versions. Replacing the iTunesMetadata.plist just messes up the App Store updating process, I heard loads of people were complainging about that issue.

      Ok I just read that replacing the iTunesMetadata.plist will work for only a few people, who barely use Beejive but you will get blacklisted as soon as you start to use Beejive.
    1. Jomann's Avatar
      Jomann -
      i was freaked out at first, but it was only a warning, This app doesn't DETECT anything, its just a warning guys.
    1. Luppin's Avatar
      Luppin -
      Quote Originally Posted by drewbix View Post
      anyone know how to get beejive working again???
      Beejive is one of the very very few apps that are actually worth the money spent on them, so it makes no sense at all to me to not purchase it
    1. wgm214's Avatar
      wgm214 -
      Yup i got a warning about it being unsupported, I think its just bc I'm on 3.0
    1. billchase2's Avatar
      billchase2 -
      I received this as well but everything seems to function properly.