A 14-year old student from Kennebunk, Maine has reportedly received second-degree burns from a faulty iPhone 5c that caught fire while it was in her pocket in the middle of her middle-school class. Above, are the remains of the green-colored iPhone 5c, which you can see, are destroyed and no longer functional.
The student's pants reportedly caught on fire from the burning iPhone 5c, and they needed to be removed from the student after she had performed 'stop, drop, and roll' to try and suffocate the flames. As the Morning Sentinel reports, 911 was called, and the student was taken to a hospital and given medical attention following the incident.
According to Andrew Rosenstein, the owner of a nearby Apple device repair shop, the lithium-ion battery that powers these devices was probably to blame:
There’s basically a lithium-ion type rechargeable battery built in (to an iPhone). The battery, as it charges and discharges, it’s really a chemical reaction that can generate heat. It’s very rare there can be an issue, but any battery is just a chemical composition that can be flammable in extreme circumstances.
The 14-year old student is okay and was encouraged by medical personnel to go home for the rest of the day even though she had wanted to return to school following the 45-minute hospital visit.
Sources: Morning Sentinel via 9to5Mac