• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • University of Wisconsin Sues Apple Over the A7 Chip


    The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, which is the patent licensing arm of the University of Wisconsin, alleges in a newly-filed lawsuit that Apple’s A7 processor infringes a university-developed patent that improves the “efficiency and performance of contemporary computer processors.” At issue is United States Patent No. 5,781,752 entitled “Table Based Data Speculation Circuit for Parallel Processing Computer.” Computer scientists Andreas Moshovos, Scott Breach, Terani Vijaykumar, and Gurindar Sohi invented the technology while at the University of Wisconsin – Madison.

    The patent’s abstract details a process for allowing quicker execution of processor instructions. The following is mentioned regarding the matter:

    A predictor circuit permits advanced execution of instructions depending for their data on previous instructions by predicting such dependencies based on previous mis-speculations detected at the final stages of processing.
    According to the foundation’s complaint, the researchers’ work “has been recognized as a major milestone in the field of computer microprocessor architecture/design.” Sohi, the group’s leader was given the Eckert-Mauchly Award – “the computer architecture community’s most prestigious award” – for the work contained in the patent according to the filing.

    The Cupertino California company is accused of implementing the patent’s technology in the company’s new 64-bit A7 processor that powers the flagship iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad mini with Retina display. The complaint alleges that Apple was aware of the patent’s existence because it’s cited in several newer patents issued to the Cupertino California company.

    The foundation alleges that the lawsuit was necessary because “Apple has stated that it is the policy of the company not to accept or consider proposals regarding licensing from outside entities like WARF for any purpose.” The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

    WARF is informed and believes, and on this basis alleges, that Apple has incorporated the technology of WARF's '752 patent into the A7 processor to achieve enhanced efficiency and performance. WARF now asks this Court to prevent Apple's unauthorized use of the '752 patent.
    The foundation is seeking an injunction preventing Apple from continuing to use the technology without a license as well as monetary damages, including interest and legal fees.

    We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

    Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: University of Wisconsin Sues Apple Over the A7 Chip started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
    1. Al226's Avatar
      Al226 -
      Load of cr*p probably.
    1. GrandMstrBud's Avatar
      GrandMstrBud -
      Good for them, don't mess with Bucky
    1. znbl's Avatar
      znbl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
      Load of cr*p probably.
      So it's really ok for Apple to steal? In this case, profit from someone else's work without permission? You know, the EXACT same thing they have gone after others for doing. I really don't get this one-sided-ness, especially with a little reading shwo that this is quite legitimate. I don't care who is doing it. It's wrong to just take the work of another, act like you came up with it, and then make money from it, all without giving a penny back. This sort of act is simply indefensible.
    1. zeppy's Avatar
      zeppy -
      WARF is attempting to grab a lot of $$$ from Apple, (which is good karma)

      Wikipedia: The A7 is manufactured by Samsung ... and the chip includes over 1 billion transistors...

      Under patent law "ideas cannot be patented" (but often are... because of $$$ corruption)

      If Apple designed the A7 to incorporate the "predictor circuit idea" then Apple owes nothing to WARF.

      If Apple was the first to build a working "predictor circuit" into the (A7) processor using an "idea from WARF" then too bad for WARF for sharing the idea before building a working model themselves.

      Who is to say that Apple engineers did not have a similar "predictor circuit" idea first? Maybe the "predictor circuit" idea or concept came from Apple or other's previous ideas and concepts and WARF was just the first to be granted a patent?

      Apple should only have to pay license fees or royalties to WARF if a working prototype for the WARF "predictor circuit" was built and therefore existed prior to Apple designing the A7 specifications.

      If WARF built a working "predictor circuit" prototype and can demonstrate such then Apple will be ordered at some point to pay WARF accordingly.

      Either way, how wonderful it is to see Apple getting sued rightly or wrongly since Apple has sued so many, so often, and so greedily in the past.

      Apple today and from it's very beginning under Steve Jobs has "stolen or borrowed" from so many individuals, products and companies that some of Apple's so-called innovation is just theft by Apple.

      Apple hates competition that threatens their product dominance and business model so Apple constantly sues real competitors who simply produce products that compete with Apple products.

      Apple has "borrowed a.k.a. stolen" so many iOS ideas from so many developers, including many Cydia tweaks and add-ons that each new iOS looks and behaves eerily similar to previous jail-broken iOS versions.

      If Apple had not "stolen or borrowed" all of these ideas, we would still be stuck at iOS 4.xx something and Apple's current iOS would be stale and primitive compared to what iOS 7 is today.

      Apple has "stolen or borrowed" more than Apple has innovated.

      Long live competition and may competitors please continue to sue Apple whenever possible.

      In closing, Apple has designed and built some terrific products for the masses, changed the direction and future of computing and as a result has made the world a better place.
    1. phoenix3200's Avatar
      phoenix3200 -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
      .
      Who is to say that Apple engineers did not have a similar "predictor circuit" idea first? Maybe the "predictor circuit" idea or concept came from Apple or other's previous ideas and concepts and WARF was just the first to be granted a patent?
      Intel was sued about this same exact patent in 2008...for something called a trace cache. And Intel themselves contributed money towards the researcher's work on the idea and were treated as such.

      So guess how much leniency the judges are likely to show to Apple.
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
      Either way, how wonderful it is to see Apple getting sued rightly or wrongly since Apple has sued so many, so often, and so greedily in the past.

      Apple today and from it's very beginning under Steve Jobs has "stolen or borrowed" from so many individuals, products and companies that some of Apple's so-called innovation is just theft by Apple.

      Apple hates competition that threatens their product dominance and business model so Apple constantly sues real competitors who simply produce products that compete with Apple products.

      Apple has "borrowed a.k.a. stolen" so many iOS ideas from so many developers, including many Cydia tweaks and add-ons that each new iOS looks and behaves eerily similar to previous jail-broken iOS versions.

      If Apple had not "stolen or borrowed" all of these ideas, we would still be stuck at iOS 4.xx something and Apple's current iOS would be stale and primitive compared to what iOS 7 is today.

      Apple has "stolen or borrowed" more than Apple has innovated.

      Long live competition and may competitors please continue to sue Apple whenever possible.

      In closing, Apple has designed and built some terrific products for the masses, changed the direction and future of computing and as a result has made the world a better place.
      You know that companies sue other companies all the time right? It's just that Apple gets all the headlines because everything Apple does gets headline. Few people care about who Oracle is suing or getting sued by because people don't even know who Oracle is!

      Also, Google has "borrowed or stolen" as much, if not more than Apple. They've bought hundreds of companies and then implemented the tech of those companies as their own "innovation". They can't even build a thermostat. They had to buy Nest for $3 billion for that! And they bought Motorola purely for it's intellectual property! Even their crown jewel, Android, was acquired from outside!!

      Didn't anyone ever tell you people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
    1. zeppy's Avatar
      zeppy -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      You know that companies sue other companies all the time right? It's just that Apple gets all the headlines because everything Apple does gets headline. Few people care about who Oracle is suing or getting sued by because people don't even know who Oracle is!

      Also, Google has "borrowed or stolen" as much, if not more than Apple. They've bought hundreds of companies and then implemented the tech of those companies as their own "innovation". They can't even build a thermostat. They had to buy Nest for $3 billion for that! And they bought Motorola purely for it's intellectual property! Even their crown jewel, Android, was acquired from outside!!

      Didn't anyone ever tell you people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
      Perfectly stated and your words ring with truth. Thanks
    1. iH85CH001's Avatar
      iH85CH001 -
      I hope they win. Maybe this will finally teach apple a lesson that their new devices and iOS are bullsh*t anyway.