• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Opposition Mounting Against Reelection of Steve Jobs to Disney Board


    The Magic Kingdom isn't so welcoming to Apple CEO Steve Jobs these days thanks to a stronghold of organized labor leaders actively opposing Jobs' reelection to the board of directors at Disney. Tomorrow in Salt Lake City, Utah, the Walt Disney Company will hold its annual meeting. Ahead of the gathering, the labor union federation AFL-CIO, which holds close to four million Disney shares, opposes the reelection of Jobs to the venerable company's board of directors.

    Jobs currently holds more than 7% of Disney’s stock and has served as a director of the company since 2006.

    According to labor leaders, Jobs' intensive full-time responsibilities as CEO and lengthy record of tardiness (largely due to his medical condition) are being presented as reasons to oppose Jobs' reelection. Making matters worse for Jobs is the similar opinion held by shareholder advisory firm Institutional Shareholder Services, which also cites the mogul's shabby attendance at Disney board meetings as a potential indication that he is unfit for the post.
    ISS, which advises large institutional holders on proxy matters, wrote that it generally considers illness to be a valid explanation for director absences.
    “Jobs’ poor attendance in three of the past four years, and recent leave of absence from his primary employer, raises questions about his ability to fulfill his responsibilities as a director of the company,” ISS declared in a formal recommendation to shareholders, although no definitive anti-Jobs vote was advised. All told, Wednesday's shareholder meeting will likely be an interesting one as both voices of support and opposition for Jobs' return will certainly clash.

    It isn't yet known if Jobs himself will be in attendance.

    Source: LA Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Opposition Mounting Against Reelection of Steve Jobs to Disney Board started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
    1. xerray's Avatar
      xerray -
      Hahaha!!! Picture win!!!
    1. Rob2G's Avatar
      Rob2G -
      I'm glad to see people are self centered assholes is the corporate world aswell as the consumer world.
    1. PWNsyst3m's Avatar
      PWNsyst3m -
      Right on the bulls-eye. ^
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
      I'm glad to see people are self centered assholes is the corporate world aswell as the consumer world.
      He will eventually be forced to resign.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      It's only right that they don't want him re-elected. He's a sick man and if he can't be a working CEO for Apple, then you can be sure he's focusing significantly less on Pixar and Disney. A board of directors needs healthy members. He'll still have his 50% stake of Pixar and high 7% stake of Disney, he just won't be on the board, which is a good thing for Pixar, Disney, Apple and Steve considering his ailing health.

      “Jobs’ poor attendance in three of the past four years, and recent leave of absence from his primary employer, raises questions about his ability to fulfill his responsibilities as a director of the company,”
      That is a completely valid statement. No one is being self centered.
      If anything Steve Jobs is the self centered one. Yes, he's sick, but that doesn't give you a free pass on your job or responsibilities. He clearly cannot juggle both Apple and Pixar anymore and one needs to go.
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      yea i mean when he is in great health i am sure he is more than capable of working his post but for now he might have to leave it to someone else
    1. iGuy's Avatar
      iGuy -
      Unbelievable that a so called MMI "Staff Writer" should ridicule Steve Jobs in such a fashion where we all know that he's fighting an illness that has killed so many (I've lost my Wife, Mother, Mother-in-Law & Father-in-Law to cancer).

      This thread should be withdrawn as should Essany!
    1. desepticon's Avatar
      desepticon -
      This is clearly a boardroom power grab.
    1. Reako's Avatar
      Reako -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      It's only right that they don't want him re-elected. He's a sick man and if he can't be a working CEO for Apple, then you can be sure he's focusing significantly less on Pixar and Disney. A board of directors needs healthy members. He'll still have his 50% stake of Pixar and high 7% stake of Disney, he just won't be on the board, which is a good thing for Pixar, Disney, Apple and Steve considering his ailing health.


      That is a completely valid statement. No one is being self centered.
      If anything Steve Jobs is the self centered one. Yes, he's sick, but that doesn't give you a free pass on your job or responsibilities. He clearly cannot juggle both Apple and Pixar anymore and one needs to go.
      Perfect response. This is exactly, exactly what I was thinking. However, Steve Jobs is no longer a 50% shareholder of Pixar considering the acquisition. That was merged for him to retain the 7% shareholder of Disney and obtain a seat at the board of directors.


      Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
      Unbelievable that a so called MMI "Staff Writer" should ridicule Steve Jobs in such a fashion where we all know that he's fighting an illness that has killed so many (I've lost my Wife, Mother, Mother-in-Law & Father-in-Law to cancer).

      This thread should be withdrawn as should Essany!
      You're an idiot. Read the quoted reply above this, and make a rational response.
    1. iGuy's Avatar
      iGuy -
      I doubt Steve is worried about Disney, he & his family have obviously more pressing issues to worry about than the Disney board room.

      But why post a picture of Steve Jobs on here in your bloody Mickey Mouse ears? Surely we should all be wishing him well? As I said, unbelievable, especially for someone who is meant to be promoting this site.

      By the way, I have no qualms about you calling me an "idiot". You maybe didn't understand what I was trying to say!
    1. cmwade77's Avatar
      cmwade77 -
      I wish Steve well, but I do think he should probably voluntarily have stepped down when he had to take his first leave of absence from Apple. After all, if he couldn't do that, how could he be doing his job at Disney as well?
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      I can see someone wanting him to step down because of his illness and an inability to do that specific job, but what's up with the unions? Why are they spearheading this and what do they get out of it?

      Power? They want to elect one of their own for bargaining rights?

      If there's one force in America I distrust most it's unions. They always, always act in their own self-interests (like a parasite they often overwhelm their host).
    1. TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
      TheDirtyDiddler -
      If he can't physically do it then he can't physically do it. That's it.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
      Perfect response. This is exactly, exactly what I was thinking. However, Steve Jobs is no longer a 50% shareholder of Pixar considering the acquisition. That was merged for him to retain the 7% shareholder of Disney and obtain a seat at the board of directors.




      You're an idiot. Read the quoted reply above this, and make a rational response.
      No need to call anyone an idiot.

      I can see if individuals on their own didn't think he was capable of doing some good right now but it sounds like they're trying to gang up on him which is not right!
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
      You're an idiot. Read the quoted reply above this, and make a rational response.
      Yeh you shouldn't call someone an idiiot on MMi as you'll get infracted like me with 2 infractions already and one of a permaban
    1. dhamien's Avatar
      dhamien -
      Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
      I doubt Steve is worried about Disney, he & his family have obviously more pressing issues to worry about than the Disney board room.

      But why post a picture of Steve Jobs on here in your bloody Mickey Mouse ears? Surely we should all be wishing him well? As I said, unbelievable, especially for someone who is meant to be promoting this site.

      By the way, I have no qualms about you calling me an "idiot". You maybe didn't understand what I was trying to say!
      Don't be so overly sensitive. No one was making fun of his illness, in fact, his cancer wasn't even mentioned. It's a funny picture, get over it. I'm sorry you've lost people to that disease, but that doesn't mean you should lose your sense of humor as well.
    1. jasvncnt10's Avatar
      jasvncnt10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
      Unbelievable that a so called MMI "Staff Writer" should ridicule Steve Jobs in such a fashion where we all know that he's fighting an illness that has killed so many (I've lost my Wife, Mother, Mother-in-Law & Father-in-Law to cancer).

      This thread should be withdrawn as should Essany!
      What?? He is just reporting a story about Steve. Just because you don't agree with it or because it isn't a story where someone is kissing Steve's ***** doesn't mean it should be removed.
    1. coolguy742's Avatar
      coolguy742 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
      Unbelievable that a so called MMI "Staff Writer" should ridicule Steve Jobs in such a fashion where we all know that he's fighting an illness that has killed so many (I've lost my Wife, Mother, Mother-in-Law & Father-in-Law to cancer).

      This thread should be withdrawn as should Essany!
      wow, he is not ridiculeing him! not once in that article does it say "I, Mr. Essany want S. Jobs off that board and he should never be late to a meeting!" I also have lost my Grandma x2 Grandpa, an aunt and countless family friends to cancer! don't you dare use it as an excuse to hate on messany!!!!!! Using your family like that is pathetic!!!!!!
    1. tudtran's Avatar
      tudtran -
      Damn. Look on the bright side Jobs will have less stress to deal with. This could be better for him in the long run.
    1. Gr0undBreak1ng's Avatar
      Gr0undBreak1ng -
      Picture +