• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Rumored to Purchase 12 Petabytes of Storage for iTunes


    Apple has reportedly been stocking up on storage. According to published reports this week, Apple has placed an order for 12 petabytes (12,000 terabytes) with Isilon Systems. The additional storage will supposedly be used for videos on iTunes. The source who tipped off the press is only described as a source from EMC, which, incidentally, recently announced plans to acquire Isilon for $2.25 billion.

    Initial reaction to the reports, naturally, prompted many to speculate that Apple is finally ready to introduce cloud-based iTunes storage features - or "digital lockers" as they're widely referred to. It should be noted, however, that no coverage of Apple's supposed 12 petabyte purchase has acknowledged those longstanding (but still rumored) plans.

    StorageNewsletter.com speculates that Apple's deal with Isilon to scoop up all that storage space likely puts Apple at the top of Isilon's largest client list. And it's a list with no shortage of big names - ABC, Clear Channel, Kodak MySpace, NBC Universal, Sony, World Wrestling Entertainment, XM Satellite Radio, and others.

    Apple's move to bolster video storage capacity isn't largely being regarded tonight as a surprise move given Apple's dominance in the online digital music and movie space - a highly lucrative realm that continues to an increasingly profitable golden cow for the team in Cupertino.

    Source: StorageNewsletter.com
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Rumored to Purchase 12 Petabytes of Storage for iTunes started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 50 Comments
    1. farfromovin's Avatar
      farfromovin -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      It's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. At 12 petabytes, if you figure 1 million users (which is ridiculously small for Apple) then each user would only be allocated 12 gigabytes. Though when you take into account redundancy and overhead you're looking at a smaller 1-3 gigabytes for each user. Given that Apple has 10's of millions of iOS users out there this is nowhere near enough storage. With 10 million users that 1-3 gigabytes per user shrinks to 100-300 megabytes. Clearly Apple is going to need a whole lot more than 12 petabytes if they hope to create a storage locker for music, video, and pictures.
      Yeah, no way is this Apples cloud based storage solution for itunes users. I got 1TB of itunes stuff myself lol. Granted, the avg user probably doesn't, but I think they still have more than 1-3 gigabytes...
    1. buttamix's Avatar
      buttamix -
      Quote Originally Posted by johnzo~ View Post
      I learned a new word today. Petabyte.
      That's what I'm saying, lol
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
      WAY OFF TOPIC:.... .What happened to the good ole MODMYI days... Recently it seems like all the post I read now is something that I previously read on macrumors, 9to5mac or bgr.

      WHERE IS CASH!!??!!

      "MOD"myi: give more hacking news! ! PLEASE!!!!!!!

      OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE THIS SITE AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 2007
      MMi is a site to read about Apple, rumors included. A lot of ppl enjoy reading about this kind of stuff, granted the majority of it never comes true but every once in awhile one or two do. It's just fun reading, and you have the right to read it or not if you don't like it

      The first thing I thought of when I saw the title was storage for iCloud! I guess it could go either way!
    1. Hyperextension's Avatar
      Hyperextension -
      I can't wait until my new 2 petabyte SSD shows up for my MacBook Pro. I won't have to carry around my external hard drive anymore. Sweet.
    1. Lombardo Joe's Avatar
      Lombardo Joe -
      Make our way through the smoke and crowd
      The club is the sky and I'm on your cloud.
    1. stevelucky's Avatar
      stevelucky -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      I wouldn't get too excited in terms of thinking tons of content will be stored on 12PB.
      When you take the same files stored multiple times, data backup and redundancy into account, it's more realistic to look at it as more like 1 or 2 PB of media stored across the 12PB
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      It's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. At 12 petabytes, if you figure 1 million users (which is ridiculously small for Apple) then each user would only be allocated 12 gigabytes. Though when you take into account redundancy and overhead you're looking at a smaller 1-3 gigabytes for each user. Given that Apple has 10's of millions of iOS users out there this is nowhere near enough storage. With 10 million users that 1-3 gigabytes per user shrinks to 100-300 megabytes. Clearly Apple is going to need a whole lot more than 12 petabytes if they hope to create a storage locker for music, video, and pictures.
      I'm sure they won't need quite as much redundancy as you're thinking. If 8 million users all have the same Ke$ha song in their cloud "locker". They won't need 8 million copies of that song. They'll only need a few (I have no clue exactly how many, but the point is illustrated). There's going to be so much cross-over, that they could likely get even more than 12 effective petebytes. Think about it. An album that's 100mb could be "stored" by 10 million people and still not take up more than 100mb. I realize they would still need multiple copies, but not 10 million copies.

      P.S. - I'm pretty sure that Dropbox already does this. I uploaded a file one time (I can't remember what it was, but it was large, and it was a common file. i.e. - something that other users would have already had in their Drobboxes), and while it should have taken 10-15 minutes to upload, I noticed that Dropbox already said that it was all synced up. I logged into the website and sure enough, my file was already there and accessible. Why would Dropbox waste the bandwidth and drive space to store another copy of a file that they already have? They can check file sizes or whatever to make sure that the file is indeed identical and not just the same file name.
    1. Xenontac's Avatar
      Xenontac -
      Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
      I'm sure they won't need quite as much redundancy as you're thinking. If 8 million users all have the same Ke$ha song in their cloud "locker". They won't need 8 million copies of that song. They'll only need a few (I have no clue exactly how many, but the point is illustrated). There's going to be so much cross-over, that they could likely get even more than 12 effective petebytes. Think about it. An album that's 100mb could be "stored" by 10 million people and still not take up more than 100mb. I realize they would still need multiple copies, but not 10 million copies.
      I think this is a very valid point
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Petabyte. Sounds like a tasty appetizer.
    1. matthew_d's Avatar
      matthew_d -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
      Make our way through the smoke and crowd
      The club is the sky and I'm on your cloud.
      Skip this place go back to yours
      Our lips first touch outside your doors


      Anyway back on topic here um theres roughly 1,000,000 GB in 1 PB right?
    1. back2thebeatof84's Avatar
      back2thebeatof84 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Megaorange View Post
      and
      1024 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte
      1024 Exabytes = 1 Zettabyte
      1024 Zettabyte = 1 Yottabyte
      I honestly hope I'll be able to understand 1 Yottabyte in my lifetime. I'm only 20.
    1. trolleywood's Avatar
      trolleywood -
      Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
      it's obviously you don't know how big a petabyte is then
      I think he meant in regards to how many iTunes users are. 12,000 TB is nothing. I personally have 1TB of video storage mostly in 480p. If apple offered HD video storage to the masses, 12 petabytes would be gone in less than a day.
    1. Megaorange's Avatar
      Megaorange -
      I thought this quote from wikipedia was interesting
      Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post
      As of 2011, no storage system has achieved one zettabyte of information. The combined space of all computer hard drives in the world does not amount to even one yottabyte, but was estimated at approximately 160 exabytes in 2006.[1] As of 2009, the entire Internet was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes.
    1. myhargalan's Avatar
      myhargalan -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
      lmao me 3.
      Me 4
    1. imilad's Avatar
      imilad -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      MMi is a site to read about Apple, rumors included. A lot of ppl enjoy reading about this kind of stuff, granted the majority of it never comes true but every once in awhile one or two do. It's just fun reading, and you have the right to read it or not if you don't like it

      The first thing I thought of when I saw the title was storage for iCloud! I guess it could go either way!

      Don't get me wrong,,, I love this site, and I also enjoy these rumors or what have you... irt part of my daily routine to log on atleast twice if not more, just sayin that I miss the modmyiphone.com days when jailbreaking was HOT and allot more "active" than it is now.


      I think Gizmodo, macrumors are doing a great job on Apple headlines, I always liked this site more because it was indepth with jailbreaking and headlines you would not find on other sites..

      It has kind of shifted from modding to the same stories you find on the main apple news sites

      Just my thoughts...
    1. timosatv's Avatar
      timosatv -
      Petabyte????nice!!!!
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
      Don't get me wrong,,, I love this site, and I also enjoy these rumors or what have you... irt part of my daily routine to log on atleast twice if not more, just sayin that I miss the modmyiphone.com days when jailbreaking was HOT and allot more "active" than it is now.


      I think Gizmodo, macrumors are doing a great job on Apple headlines, I always liked this site more because it was indepth with jailbreaking and headlines you would not find on other sites..

      It has kind of shifted from modding to the same stories you find on the main apple news sites

      Just my thoughts...
      Well I definitely agree with you on that my friend! It's a lot better when the site is active with JB and the old days were filled with it! Now it seems it only gets like that when a new OS or iPhone comes out.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by back2thebeatof84 View Post
      I honestly hope I'll be able to understand 1 Yottabyte in my lifetime. I'm only 20.
      If I have a Yottabyte do I also possess the power of the Force!

      ...cuz I REALLY want a lightsaber
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
      I'm sure they won't need quite as much redundancy as you're thinking.
      I wasn't thinking about using the storage for the fabled iTunes Cloud malarky that I don't ever see happening.
      More like using the storage for 1080p movie and TV downloading and streaming. You would certainly need many multiples of files, especially new movies that are definitely going to be accessed simultaneously by hundreds or thousands of users.
      I see the storage being used for the ever growing App Store(s), iTunes Store, iBooks over an iCloud
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Wow...now that's a lot of storage! Wonder what it is really going to be used for? We shall see....
    1. athleticswimmer's Avatar
      athleticswimmer -
      A Yottabyte is nothing. Googol, now that is something! Googol is the number one followed by one hundred zeros.

      Googol: 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

      But there is something even bigger called a Googolplex. The number is so large I cant even write it. its Googol * 10!!!! So it's 10 times the size of Googol THATS CRAZY!!!! A Googolplex laughs at a Googol

      *But since were talking about storage and not numbers. Im going to call it a Googolbyte......