• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Student Receives 2nd Degree Burns After iPhone 5c Catches Fire in Her Pocket in Class


    A 14-year old student from Kennebunk, Maine has reportedly received second-degree burns from a faulty iPhone 5c that caught fire while it was in her pocket in the middle of her middle-school class. Above, are the remains of the green-colored iPhone 5c, which you can see, are destroyed and no longer functional.

    The student's pants reportedly caught on fire from the burning iPhone 5c, and they needed to be removed from the student after she had performed 'stop, drop, and roll' to try and suffocate the flames. As the Morning Sentinel reports, 911 was called, and the student was taken to a hospital and given medical attention following the incident.

    According to Andrew Rosenstein, the owner of a nearby Apple device repair shop, the lithium-ion battery that powers these devices was probably to blame:

    There’s basically a lithium-ion type rechargeable battery built in (to an iPhone). The battery, as it charges and discharges, it’s really a chemical reaction that can generate heat. It’s very rare there can be an issue, but any battery is just a chemical composition that can be flammable in extreme circumstances.
    While rare, there is always the possibility that a lithium-ion battery, inside of any device (not just Apple's), can fail and cause one of these catastrophes.

    The 14-year old student is okay and was encouraged by medical personnel to go home for the rest of the day even though she had wanted to return to school following the 45-minute hospital visit.

    Sources: Morning Sentinel via 9to5Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Student Receives 2nd Degree Burns After iPhone 5s Catches Fire in Her Pocket in Class started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 28 Comments
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      0.000001% is about the number of 5C phone catching fire, yet the Fandroids on other blogs are feasting on this as a prime example of why Apple is terrible...

      All the while forgetting about those Galaxy phones catching fire a year or two ago, and all the lame excuses they made for it.
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      I am actually surprised there aren't more stories like this from all sorts of devices. I am also an RC hobbyist and the batteries can be finicky. It doesn't take much to make them unstable. The low incidence of this happening shows there is a strong quality control system in place.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      The student's pants reportedly caught on fire
      Heh.
    1. sknet's Avatar
      sknet -
      student pants inside might be 150degree hot
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      I am actually surprised there aren't more stories like this from all sorts of devices. I am also an RC hobbyist and the batteries can be finicky. It doesn't take much to make them unstable. The low incidence of this happening shows there is a strong quality control system in place.
      The quality of the battery is probably greater, but also it's attached to a very powerful computer that can constantly monitor its state. An RC toy usually doesn't have that.

      Regardless, I hope Apple refunds her money and gives her a new iPhone
    1. crusader281's Avatar
      crusader281 -
      Can someone say cha Ching $$$$
    1. jrrtps's Avatar
      jrrtps -
      doesn´t matter about the number, if the problem exist must be fix that´s all......
    1. flash66's Avatar
      flash66 -
      Anyone that tuned on a tv since Friday has already heard about this. Like picking up Fridays paper from the trash on Monday to read.
    1. XweAponX's Avatar
      XweAponX -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      0.000001% is about the number of 5C phone catching fire, yet the Fandroids on other blogs are feasting on this as a prime example of why Apple is terrible...

      All the while forgetting about those Galaxy phones catching fire a year or two ago, and all the lame excuses they made for it.
      Your right, the cult of droiders will make this a big issue
    1. zachfawaz's Avatar
      zachfawaz -
      Should've paid extra for the 5S
    1. Cmds187's Avatar
      Cmds187 -
      w0w another lawsuit they got it
    1. Christophxr's Avatar
      Christophxr -
      When I saw this article, the very first thing I expected was yet another jank-***, fake iPhone causing problems in China.

      Glad the girl's all right.
    1. thaforgottenone's Avatar
      thaforgottenone -
      read somewhere else that she had her iPhone in the back pocket as she sat down.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      I think she told a lie and the phone got burnt because her pants caught on fire. ::rimshot
    1. Spazmonic's Avatar
      Spazmonic -
      Quote Originally Posted by thaforgottenone View Post
      read somewhere else that she had her iPhone in the back pocket as she sat down.
      If she turns it off and back on it should be fine.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      This article is incorrect. According to the Associated Press, the phone was NOT faulty, but it was in her back pocket when she sat down the iPhone physically broke.
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by zachfawaz View Post
      Should've paid extra for the 5S

      True Dat.
    1. ThatOneProfile's Avatar
      ThatOneProfile -
      Regardless of who's at fault here, I smell a lawsuit.
    1. xWalmartCandyx's Avatar
      xWalmartCandyx -
      I smell a lawsuit coming...
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      I'm all for Hot Pants coming back into style.