• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot


    Sony is reportedly being targeted by the infamous hack-attack group known only as Anonymous. The reason? Possible revenge over what the consumer electronics giant is doing to Geohot, the famous hacker who, according to Sony, had the audacity to hack the PS3 and share his findings with the modding community.

    DDoS attacks by Anonymous have received no shortage of attention in recent months. And now it appears that Sony, and possibly even its employees, are the latest targets of the so-called "hacktivist group." Here's what we know for sure. Anonymous is being widely blamed for taking aim at a variety of Sony-related sites, like Store.PlayStation.com and PlayStation.com.

    Sony.com, in fact, was also a target of the group. Consequently, Sony is said to have employed the hacker-prevention team of Prolexic Technologies to look into the matter and help prevent further attacks against the company, it's websites, and employees. If Anonymous is, indeed, responsible for the attacks, it's likely due to the "unjustified legal proceedings" against George Hotz.

    Sony has admitted to Gamespot that they are aware of the possible attacks, although they are not pointing a definitive finger of blame in any particular direction. "We are currently investigating [the network instability], including the possibility of targeted behavior of an outside party," a Sony representative told GameSpot. "If this is indeed caused by such act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service. Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support. "

    It should be noted that Anonymous is not taking credit for the recent attacks on Sony.

    The good news for PS3 owners is that it appears as if Anonymous will be backing off its hostilities. An update to the loose-knit organization's website claims it would no longer be directing its efforts at bringing down services such as the PlayStation Network.
    "Anonymous is not attacking the PSN at this time," the update states. "Sony's official position is that the PSN is undergoing maintenance. We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

    Source: Gamespot
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Anonymous Reportedly Takes Aim at Sony as Retribution for Geohot started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 98 Comments
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Note to most of the people here:
      Sony are not suing George Hotz because he jailbroke PS3 and told others how to do it.
      He is being sued because he copied and distributed something that did not belong to him....oh whats that called....oh ya...piracy. The very thing he claims to be against.
      No one, except Sony, owns any part of the Playstation 3 Firmware.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Note to most the people here:
      Sony are not suing George Hotz because he jailbroke PS3 and told others how to do it.
      He is being sued because he copied and distributed something that did not belong to him....oh whats that called....oh ya...piracy. The very thing he claims to be against.
      No one, except Sony, owns any part of the Playstation 3 Firmware.
      Welcome to the club! We have jackets, free cookies, crackers, and cheese!

      That makes 3 of us who understand this; even though it has been stated 1,000,000,000,000 times.
    1. viperstarpoint9's Avatar
      viperstarpoint9 -
      Break a hackers fingers and you can kiss your wonderful hacks and jailbreaks good bye.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by viperstarpoint9 View Post
      Break a hackers fingers and you can kiss your wonderful hacks and jailbreaks good bye.
      Technically, they are not hackers. Denial of service attacks can be easily preformed. they are just illegal.
    1. bigliquid530's Avatar
      bigliquid530 -
      Hey I posted this on the chit chat section yesterday morning maybe I should be a writer for MMI...

      Lol
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
      Hey I posted this on the chit chat section yesterday morning maybe I should be I should be a writer for MMI...

      Lol
      Member Written iPhone News
    1. rayzeur22's Avatar
      rayzeur22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      No, you are mistaken. They are not fighting for your rights as a consumer. They are filling their own selfish desires to hack and cause problems, simply masking their actions with some speech about how they are fighting sony for geo. Not to mention what they are doing is HIGHLY illegal.
      I'm pretty sure Sony regulating a product they no longer own once a consumer buys it is illegal.
    1. moon#pie's Avatar
      moon#pie -
      Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
      I'm pretty sure Sony regulating a product they no longer own once a consumer buys it is illegal.
      No, it's not. You "sign" an agreement when you use it. It's with that bunch of papers that nobody every reads.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
      I'm pretty sure Sony regulating a product they no longer own once a consumer buys it is illegal.
      Sony can do whatever they want with THEIR software, you're not obligated to upgrade your hardware with THEIR software
    1. rayzeur22's Avatar
      rayzeur22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by stryker1 View Post
      screw sony. They deserve what they get. People say what annonymous is doing is highly illegal? How about what sony is doing is highly illegal? When you buy any device you should be able to do with it as you please. Geo did not do what he did for playing games for free. He was very clear about that. Sony is just pissed that others have used it to play their games for free and they don't want another psp fiasco. Annonymous is just making a statement and to disrupt you from you online game for a couple of days or hours is not such a big deal. If you can't get off your ps3 for a couple of days then maybe you should re-examine your life and see if you can find something to do in your spare time than play ps3 all day long. Seriously, keep your on sony big brother and support the little guys here.

      Stryker
      a--f&ck!n--men!
    1. rayzeur22's Avatar
      rayzeur22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      No, it's not. You "sign" an agreement when you use it. It's with that bunch of papers that nobody every reads.
      So your standing up to this anti-consumer business? And even so, once I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want to it. If there comes a day where jailbreaking becomes illegal, I won't give a f/u/ck what they tell me to do. I'll do whatever the f/u/ck I want, thank you, Mr. Jobs.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
      So your standing up to this anti-consumer business? And even so, once I buy a product, I should be able to do whatever I want to it. If there comes a day where jailbreaking becomes illegal, I won't give a f/u/ck what they tell me to do. I'll do whatever the f/u/ck I want, thank you, Mr. Jobs.
      Again, the case is about him releasing proprietary code, not about him hacking his ps3. Sigh...


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. rayzeur22's Avatar
      rayzeur22 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Sony can do whatever they want with THEIR software, you're not obligated to upgrade your hardware with THEIR software
      You are obligated to use the software once the "Other OS" feature is removed. And the only way to get that back is to modify the existing stock software.
    1. nillam1's Avatar
      nillam1 -
      From what I read Sony is just "RENTING" those domains, LMFAO!

      Stand for something, or fall for everything! If u ain't with us, ur against us. Choose freedom or be enslaved forever. Corporate c#%ks+=kers be forewarned, once u sell something IT IS NO LONGER YOURS! Void warranty, that's your prerogative & your right but stay out of MY BUSINESS! Keep sticking your tiny d%#ks in the bees nest but don't complain when u get stung! BZZZZZZZZ, BZZZZZZZZZZ, 1, 2, Freddies coming for you! 
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      Why do people bother defending Sony?
      Sony make viruses that slow down peoples computers and open up back doors, now tell me what part of that is legal?
    1. LivesForJihad's Avatar
      LivesForJihad -
      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      Really? Last I checked, Jihad was a terrorist group, not some religion. I also gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying unless you meant the actual meaning of the word, which is "Struggle".

      No, now you are changing your words. "Jail breaking" is not "jailbreaking". If courts want to use it, fine. But there is a difference between the two. "Rooting" is the technical term for doing this to any electronic device. Jailbreaking is specifically for Apple devices, at least it was until people started using it in other ways. Anyway, he is being sued not for "jailbreaking", but distributing proprietary code. Get your facts right. Your argument is all of the place. Sony has every single right in the world to sue him and win if he used their code. He broke laws. The hackers who are screwing with sony's servers broke laws. Sony is the only one is this (unless geo is found innocent) who hasn't broken laws.

      AND, very few people who root their PS3's are doing it to satisfy their need to run homebrew linux on it. They are doing it to play any game they want for free. That is the problem.
      Jihad is not a terrorist group you ignoramus. It is a personal struggle with oneself.

      1. if I say Jail breaking and jailbreaking to anyone in the iPhone community...the point is understood and the definition is understood. The space is redundant and meaningless...but I will (for your sake) use jailbreaking and not put the space.

      2. iPhone jailbreaking leads to piracy as well. Can anyone say ********** 4? Not to say that I use **********, as I am a software developer myself and my own moral prejudices against piracy are mine alone to know.

      3. Chances are...YOU have a jailbroken iDevice and directly benefiting from the work of Geohot, or others like him. Can anyone say hypocrite?

      4. You are on a web forum that propagates tutorials and support for jailbreaking...yet speak out against the methods employed by jailbreakers.

      Do you have ANY idea how stupid and ignorant you sound (look)?

      If you support Sony...than you are NO LONGER allowed to own any jailbroken iDevice (less you look like a total hypocrite), or use any console modification released from now to kingdom come. Enjoy your stock devices buddy. Sony stands for the concept of oppressing our right to do what we wish with things we buy! If we buy a car outright (say a Toyota)...does Toyota have the right to tell us what we can, and cannot do, with that car? No they don't. One you buy it, it belongs to you. The legal exchange of goods has been processed and stands for all time.

      As far as I am concerned, you are an enemy of Geohot and everything he stands for, because you certainly are not helping him.

      As for Anonymous...I hope your the next person they target.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
      Jihad is not a terrorist group you ignoramus. It is a personal struggle with oneself.

      1. if I say Jail breaking and jailbreaking to anyone in the iPhone community...the point is understood and the definition is understood. The space is redundant and meaningless...but I will (for your sake) use jailbreaking and not put the space.

      2. iPhone jailbreaking leads to piracy as well. Can anyone say ********** 4? Not to say that I use **********, as I am a software developer myself and my own moral prejudices against piracy are mine alone to know.

      3. Chances are...YOU have a jailbroken iDevice and directly benefiting from the work of Geohot, or others like him. Can anyone say hypocrite?

      4. You are on a web forum that propagates tutorials and support for jailbreaking...yet speak out against the methods employed by jailbreakers.

      Do you have ANY idea how stupid and ignorant you sound (look)?

      If you support Sony...than you are NO LONGER allowed to own any jailbroken iDevice (less you look like a total hypocrite), or use any console modification released from now to kingdom come. Enjoy your stock devices buddy. Sony stands for the concept of oppressing our right to do what we wish with things we buy! If we buy a car outright (say a Toyota)...does Toyota have the right to tell us what we can, and cannot do, with that car? No they don't. One you buy it, it belongs to you. The legal exchange of goods has been processed and stands for all time.

      As far as I am concerned, you are an enemy of Geohot and everything he stands for, because you certainly are not helping him.

      As for Anonymous...I hope your the next person they target.
      Talk about a big steaming pile of fail!


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. piston597's Avatar
      piston597 -
      Don't agree with Sony and DEFINITELY do not agree with the Anonymous. IMO they just watched too much Death Note and want to cause trouble... Their reasons are 100% legit and I back it up... but their methods are not what I think the best way to go about...

      Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
      Really? Last I checked, Jihad was a terrorist group, not some religion. I also gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying unless you meant the actual meaning of the word, which is "Struggle".
      Honestly why bring religion into this...? Don't be an ignorant ***... Understand the meaning of the name then talk about it or don't comment on it like you know what it means... PS last I checked there is NO terrorist group called Jihad... care to link me to such info...? How pathetic are people these days...
    1. coolguy742's Avatar
      coolguy742 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Welcome to a few days ago.

      Anywho, these losers did nothing but disrupt gaming for the average gamer. Wish these guys would just get a life and stop causing hassle for the rest of us.
      Hahaha yep, this started about 2 days ago! But you must understand that people wan revenge on Sony, after all it's the ps3 enthusiasts that spend their time modifying their ps3 that tell everyone else "the ps3 is the greatest thing ever, get one!"
      I for one am still on my jailbroken 3.55 ps3 and I'm getting ready to buy an xBox just because sony has driven me off with their terrible business practices!
    1. coolguy742's Avatar
      coolguy742 -
      An yes I agree what anonymous is doing is a felony, it is wrong. Sony is also using bad business practices. However this does not justify committing a felony. Just sayin'.
      If you don't like the way Sony is treating you, buy an xBox like I'm about to.