• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Geohot Asks For Help from Hacker Backers via PayPal to Fight Sony


    It's been a rough 2011 so far for iconic hacker Geohot. Since his recent rap against Sony's hacker witch hunt didn't result in a lucrative recording contract, it now appears that Geohot is in need of a different strategy to raise funds for his legal defense against Sony. With the writing clearly on the wall, Geohot is gearing up for what could be an extended battle. Consequently, Geohot has established a "legal defense fund" via PayPal to help offset court-room costs, which have already topped $10,000.

    "Media, I need your help," George “Geohot” Hotz posted on his updated blog. "This is the first time I have ever asked. Please, if you support this cause, help me out and spread the word.I want, by the time this goes to trial, to have Sony facing some of the hardest hitting lawyers in the business.Together, we can help fix the system." According to Geohot, Sony is "lame," because the company is suing him for essentially hacking his own PS3.

    "Donations here are for legal defense ONLY," Geohot adds. "I checked with my lawyers before setting this up If you have another substantial way to donate aside from money, let me know." In recent weeks, George Hotz has received no shortage of mainstream media attention, far extending his notable celebrity status, which was once largely limited to our community.

    Geohot says that the ensuing legal battle with Sony is about consumer rights, which are also on trial in this skirmish with Sony. As the well-known hacker states, "I am an advocate against mass piracy, do not distribute anyone's copyrighted work but my own, do not take crap lying down, and am even pro DRM in a sense." Nonetheless, Sony wants his head on a platter. And, as a result, Geohot is turning to his friends and supporters for help.

    To read Geohot's plea for PayPal donations, click here.

    Source: Geohot
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Geohot Asks For Help from Hacker Backers via PayPal to Fight Sony started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 132 Comments
    1. James360Petty's Avatar
      James360Petty -
      Quote Originally Posted by eman297 View Post
      We wouldnt lose cydia, they would have to get saurik for us to lose cydia but this case will be going on for years
      Don't be naive..... Saurik relys absolutely on people like GeoHot to provide a platform for Cydia..... last time I checked Cydias not worth anything without a Jailbreak!!!
    1. Evilsaint's Avatar
      Evilsaint -
      Go geo!!!
      Yes he might be a bit cocky but IMO all those contributions to jb community free I think he's done enough I like sonys playstation line I have almost every one of them but the ability to run homebrew is awesome. I hope they loose the suit and allow the other os option back with legal home-brews as well as ban all those pirating hackers and those who spoil black ops for me :P
    1. gqgarnett's Avatar
      gqgarnett -
      To jailbreak and unlock he did it
      For all of us so let's do something for him like donate. So donate to geo hot for legal purpose
    1. nebo1ss's Avatar
      nebo1ss -
      Quote Originally Posted by gqgarnett View Post
      To jailbreak and unlock he did it
      For all of us so let's do something for him like donate. So donate to geo hot for legal purpose
      I will definitely throw in $100 but I am concerned paypal is going to freeze this account and grab the money.
      Think it would be better if he sets up a bank account through law firm and publish the acc number. Would be first in line but want to make sure I am helping his case against Sony and not making paypal rich.
    1. nebo1ss's Avatar
      nebo1ss -
      Quote Originally Posted by neonsector View Post
      werent you the same guy that was crying like a little ***** when he wouldnt release greenpois0n? then you had your lips locked on his **** after he did? calling him god?
      When you know nothing you should say nothing. Every jb since iOS 4 including gp, lm, gp2, sb, rs etc all use Geohot botrom exploit.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      Again, I want to see proof that the string of characters are copyrighted or not. Where does it say its copyrighted? Just because someone from another post says its copyrighted does that make it? I want to hear from SONY not some ignorant *** just trying to act smart.
      Ok it may not be copyrighted but it's still not Geohots or anyone else's property other than Sony. He should have just kept it to himself to leaked it anonymously.
      You own the hardware, the software is simply licensed to you. He broke the DMCA and the PS3 EULA and he knew he was breaking both terms. Simple.

      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      For anyone else here who is throwing hissys about how they're not going to "throw in a cent", you're pissing your freedom away. Have fun because in the future corporate companies are going to take over and take away your right to jailbreak, hack, and mod whatever device or computer you have. Hope you enjoy the future!
      More paranoid comments of a bleak future ruled by corporate fat-cats
    1. MSFLFC's Avatar
      MSFLFC -
      Justice 4 Geohot - don't buy Sony products, bought the t-shirt and have donated already. Not mainly because he is the sole reason for me owning (read: wanting) an iPhone as he released the JB to free it, but also because if Sony wins it will set a precedent that MUST NOT prevail for the sake of ALL CONSUMERS across product lines.

      We cannot afford to have Geohot lose this case. Please read his blog, gather info, make up your mind and you should come to ONE conclusion = donate whatever little or much you can! Anything else is fascist in its deepest sense.
      They say jump, what do you say?
    1. The Amazing Atheist's Avatar
      The Amazing Atheist -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Ok it may not be copyrighted but it's still not Geohots or anyone else's property other than Sony. He should have just kept it to himself to leaked it anonymously.
      You own the hardware, the software is simply licensed to you. He broke the DMCA and the PS3 EULA and he knew he was breaking both terms. Simple.


      More paranoid comments of a bleak future ruled by corporate fat-cats
      If it's not copyrighted then it's not illegal to leak it.

      And it's not paranoia, it's the truth.


      Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    1. nicrfe's Avatar
      nicrfe -
      It's funny to look at how geo is acting compared to how fail0verflow is acting. I like geo but when he went on tv and took credit for fail0verflows work I lost a lot of respect for him.
    1. gotanmp3's Avatar
      gotanmp3 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      For anyone else here who is throwing hissys about how they're not going to "throw in a cent", you're pissing your freedom away. Have fun because in the future corporate companies are going to take over and take away your right to jailbreak, hack, and mod whatever device or computer you have. Hope you enjoy the future!
      If you really want to hurt these companies, you simply avoid buying their products and tell others why you refuse to buy them. I'd much rather donate to the Electronic Frontier Foundation or the Free Software Foundation than some young "hacktivist" who lacks the maturity to face the consequences of his own actions.

      Granted, it's a moot point now that he's closed his donations - but the fact remains if you really want to make a difference, you need to attack companies like Sony not with hacking or jailbreaking, but by boycotting their products and educating others why they should do the same!
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Th3_Amazing_Ath3ist View Post
      And it's not paranoia, it's the truth.
      Didn't know you could see the future haha
      How can you saying something that is speculation of the future is truth? Hilarious
    1. ikesmasher's Avatar
      ikesmasher -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      You don't have to distribute anything. Bypassing it alone is illegal. That is Sony's case. Sony is not accusing him of pirating. They are accusing him of circumventing the DCMA of the PS3.
      but the legal files say that "Mr. Hotz did NOT update his Playstation computer via PSN update, so he is not subject to the TOS."