• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Microsoft Latest Ad: Buy a PC instead of a Mac and go to Hawaii with the Savings


    Microsoft’s Canadian website is now advertising the merits of Windows PC’s over that of Apple computers by comparing various models and configurations. This kind of advertising is nothing new of course, however, the PC’s that Microsoft has chosen to compare are hardly evenly match machines. Mac’s have always fetched a higher price than rivals, but it’s all about what you get for your money that really counts.

    Microsoft argues that with the money you save by buying a PC instead of a Mac, you’ll be able to use that savings to go on a Hawaiian vacation instead. The tag line, “Surf the web or surf Hawaii,” is Microsoft’s attempt to entice customers to chose a PC over a higher priced Mac.

    If your only concern is price then the choice is obvious, go with the PC and you’ll save some hard-earned cash in the process. However, Apple doesn’t have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry for nothing. Microsoft is well aware of this fact and would rather that people focus on the price instead of the specs.

    Over the last few years, Apple has steadily chipped away at Microsoft’s dominance and their latest ad campaign clearly indicates that they consider Apple to be a serious threat. Microsoft’s market share may still be close to 90%, but Apple maintains a considerable lead when with it comes to portable devices like the iPhone and iPad. Does Microsoft really have anything to worry about? Probably not, but where would they get their best ideas from if it weren’t for Apple?

    Source: TUAW
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Microsoft Latest Ad: Buy a PC instead of a Mac and go to Hawaii with the Savings started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 272 Comments
    1. chile7236's Avatar
      chile7236 -
      while i love my mbp, i don't consider it a far better product than my custom built PC....both have their merits. this apple vs. MS is just like the AMD vs. Intel fanboys.
    1. ShredNasty's Avatar
      ShredNasty -
      Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
      When did the measure of a computer's worth become it's gaming catalogue? If you're buying a computer to "pwn some noobs", then get a PC. But I'm an adult, so I buy Mac.
      Thank you! How in the wide world of f*ck is a GROWN *** MAN gonna drop 1-3k to play vidya games? Someone needs a nice hot bowl of grow the f*ck up.
    1. jake505710@gmail.com's Avatar
      that ad didn't sell me one bit, look at the imac comparison for there 27inch, the closest competitor was 100$ less!!! and has a 4inch smaller screen. the only thing the imac is lacking is bluray but i stream everything so who cares! the imac is the best all in one. it is where quality meets price.
    1. iSteed's Avatar
      iSteed -
      Who would have thought this article would have started a flame war...lol :0
      My personal opinion is I have had pc all my life and I believe it's like some one before me just said... It's not just the hardware that should be compared. What about the complete package?? A full unibody aluminum enclosure and a glass screen with 7 hour battery life and the best operating system out there... Show me an all metal enclosed windows machine for the same price as my 1200 MacBook pro. I won't even list all the various bs associated to dealing with the windows operating system. Sure... No doubt you can get a powerful and cheap windows machine but for me.... Buying a MacBook was the best decision I ever made.

      Yours truly, rob. (AKA Blind apple fanboi) lol
    1. DeathDude's Avatar
      DeathDude -
      Hawaii would be nice, but the headaches would come back after the trip.
    1. smoelge's Avatar
      smoelge -
      Apple products are just insanely overprized! You have to spend $1000 more to get the same specs you could get on a pc.
      But i would get a mbp if i could afford one.
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      Thank you! How in the wide world of f*ck is a GROWN *** MAN gonna drop 1-3k to play vidya games? Someone needs a nice hot bowl of grow the f*ck up.
      You must be a child to make a comment like that. While the oldest generations may not play games, anyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's grew up with computers around and they still play games today and this trend will only continue.

      Just so you know, you won't suddenly wake up some day, be grown-up and boring with no interests.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
      Who would have thought this article would have started a flame war...lol :0
      My personal opinion is I have had pc all my life and I believe it's like some one before me just said... It's not just the hardware that should be compared. What about the complete package?? A full unibody aluminum enclosure and a glass screen with 7 hour battery life and the best operating system out there... Show me an all metal enclosed windows machine for the same price as my 1200 MacBook pro. I won't even list all the various bs associated to dealing with the windows operating system. Sure... No doubt you can get a powerful and cheap windows machine but for me.... Buying a MacBook was the best decision I ever made.

      Yours truly, rob. (AKA Blind apple fanboi) lol
      You almost had me sold, but then you lost me on the "best operating system" bit.
    1. esuke_ueki93's Avatar
      esuke_ueki93 -
      Although pcs have a lot advantages than macs (like most of you guys are saying) but clearly the Mac family does have something better than pc. Clearly, if you are planning to use the computer to play video games all day you can't go for a pc (try Alienware, you will love it ) but if you are planning on getting a well-rounded computer for use in ... like 4 or 5 years then get a Mac. It doesn't have as many software as the pcs but in time things will change. Apple has recently opened the Mac App Store, that maybe the point when problem about software on Mac is solved.

      I have been using pc since I knew how to use a computer (of course) and I just recently got a mbp for university, in my opinion the mbp can do almost everything a pc can do, if there isn't a software for Mac OS you can use Sandbox to install Window XP, Vista, 7 blah blah on it to use the software you want (vice versa).

      Though prices are the problem here but if you have the money, just go for the mac or pc (whichever you like - you can call me an apple fanboy if you want :P) and if you don't have enough, get a pc. Forget about Hawaii.

      That's my opinion from an 18 years old.
      Hope you like it.
      Sorry about my English it's my second language!


      Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    1. ShredNasty's Avatar
      ShredNasty -
      Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
      You must be a child to make a comment like that. While the oldest generations may not play games, anyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's grew up with computers around and they still play games today and this trend will only continue.

      Just so you know, you won't suddenly wake up some day, be grown-up and boring with no interests.
      1983 right here. I have an XBOX. But there is a huge difference in spending a few hundred and spending a few grand. I love my FPSs, but I'd rather take a backwards crap than spend THOUSANDS to play video games. My opinion, bruh. I have things like a daughter and a career and a home to worry about.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      But it's Magical! You can't deny anything that's Magical.
    1. TheJailbreakGenius's Avatar
      TheJailbreakGenius -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Think about it.
      There are millions of games for the PC.
      There are millions of apps for the PC.
      There are now a handful of games for the Mac.
      There are limited apps for the Mac.
      The PC is cheaper.
      The Mac is expensive.

      The smart people get a PC.
      Clones get a Mac.

      Now you decide.
      Wow, y don't u read the article first. Wiley SPECIFICALLY SAID that only people who care about what they get for their money will buy a Mac.

      PC is cheap in more ways than just price. The average PC gets outdated in 3-6 months, and breaks down after 2 years. An iMac gets outdated 8-12 months, and that is if u buy the base model. iMacs have a 10 year life expectancy before they break down.

      Also, PC's component quality is equal is lower than nuclear waste. With a poorly designed OS, PC's can't even run at their full potential, even though there really isn't any.

      For gaming, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Roblox, and MineCraft are intense graphics and CPU processes, and their great PC games as well as Mac games. But think about this:

      Would you rather enjoy the game on a nice big 27 screen, with 4Gigs of ram standard so you don't have to wait long load times?

      Or would you rather use a 11 inch HP hunk of plastic, with loading times so slow you could run 10 marathons in a row, and after all that still be faster than the loading bar.

      Trust me: I had Microsoft flight sim X for PC, and it's a great game. But I'm telling you, the loading times were cruel.
    1. ShredNasty's Avatar
      ShredNasty -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      But it's Magical! You can't deny anything that's Magical.
      Scumbag Steve Jobs - say that the ipad 2 is a revolutionary p..
    1. dale1v's Avatar
      dale1v -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJailbreakGenius View Post
      Wow, y don't u read the article first. Wiley SPECIFICALLY SAID that only people who care about what they get for their money will buy a Mac.

      PC is cheap in more ways than just price. The average PC gets outdated in 3-6 months, and breaks down after 2 years. An iMac gets outdated 8-12 months, and that is if u buy the base model. iMacs have a 10 year life expectancy before they break down.

      Also, PC's component quality is equal is lower than nuclear waste. With a poorly designed OS, PC's can't even run at their full potential, even though there really isn't any.

      For gaming, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Roblox, and MineCraft are intense graphics and CPU processes, and their great PC games as well as Mac games. But think about this:

      Would you rather enjoy the game on a nice big 27 screen, with 4Gigs of ram standard so you don't have to wait long load times?

      Or would you rather use a 11 inch HP hunk of plastic, with loading times so slow you could run 10 marathons in a row, and after all that still be faster than the loading bar.

      Trust me: I had Microsoft flight sim X for PC, and it's a great game. But I'm telling you, the loading times were cruel.
      I'm sorry, WHAT?
    1. spider_romeo's Avatar
      spider_romeo -
      I buy Mac and go to Hawaii....
    1. TheJailbreakGenius's Avatar
      TheJailbreakGenius -
      Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
      Ok, example. Show me a link to unreal tournament on Mac.
      Show me a link to COD Modern Warfare 2 on Mac.
      Show me a link to Postal 2 on Mac. (Postal 2 not Portal 2)
      Show me a link to Duke Nukem 3D on Mac.
      Show me a link to Operation Flashpoint on Mac.

      Want links to them on PC? I can give you thousands and thats only 5 games. There are millions of PC games out there but there are not millions of Mac games. If your lucky there will be 1000 or so games on Mac...

      BTW, I said MAC games NOT iPhone games.
      Anyone who plays POSTAL 2 probably isn't someone we should listen to. Duke Nukem? WTF is the correct response.
    1. TheJailbreakGenius's Avatar
      TheJailbreakGenius -
      Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
      When did the measure of a computer's worth become it's gaming catalogue? If you're buying a computer to "pwn some noobs", then get a PC. But I'm an adult, so I buy Mac.
      Great point
    1. slickric's Avatar
      slickric -
      Quote Originally Posted by smoelge View Post
      Apple products are just insanely overprized! You have to spend $1000 more to get the same specs you could get on a pc.
      But i would get a mbp if i could afford one.
      Haha 'its way too expensive for what it is but i still want it.'

      IMHO both have their merits depending on what you intend to use it for. For anyone who is only using price to justify choise, do you carry this logic through life and only wear $10 shirts from kmart as opposed to something more expensive which 'does the same thing' but likely feels more comfy, fits better and lasts longer? Do you only buy cheap tv's from radioshack rather than a sony for example 'because it does the same thing'
    1. TheJailbreakGenius's Avatar
      TheJailbreakGenius -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      Yep, and 3 PCs later, my Mac will still be running and have value. Hell, I could sell my 7 year old G5 PPC for about $600. Can you even sell a 7 year old PC?

      Clones, huh? The 90% group are smart free thinking scientist geniuses and the 10% group are dummy clone retards? With that logic, I'd get further debating a white dog turd.

      And, Hackintosh? Better than Lackintosh, I suppose. For my cash, I'll take the sexy *** aluminum Apple product, thank you.
      Lmao
    1. TheJailbreakGenius's Avatar
      TheJailbreakGenius -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      Thank you! How in the wide world of f*ck is a GROWN *** MAN gonna drop 1-3k to play vidya games? Someone needs a nice hot bowl of grow the f*ck up.
      Lmao