• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Releases FaceTime for Mac With a $0.99 Price Tag


    Earlier today Apple released FaceTime 1.0 for Mac, available now in the Mac App Store, with a new $0.99 price tag. What seems to have been a free app during beta stages, has not been officially taged with a price.

    Macworld's Dan Moren, says that the charge is due to accounting requirements. Apple claims there is nothing abnormal about this charge, and reminds us of the 801.11n update that cost $2.

    Apple generally stands by its notion that when new features are added as such, they have the power to tag a price to it. According to Apple, this is a substantial new feature addition, however I don`t buy it. Video calling is NOT a new feature. Sure its FaceTime, but this technology has been around for years. If they really wanted a reason to charge $0.99, say it's because of the addtion of HD quality video. (Yes this newest update adds HD video quality)

    Ironically, the new MacBook Pros released today will actually come loaded with a FaceTime app free of charge. Why free? Simply because the packaging and information detail FaceTime as being part of the Mac itself.

    What is your thought? Yeah it's only $1.00 but does this seem right to you? I'll stick to Skype for now, as it allows you to "FaceTime" from iDevice to PC no problem. And it's free!

    FaceTime on the Mac App Store
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Releases FaceTime for Mac With a $0.99 Price Tag started by nickhesson View original post
    Comments 48 Comments
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
      Haaaa! Lol

      I posted this earlier on the Mac software section but I guess no one can see those until they hit front page , hmmm
      Lol yah I saw that no worries you get my props
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      Does the beta FaceTime still work?


      Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      I'd legitimately rather just use Skype (or Gtalk or Yahoo's video clients) even if this were free. I am still going to be extremely limited on who I can contact with facetime being that it's proprietary Apple software.
    1. endwaro's Avatar
      endwaro -
      Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
      Does the beta FaceTime still work?


      Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
      Yes it does i tried it and it worked.
      I dont have to pay the 1 dollar thing hahaha ..............For now..........
    1. sircutbreaker's Avatar
      sircutbreaker -
      Maybe the developers are getting a bonus?
    1. LSZ33's Avatar
      LSZ33 -
      I don't agree with it because if Apple is trying to make Facetime the standard, then they'll lose out by doing so. If the charge is related to the HD video, then it's cool. On another note, At&t should allow this natively over 3G. Just my 2cents.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      well done Appl£, this will turn more people to piracy, not what you want so you say
    1. ismoothproject's Avatar
      ismoothproject -
      I don't really care! If it is Apple, I am sure it is worth it! I mean, look how much we all paid for Macs and it is so much better than Windows! And plus, this is for upgrading. Just like we pay for the latest Operating System of Mac OS X and the new computers come with it free! That's basically how it is and we are all used to that. I pay for MobileMe for my company's website and it is so worth it to!

      Thanks,
      The iSmooth Project
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Will there be any free FaceTime apps released to the Mac App Store I wonder to use this "open" standard
    1. lsixecho's Avatar
      lsixecho -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Why not just update iChat?
      Why do you we need FaceTime App and iChat.
      iChat let's you audio chat. It also let's you text chat and screen share someone elses's Mac or have them look at your screen. Super helpful feature when helping someone with something or getting help. FaceTime has none of these features. I hope they dont drop iChat in Lion just because they want FaceTime to become the standard.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lsixecho View Post
      iChat let's you audio chat. It also let's you text chat and screen share someone elses's Mac or have them look at your screen. Super helpful feature when helping someone with something or getting help. FaceTime has none of these features. I hope they dont drop iChat in Lion just because they want FaceTime to become the standard.
      If they dropped it that would be a fail on their part unless they put FT in the Lion OS.
    1. ~Steve Jobs~'s Avatar
      ~Steve Jobs~ -
      glad i got it when it was free
    1. doitchinkstyle's Avatar
      doitchinkstyle -
      i'm happy with my beta. my unibody mb doesn't have an hd cam ne ways, so i wouldn't even benefit from spending that extra buck. maybe i'll buy a ringtone instead? NOT!
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lsixecho View Post
      iChat let's you audio chat. It also let's you text chat and screen share someone elses's Mac or have them look at your screen. Super helpful feature when helping someone with something or getting help. FaceTime has none of these features. I hope they dont drop iChat in Lion just because they want FaceTime to become the standard.
      iChat also does video chat, which is why i said would it not just have been better to update iChat to support FaceTime
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Don't like macs, can't wait to see facetime hacked into windows. Imagine that? Millions of windows with facetime, wow!
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      Don't like macs, can't wait to see facetime hacked into windows. Imagine that? Millions of windows with facetime, wow!
      If it's an open standard like Apple claimed, then there should be nothing stopping anyone from developing a FaceTime app for Windows. Hell even Apple should develop it and charge for it
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      I think Developing a facetime app for windows would be a smart idea, but you NEVER know with apple!
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      One thing I forgot to mention was that within minutes of Apple releasing FaceTime for Mac it was #1 of Paid Apps......I doubt it. Guess it helps when you run the store
    1. chillihound's Avatar
      chillihound -
      I don't use it on my iPhone 4 so i'm definately not buying for my mac
    1. piston597's Avatar
      piston597 -
      If you spend $1000 I think spending $1 will be OK to get the most of it. Apple sure are douches though...