• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iTunes May Be Forced to Charge Local Tax if New Federal Law Passes


    The tax man may be coming for US consumers of digital content and other goods purchased online. US Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL) is taking direct aim at the likes of iTunes and Amazon in an effort that could force them to begin collecting local sales tax on all online transactions.

    Durbin, the second longest serving Democrat in the US Senate, isn't dishing many details on the proposal for now. It's believed the measure will be formally introduced sometime next week - you know, after Tax Day comes and goes. Still, the breadth of the anticipated proposal is seemingly in line with the longstanding remarks Durbin and some of his colleagues in Congress have made in recent months regarding online transactions and the process of collecting local taxes. "Why should out-of-state companies that sell their products online have an unfair advantage over Main Street bricks-and-mortar businesses?" Durbin said in February. "Out-of-state companies that aren't paying their fair share of taxes are sticking Illinois residents and businesses with the tab."

    Unfortunately for lawmakers, however, simply passing a bill demanding Apple, Amazon, and others to charge local taxes will not be uncomplicated. With 7,500 different taxing jurisdictions in the United States today, no one has the slightest clue as to how Congress might smoothly implement or mandate such a sweeping overhaul.

    According to CNET, The Direct Marketing Association, which filed suit against the state of Colorado in 2010 to impede a similar law from taking effect, says it will fight Durbin. "You're just giving the states a blank check to make changes without any congressional oversight," says Jerry Cerasale, the DMA's senior vice president for government affairs. "We oppose that...We think that's abrogating the authority of Congress."

    Source: CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iTunes May Be Forced to Charge Local Tax if New Federal Law Passes started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 125 Comments
    1. rrgutierrez2's Avatar
      rrgutierrez2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      They'll never get this deficit paid for. This country is f'd!

      Enjoy ur iTunes while it lasts. Pretty soon this country won't be able to pay for its own self defense....and then we'll be in a heap of trouble.
      We need to pay for it theres no question about it we just hace to get the right people in office.
    1. Darrius777's Avatar
      Darrius777 -
      I knew he was talking about Bush.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Personally I think it's ridiculous that so may internet sales get around being taxed. Why shouldn't items on the net be taxed, after all?
    1. rhekt's Avatar
      rhekt -
      Ive allways paid taxes on iTunes. But this isn't souly for iTunes, but /all/ Internet purchasing. Some states don't charge tax for online purchases. And I've had the lucky advantage to partake. Its get some give some. Lets leave it alone we all win sometimes and loose sometimes.

      That is all.
    1. Rpjr's Avatar
      Rpjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      Fair tax? You mean flat tax? Right, Donald Trump and I both pay 20% of our gross income. After taxes, he has $200 million left and I have $50-60 thousand. How about if we raise taxes on the rich and make them pay their fair share? No more hiding the money, no more write offs, no more sweetheart deals, no more corporate tax benefits, no more corporations paying nothing in taxes, no more corporations that make a billion dollars in profit getting tax refunds? This isn't about liberals and conservatives, this is about business. Do they run us or do they answer to us? If they pay a fair share, no more issues. But they can vote with their $, and politicians and judges dance to their tune. While the media whips people up, and people call themselves red or blue, business just keeps getting richer and we (all of us) keep getting poorer. It used to be said that a Republican is just a Democrat who made some money. Soon, as the vast majority of Republicans find that their leaders have sold them and their children out to big business, they may find themselves looking in a different direction.

      Just the same as it ever was.
      Typical uneducated response to government views. You know why rich people get so many right offs? Because they are employing 100s of people and in doing so they are getting more people off Uncle Sams tit we call unemployment and welfare.
    1. Cokeman's Avatar
      Cokeman -
      Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
      Seriously troll?

      So I guess it's better to start a (expensive) never ending war, give extra $200 to everyone once in a while, and put your country into a huge deficit and pretend it never happened because you left the problem for the next person in line.
      If you think 1 president put us in a deficit you need to lay off what ever your smoking.
      The guy he left it for decided to spend even more, & start another war.
      He will leave his mess for the next president. Whine, cry, gripe, no government is ever going to get us out of the mess we are in. They can't even agree to disagree.

      The problem is we care just enough to ***** about it. None of us care enough to stand together & tell them to shove it. Republican, Democrat, blah blah. If we truly wanted it to change we would make it happen. Instead we sit on are arses & let them continue doing what ever they want.
      Then again we can't stand together cause we don't agree.

      If you really want to blame someone for a war, talk to Colin Powell, he convinced Bush Sr to pull back. Then came Clinton, who sent forces over to get bin laden 3 times & called them back 3 times. Then it was Bush Jr's turn, we all know what he did. Then came Obama, what was it he said? Oh yeah Time for the troops to come home. How many are still deployed? Not to mention he gets involved in another war.

      But go ahead blame all our problems on 1 person...I'm sure it helps you sleep at night.
    1. Rpjr's Avatar
      Rpjr -
      Seriously. Middle class is getting just as F'ed in the *** as everyone else. So when you cry wolf and say tax the rich more more more you just sound ignorant. Once I see you donating millions of dollars to your community and other groups around the work annually and when I see you are employing 100s of people then we can talk about taxing the rich more, because if you are doing all that for society you'd be rich and I think your views would change.
    1. Nielsenius's Avatar
      Nielsenius -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rpjr View Post
      Typical uneducated response to government views. You know why rich people get so many right offs? Because they are employing 100s of people and in doing so they are getting more people off Uncle Sams tit we call unemployment and welfare.
      I agree that there are too many people on welfare, but the rich aren't exactly helping that. The rich are not the ones employing "hundreds" (actually millions), corporations are. The majority of America's wealthy are executives in corporations. So, they are employees, as well. Now, let me ask you: what do these people making over one million dollars a year need it for? So that they can buy their yachts and fancy cars? I'm all for capitalism and hard work, but at a certain point the amount of income one individual has becomes ridicules. Let's think about the common good for a second here.
    1. kingljrules's Avatar
      kingljrules -
      Quote Originally Posted by nightsoarer View Post
      Alright, well maybe you should have said "what a jackass" or something to that effect. Because when someone writes "you jackass" that's going to be interpreted as being directed towards who you're speaking to, not who your talking about.
      he didn't need to specify...the sentence actually made sense. I just dont think you understood although you do know your taxes though (Y) i'm soo glad i live in australia haha none of this rubbish

      Quote Originally Posted by Darrius777 View Post
      I knew he was talking about Bush.
      same here
    1. hfinmyblood's Avatar
      hfinmyblood -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      Education is trash today because of people like me who try to teach your children the basics that you don't bother to teach them at home? I'd get paid more if I was a babysitter. But we plug away because we think it's good for the kids and for the the country to educate them- of course, if the state board of ed would just leave us alone, we could teach to the subject, not to the test, and if Georgy-Porgie's No Child Left Behind had actually been FUNDED we'd have the money to furnish the schools with supplies instead of our having to buy the supplies instead (I spend $500-1000 yearly just to buy supplies for my classroom). Of course, we could just stop and let your kids roam the streets. I'm sure they'd learn a lot that way. And I'm certain you would step in and teach them all you know as well. Right?

      So I guess I'M the bad guy, because I have ten years of college and spend all my time trying to help your kids grow up and get a good job, and am underpaid (pay cuts the past two years, paying more and more of my own benefits, and now layoffs are coming), because.... wait, why am I the bad guy?
      Whoa Mr. Wilson. I'm not against education, do I look like an idiot? But because of how soft our society is, the government keeps lowering the bar so that every retard can pass a class. I'm not sure where you got that I think that every child just be ran around like a headless chicken, but I do believe that we should have a lot tougher curriculum. I also don't believe education should be ran by the government either, but that's my opinion
    1. 2Jaze's Avatar
      2Jaze -
      And let the conversions from the last honest music buyers to music pirates begin
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rpjr View Post
      Typical uneducated response to government views. You know why rich people get so many right offs? Because they are employing 100s of people and in doing so they are getting more people off Uncle Sams tit we call unemployment and welfare.
      What, you think I'M uneducated? I've got two college degrees and two teaching degrees and I teach, in addition to History, Economics. Right, I teach how money works. Flat tax is ridiculous because what is left over for the haves and the have nots is so disparate. A person on minimum wage has bupkus after flat taxes and a person who is rich has a new house and a big car. How is that fair? There are more poor than rich, so where does the tax burden fall most heavily? On the poor and middle class. Who pays off politicians to put in tax breaks? The rich, because the poor can't afford lobbyists. As for employing HUNDREDS of people, a profit is a profit. If you employ hundreds of people and you still make millions, then pay a fair share of it in taxes. And I've got news for the person who said he works hard for his money. The poor and the middle class work hard, too. And, for the most part, they WORK for the rich.

      We don't have to agree on anything here. But the reality is that people of all political persuasions love their country and want to make it better. Demonizing others because some yobo on TV gets you worked up and is telling you the other is unAmerican is not helping. This country has dug itself into a hole since the end of the Clinton era (he doesn't get off scott-free, I think NAFTA was a rotten deal for us), but the reality was that there were politicians who were willing to spend us into the poorhouse. That these people were, for the most part, Republicans is just a matter of historical fact. That these people (and Clinton) helped to deregulate banks and financial institutions didn't help. That these banks and financial institutions were venal enough to let the world's economy get to the brink of total destruction is just what they do (the frog and the scorpion syndrome). That people were willing to buy things they couldn't afford was just human nature and childish behavior. You didn't HAVE to buy the big house when the lender offered you a loan you couldn't afford with a balloon payment on your signature. That Bush walked away with the country in a mess is an historical fact. As is the fact that HE is the one who started the whole stimulus package idea, not Obama.

      Let's stop the whole name-calling thing and discuss this stuff rationally. I can name plenty of Democrats I don't like or who have done (to my mind) wrong acts. I'd love to hear one Republican say that ANY Republican has ever done anything bad for the country. At that point, maybe we can have a discussion like adults. Now, it just sounds like Fox news throwing out talking points and rhetoric.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      i concur. Tax Like you've never been taxed before..lmao
    1. Xrevofmanx's Avatar
      Xrevofmanx -
      Democrats wanting more of your money? Weird!
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nielsenius View Post
      I agree that there are too many people on welfare, but the rich aren't exactly helping that. The rich are not the ones employing "hundreds" (actually millions), corporations are. The majority of America's wealthy are executives in corporations. So, they are employees, as well. Now, let me ask you: what do these people making over one million dollars a year need it for? So that they can buy their yachts and fancy cars? I'm all for capitalism and hard work, but at a certain point the amount of income one individual has becomes ridicules. Let's think about the common good for a second here.
      Agree,
      How about we cap what professional sports players make!!! Their income is ridiculous!!! No person needs to make that much just for playing a silly game. Don't get me wrong, they are talented at what they do and should be compensated BUT so are pianists or artists or whatever. We don't see those other talents making $20mil in 5 years!!!

      But, at the same time, we encourage/allow those salaries so whose to blame; the athlete, the professional sports associations, or ourselves...
    1. piston597's Avatar
      piston597 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Agree,
      How about we cap what professional sports players make!!! Their income is ridiculous!!! No person needs to make that much just for playing a silly game. Don't get me wrong, they are talented at what they do and should be compensated BUT so are pianists or artists or whatever. We don't see those other talents making $20mil in 5 years!!!

      But, at the same time, we encourage/allow those salaries so whose to blame; the athlete, the professional sports associations, or ourselves...
      Lmao... The public likes sports more than the artists... If they're good at what they do then why should they accept lower than what the public is offering them..? Put yourself in their shoes.. They work their asses off to get to where they are and deserve it... Pianist and other artist work very hard as well... But it's up to the public to decide who they like better...

      That's like saying we should cap the prices on iPhones, and other Apple devices because they are outrageously expensive... Once again it's the public who are willing to pay the price.... Just business.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Republicans spending more of your money? Weird!

      Truly, get past the name calling and into an objective discussion. We are in this mess because of Republicans. You admit it. Now we have Democrats in charge wanting more money to fix it. I admit it. Anything else is spin.


      As to the Mr. Wilson comment directed towards me:

      "this is mainly what libs want. They are afraid of people like Tim who has common sense and doesn't rely on govt garbage that they try to force feed you. Ever wonder why education is trash nowadays? They WANT you to become dependent on them and become hateful and jealous toward the hard-working."

      "Whoa Mr. Wilson. I'm not against education, do I look like an idiot? But because of how soft our society is, the government keeps lowering the bar so that every retard can pass a class. I'm not sure where you got that I think that every child just be ran around like a headless chicken, but I do believe that we should have a lot tougher curriculum. I also don't believe education should be ran by the government either, but that's my opinion"

      So you insult teachers, you sully the good name of idiots, you call our society soft (well, with that I agree), you defame our students by calling them "retards," which also slurs the handicapped, you seem to be for school vouchers and you think that the last hundred years of free public education for everyone is just wrong. And you "believe that we should have a lot tougher curriculum. I also don't believe education should be ran by the government either" which, it seems to me, would place you in the "the bar was too low" category.

      You have every right to your opinion, but you need more than opinion to have an educated discussion. We could have a long discussion on how big business has intruded into education by lobbying to have students trained to follow instructions, not to think for themselves. We could discuss the hundreds of millions of dollars being spent in California alone on State testing that doesn't really help the students. We could discuss what has happened in Philadelphia with its privately-run school system being totally dysfunctional. There are lots of areas we could be discussing. Instead, I see people here just parroting talking heads on TV. Government workers aren't the problem. Taxes, in and of themselves, aren't the problem. Reasonable politicians aren't the problem. Fringe elements and spin meisters and zealots are part of the problem. The other part is that we'd rather just call names than sit down and try to work this problem through. We'd rather get ours and the hell with everyone else. It's your fault, not mine. Well, I have news for you all. We all live in this world, and we'd all better figure our way out of this mess. It's gonna hurt, but it needs to hurt everyone, not just the poor and middle class. If the rich just dance through this, buy up all the politicians, get us to one-party rule, we are done for.
    1. Jacobh4's Avatar
      Jacobh4 -
      Oh, I thought everyone payed taxes on iTunes purchases! But the tax is low where I live.. For a $.99 app (or whatever you'd rather chose), it costs $1.04!
    1. hfinmyblood's Avatar
      hfinmyblood -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      I also don't believe education should be ran by the government either" which, it seems to me, would place you in the "the bar was too low" category.
      touche'
    1. ianwawawin's Avatar
      ianwawawin -
      Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
      Republicans spending more of your money? Weird!

      Truly, get past the name calling and into an objective discussion. We are in this mess because of Republicans. You admit it. Now we have Democrats in charge wanting more money to fix it. I admit it. Anything else is spin.


      As to the Mr. Wilson comment directed towards me:

      "this is mainly what libs want. They are afraid of people like Tim who has common sense and doesn't rely on govt garbage that they try to force feed you. Ever wonder why education is trash nowadays? They WANT you to become dependent on them and become hateful and jealous toward the hard-working."

      "Whoa Mr. Wilson. I'm not against education, do I look like an idiot? But because of how soft our society is, the government keeps lowering the bar so that every retard can pass a class. I'm not sure where you got that I think that every child just be ran around like a headless chicken, but I do believe that we should have a lot tougher curriculum. I also don't believe education should be ran by the government either, but that's my opinion"

      So you insult teachers, you sully the good name of idiots, you call our society soft (well, with that I agree), you defame our students by calling them "retards," which also slurs the handicapped, you seem to be for school vouchers and you think that the last hundred years of free public education for everyone is just wrong. And you "believe that we should have a lot tougher curriculum. I also don't believe education should be ran by the government either" which, it seems to me, would place you in the "the bar was too low" category.

      You have every right to your opinion, but you need more than opinion to have an educated discussion. We could have a long discussion on how big business has intruded into education by lobbying to have students trained to follow instructions, not to think for themselves. We could discuss the hundreds of millions of dollars being spent in California alone on State testing that doesn't really help the students. We could discuss what has happened in Philadelphia with its privately-run school system being totally dysfunctional. There are lots of areas we could be discussing. Instead, I see people here just parroting talking heads on TV. Government workers aren't the problem. Taxes, in and of themselves, aren't the problem. Reasonable politicians aren't the problem. Fringe elements and spin meisters and zealots are part of the problem. The other part is that we'd rather just call names than sit down and try to work this problem through. We'd rather get ours and the hell with everyone else. It's your fault, not mine. Well, I have news for you all. We all live in this world, and we'd all better figure our way out of this mess. It's gonna hurt, but it needs to hurt everyone, not just the poor and middle class. If the rich just dance through this, buy up all the politicians, get us to one-party rule, we are done for.
      I have to say, very well written.

      And, read about GE. they didn't pay a single dollar in taxes this year, say what you want, but they need to tax corporations more. Oh the rich work hard, blahblahblah, so do teachers, and janitors, and your garbage man! How much do you think he gets paid? Or even thanked? The society is corrupt.

      We honor a dumbass that can drive a car around a track (yes, im insulting NASCAR) but we cannot give a teacher two tenths of their salary.
      When our next generation (I'm included) grows up to being dumbasses, IM blaming all of those who are saying the rich don't need to be taxed. Wait till you have kids, and they are learning to read in HIGHSCHOOL. This is the situation we are going through.

      The world is going to end with our generation if we do not focus on education.
      Coming from a student- the government should not be in schools. It should allow teachers instead of shooting for minimalist kids the next generation...

      The next Crisis we have, like the one in Japan, and it's up to our generation? It will be the end.
      Another thing...
      Wanna fix this whole debt thing?
      Legalize weed, government mandate it, and tax the **** out of it.
      Billions of dollars right back in.
      "oh but it's a gateway drug" well, so is alcohol.
      How many people under the influence of alcohol would pass up a drug if offered?

      Just my 2 cents.