• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Taking Donations via iTunes to Help Earthquake Victims in Japan


    Apple has begun taking donations through iTunes, to help the victims of the devastating 8.9 magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami that hit Japan on Friday. 100% of the donations will go directly to the American Red Cross and Apple is waiving its usual 30% fee. Apple is accepting donations through the iTunes store in various denominations ranging from $5-$200. Unfortunately, you can't use iTunes store credit to make donations.

    Apple has also posted a message on the Apple Store website in Japan that reads: ”To those who have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami, we send sympathies from our heart. In this deep sadness, we are praying for the victims and their families.”

    Apple has the largest credit card database of any retailer on the internet. By having all donations go through iTunes, it gives people a quick and easy way to donate money to the relief fund. Donations can also be made directly to the American Red Cross website, as well.



    Our hearts go out to the victims and families of this horrible tragedy.

    Source: Apple
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Taking Donations via iTunes to Help Earthquake Victims in Japan started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 108 Comments
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Why did all those other countries help America when Hurricane Katerina hit, or when the Twin Towers fell? Next time deal with your problems on your own.

      Economic problems and disasters like Japan are completely different.
      I completely agree they are different, but look at it another way. A lot of people are referencing Haiti. Would we expect Haiti to help anyone monetarily in a time of need? Probably not (because it is understood they don't have the resources to spare). The US is LITERALLY spending money they don't have. It's no different than anyone other country spending money that it doesn't have except that, well, it's the US and it has become expected.

      DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE. I am not advocating that we don't help, but people have made some great points. Healthcare in the US is ridiculous, As are a lot of the schools. They hike up fees, cut instructor salaries, and are then upset by the poor student development. All these cuts and we are still digging ourselves deeper and deeper into debt. In the US's case financial and moral responsibilites often don't mesh.

      I am all for helping countries when you have the resources to help. The problem here is that we literally don't, at least not on the massive scale that we are expected to and ALWAYS DO end up helping. Think of it on a personal level. Say you have $10k credit on your credit cards. Why not go max them out and send the money to Japan, haiti, etc. You are doing a good thing. The money can arguably be used better there than you would use it, right? The reason we don't do that is because it is financially irresponsible. US is doing just that. "Keep on adding it to the tab"...
    1. teriyakiboy13's Avatar
      teriyakiboy13 -
      For the guys that are telling people to help the US before Japan, its not like u guys are still donating to the US. If your not donating to japan nor america, stop commenting.
    1. DJ NiveK's Avatar
      DJ NiveK -
      Still don't know what he ment
    1. Kinkme93's Avatar
      Kinkme93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by teriyakiboy13 View Post
      For the guys that are telling people to help the US before Japan, its not like u guys are still donating to the US. If your not donating to japan nor america, stop commenting.
      Why would we donate money to the US? We live here, we pay taxes an I DO donate to local schools & to katrina so don't assume! If we did donate to our country it would b used for war or helping other countries ur comment makes no sence
    1. djdon's Avatar
      djdon -
      Just something to think about... Twin Towers Attack..September 11, Haiti..January 11....Now Japan..March 11. Maybe it's not natural disaster, could be man made. Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I completely agree they are different, but look at it another way. A lot of people are referencing Haiti. Would we expect Haiti to help anyone monetarily in a time of need? Probably not (because it is understood they don't have the resources to spare). The US is LITERALLY spending money they don't have. It's no different than anyone other country spending money that it doesn't have except that, well, it's the US and it has become expected.

      DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE. I am not advocating that we don't help, but people have made some great points. Healthcare in the US is ridiculous, As are a lot of the schools. They hike up fees, cut instructor salaries, and are then upset by the poor student development. All these cuts and we are still digging ourselves deeper and deeper into debt. In the US's case financial and moral responsibilites often don't mesh.

      I am all for helping countries when you have the resources to help. The problem here is that we literally don't, at least not on the massive scale that we are expected to and ALWAYS DO end up helping. Think of it on a personal level. Say you have $10k credit on your credit cards. Why not go max them out and send the money to Japan, haiti, etc. You are doing a good thing. The money can arguably be used better there than you would use it, right? The reason we don't do that is because it is financially irresponsible. US is doing just that. "Keep on adding it to the tab"...
      Healthcare... ask me I know. We pay $500.00 a month for our healthcare, if we need to use it there is a $3,500.00 deductible each year... just used it the end of last year and already this year... so we owe $7,000.00 for deductibles and then we have to pay for prescriptions... which cost us $325.00 per month for my prescriptions for my heart... see how it affects small businesses? However we will still donate to Japan.. it may not be a lot but what we feel we can squeeze out of our budget right now.

      In the long run people even $5.00 will help.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
      Money isn't always the best help. Food - Closes - Shelter - place to clean them selfs. Yes it takes money but I rather donate where they need it the most not to some foundation claiming to be helping but some how a non profit origanization CEO making tons of money. Sorry but the Red Cross is a profit company scamming many people and companies.
      Not saying you are wrong morally, but I suggest you look up what non-profit actually means. It doesn't actually mean nobody in the company profits...

      Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
      Healthcare... ask me I know. We pay $500.00 a month for our healthcare, if we need to use it there is a $3,500.00 deductible each year... just used it the end of last year and already this year... so we owe $7,000.00 for deductibles and then we have to pay for prescriptions... which cost us $325.00 per month for my prescriptions for my heart... see how it affects small businesses? However we will still donate to Japan.. it may not be a lot but what we feel we can squeeze out of our budget right now.

      In the long run people even $5.00 will help.
      We are on the same page here.

      It is worth noting, however, that I was referring strictly to government aid (US gov't specifically) and not personal citizen aid. I know government aid is not at all what this thread is about, I was simply responding to those stating that the US should only help itself, and of course those that are bashing the people that say that as it is not completely black and white for either side.
    1. elkyelky's Avatar
      elkyelky -
      I'm all for charity but japan is the 3rd richest country in the world. They need donations just as much as jobs needs windows 7.
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
      Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.


      I don't think you understand in the slightest how much energy would be required to make something like this happen and actually look like a natural disaster. What technology are you referring to by the way? It simply doesn;t exists.
    1. spardadt's Avatar
      spardadt -
      Those people who are saying why should we even bother helping japan, they are just bunch of selfish bast**ds who only care about their own well-being. Like others who said previously, I'm ashamed of living in the same country as you. hell I'm even ashamed of even living on the same planet as you. Wait till when they get into trouble and in dire need of others' help, they will start whining and crying about how other countries/people wont help. At that time karma will come back and bite them in the a** hard. Real hard.

      Mod edit: I guess you didn't read... This thread is about apple taking donations to help Japan.. everyone has their own thoughts on this.. however please do not point fingers as to their thoughts compared to your thoughts.. in the end we will all help Japan.
    1. Kinkme93's Avatar
      Kinkme93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post


      I don't think you understand in the slightest how much energy would be required to make something like this happen and actually look like a natural disaster. What technology are you referring to by the way? It simply doesn;t exists.
      Hahahahaha I totally agree! It's not like it was a little earth quake and u can blame it on fat ppl!
    1. chillihound's Avatar
      chillihound -
      I'm glad Apple has done this and not taken a cut but I do wonder about their motives.

      Could it be because Japan is Apple's manufactoring location?

      Either way I hope the people of Japan get the help they need as swiftly as possible, I have made my donation.
    1. elkyelky's Avatar
      elkyelky -
      Quote Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
      I'm glad Apple has done this and not taken a cut but I do wonder about their motives.

      Could it be because Japan is Apple's manufactoring location?

      Either way I hope the people of Japan get the help they need as swiftly as possible, I have made my donation.
      My iPhone says 'Assembled in china'.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I completely agree they are different, but look at it another way. A lot of people are referencing Haiti. Would we expect Haiti to help anyone monetarily in a time of need? Probably not (because it is understood they don't have the resources to spare). The US is LITERALLY spending money they don't have. It's no different than anyone other country spending money that it doesn't have except that, well, it's the US and it has become expected.
      Financially, Ireland is pretty much in the $hitter but our Government has pledged cash, supplies and aid workers. But the thing is, majority of money and aid raised comes from regular people and those who can afford to donate not from specific Governments.

      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE. I am not advocating that we don't help, but people have made some great points. Healthcare in the US is ridiculous, As are a lot of the schools. They hike up fees, cut instructor salaries, and are then upset by the poor student development. All these cuts and we are still digging ourselves deeper and deeper into debt. In the US's case financial and moral responsibilites often don't mesh.
      Having poor healthcare or expensive schooling costs or even personal debt or Government debt are nothing compared to entire towns being wiped off the map. I feel like some people here aren't grasping the severity of the disaster. To put it into perspective: The 9/11 Death Toll was about 3000, Hurricane Katrina just under 2000. The expected death toll so far in Japan is exceeding 10,000 a staggering amount, yet not as awful as the 250,000 who died in Haiti.

      Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
      I am all for helping countries when you have the resources to help. The problem here is that we literally don't, at least not on the massive scale that we are expected to and ALWAYS DO end up helping. Think of it on a personal level. Say you have $10k credit on your credit cards. Why not go max them out and send the money to Japan, haiti, etc. You are doing a good thing. The money can arguably be used better there than you would use it, right? The reason we don't do that is because it is financially irresponsible. US is doing just that. "Keep on adding it to the tab"...
      I understand your points about Government Aid and that over the last few years there has been quite a number of events that required external aid. I can understand annoyance that a Government can spend millions (that they dont have) on aid yet they can't put money into education or healthcare but I think disasters like this trump those other expenses and it's early aid that makes the biggest difference.

      Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
      Just something to think about... Twin Towers Attack..September 11, Haiti..January 11....Now Japan..March 11. Maybe it's not natural disaster, could be man made. Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.
      The wave or tsunami was as a result of the earthquake. But maybe Lord Xenu created the earthquake
    1. MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
      MetallicaFan1991 -
      Quote Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
      Could it be because Japan is Apple's manufactoring location?
      Fail! Its CHINA! It says it on the back of nearly every Apple product....
    1. spazturtle's Avatar
      spazturtle -
      Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
      Just something to think about... Twin Towers Attack..September 11, Haiti..January 11....Now Japan..March 11. Maybe it's not natural disaster, could be man made. Given the technology which exist today, it doesn't take much to create a machine which can formulate the same wave and current as a real Tsunami.

      The largest thermonuclear weapon ever created produced 50 megatons, the earthquake in Japan created 474 megatons, that's 2 Exajoules of energy. Try doing some research before posting *******.
    1. Raptors's Avatar
      Raptors -
      Before you donate, remember Little of that money will actually reach japan in help of the disaster. I'm big on donations..but I have never given money to charities. It's all a bunch of bullsh*t. Sad reality but true.

      My Parents are both going to japan soon to ACTUALLY help out.
    1. loud.n.clean's Avatar
      loud.n.clean -
      I have read alot of the treads on this topic. I feel that some of the people about Apple helping, Celebreties, Sports Players, and all other over paid people in the world could do a little better in helping. But I think if we all chipp in and give what we can afford it will help. And looking into it and finding the charities that are affiliated with the actual giving of the help to the Japanese would be better. Movie Stars, Basketball, Football, Baseball Players get paid alot of rediculous money for playing a game they love to play. When blue collar people like myself have worked construction, moving furniture, back braking jobs my whole life wont see a fraction of their pay cut. So yeah it is kind of frustrating to see Apple a "$30,000,000,000.00 Company" not really picking in their own pockets. That is a lot of Zero`s they could give one or two away. I mean really who needs $1,000,000,000.00 for living expenses. Its BS is what it is.
    1. Co1d Night's Avatar
      Co1d Night -
      Seems like some people have taken their stupid pills. Allow me to clear things up.

      Apple is providing a way for you to donate, just like other companies are doing. I know Facebook is one of them.
      Maybe if you guys took a step out of the ignorant bubble once in a while you would've figured it out as well.

      Apple donating? I'm sure they did.


      Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      Seems like some people have taken their stupid pills. Allow me to clear things up.

      Apple is providing a way for you to donate, just like other companies are doing. I know Facebook is one of them.
      Maybe if you guys took a step out of the ignorant bubble once in a while you would've figured it out as well.

      Apple donating? I'm sure they did.


      Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
      Please! Comments like this is like finger pointing and can start arguments! Be nice to your MMi members!