• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Geohot Asks For Help from Hacker Backers via PayPal to Fight Sony


    It's been a rough 2011 so far for iconic hacker Geohot. Since his recent rap against Sony's hacker witch hunt didn't result in a lucrative recording contract, it now appears that Geohot is in need of a different strategy to raise funds for his legal defense against Sony. With the writing clearly on the wall, Geohot is gearing up for what could be an extended battle. Consequently, Geohot has established a "legal defense fund" via PayPal to help offset court-room costs, which have already topped $10,000.

    "Media, I need your help," George “Geohot” Hotz posted on his updated blog. "This is the first time I have ever asked. Please, if you support this cause, help me out and spread the word.I want, by the time this goes to trial, to have Sony facing some of the hardest hitting lawyers in the business.Together, we can help fix the system." According to Geohot, Sony is "lame," because the company is suing him for essentially hacking his own PS3.

    "Donations here are for legal defense ONLY," Geohot adds. "I checked with my lawyers before setting this up If you have another substantial way to donate aside from money, let me know." In recent weeks, George Hotz has received no shortage of mainstream media attention, far extending his notable celebrity status, which was once largely limited to our community.

    Geohot says that the ensuing legal battle with Sony is about consumer rights, which are also on trial in this skirmish with Sony. As the well-known hacker states, "I am an advocate against mass piracy, do not distribute anyone's copyrighted work but my own, do not take crap lying down, and am even pro DRM in a sense." Nonetheless, Sony wants his head on a platter. And, as a result, Geohot is turning to his friends and supporters for help.

    To read Geohot's plea for PayPal donations, click here.

    Source: Geohot
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Geohot Asks For Help from Hacker Backers via PayPal to Fight Sony started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 132 Comments
    1. SirTimothy1's Avatar
      SirTimothy1 -
      Donation sent.
      Regardless of what you think of the man, what's happening to him goes against natural law. He has always worked hard for us for free, the least we could do is support him.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Geo knew that this would happen. When he started hacking the PS3 he originally said he wouldn't release it and this is why. He is guilty. Throw your money at another cause.
    1. Hexane's Avatar
      Hexane -
      Donated my whole paypal balance, 1 dollar D: I hope it helps him anyway
      At school too, supprisingly paypal and modmyi and geohot.com is unblocked, lol.
    1. WmSDubStep's Avatar
      WmSDubStep -
      I would so lol if Microsoft contacted him and donated him the money rofl
    1. sadsamurai's Avatar
      sadsamurai -
      I do not have a PS3 and do not care for it.
      However I used GeoHot's Limera1n to jailbreak my iPhone 4, without which (JB) there would be no reason for me to have an iPhone.
      So the least I can do is help the dude out against corporate bullying.
      When I buy a product it is mine, I do whatever the hell I want with it, so feck off Sony.
      I only have one single Sony product in my house and I will make sure not to buy anything made by Sony again. No Sony TV, no Sony camera, no Sony laptop, no Sony nothing. F. em.
      I'll be sending a donation today, good luck Geohot.
      By the way what's with all the haters?
      I wonder how many of those use his jailbreak.
      Farking hypocrites.
    1. -_-'s Avatar
      -_- -
      Regardless if you agree or not with him, send an email to Sony. Let them know what you think. I honestly think that if enough people get the word out to them, they'll have to consider his case even more controversial.
    1. Kil0111's Avatar
      Kil0111 -
      me n my buddy donated...f-off sony! i wont be buying anymore product from you... Boycott sony!
    1. ash3s2012's Avatar
      ash3s2012 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
      I do not have a PS3 and do not care for it.
      However I used GeoHot's Limera1n to jailbreak my iPhone 4, without which (JB) there would be no reason for me to have an iPhone.
      So the least I can do is help the dude out against corporate bullying.
      When I buy a product it is mine, I do whatever the hell I want with it, so feck off Sony.
      I only have one single Sony product in my house and I will make sure not to buy anything made by Sony again. No Sony TV, no Sony camera, no Sony laptop, no Sony nothing. F. em.
      I'll be sending a donation today, good luck Geohot.
      By the way what's with all the haters?
      I wonder how many of those use his jailbreak.
      Farking hypocrites.

      I wonder how many of those use his jailbreak.
      Farking hypocrites.

      TOTALLY AGREE +1
    1. ikesmasher's Avatar
      ikesmasher -
      it looks like geohot is winning/won the jurisdiction case. im reading through some of the case documents.
    1. GoldfishTX's Avatar
      GoldfishTX -
      I think we can all agree that geohot is a snotty brat, but this lawsuit from Sony is ridiculous. Since this has started, I have talked several people out of large purchases of Sony laptops and televisions, and will continue to make sure that even people outside of the "hack" or "jailbreak" community understand the bully tactics that Sony is engaging in.

      I'm sure Sony thinks he is a snotty brat, too. However, this isn't legal grounds for anything. I hope they lose, and I donated, too. I wish I could get my money back for the two PS3s that I own. They were never hacked or modified, but I'd dump them just on general principle if they'd return my money.
    1. claud's Avatar
      claud -
      Hey Geohot,
      You have my support, just donated. Its not a lot but its as much as i can spare.
      I cant even count how many times you and others like you have made my restricted toys much more then the designers ever thought of.
      Keep hacking.
      Fan Claud
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ash3s2012 View Post
      I wonder how many of those use his jailbreak.
      Farking hypocrites.

      TOTALLY AGREE +1
      I don't know if I use his jailbreak or not ( always used pwnage tool ) but I'd have no problem donating him money for his work on that if he asked.
      The problem I have is I don't want to donate to support his legal fees for a lawsuit he brought upon himself. He knew perfectly well that his own actions of posting all that Sony Property/Code on his website would bring about a lawsuit. I've no sympathy for him regarding the mess he got himself into.

      I wonder are all these Sony Boycotters gonna stop watching Sony movies, or listening to music on Sony Labels?
    1. AnthonyGiola's Avatar
      AnthonyGiola -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      Suing Geohotz is stupid to be honest but then he shouldn't have leaked copyrighted stuff from the PS3 OS.

      Now that Sony are banning hackers from PSN and their PS3's, they should just secure the PS3 more and drop the lawsuit.

      You have the right to hack your PS3 but most of the people who hacked the PS3, did it for MW2 online hacks and that effects other players which has made MW2 online unplayable on PS3, which is why I'm in favour of banning all hacked PS3's.
      Thats the point though. The private key he "leaked" isn't copyrighted. You cannot copyright a string of characters. Hes basically getting sued because he pissed Sony off. He also said he is in favor of banning the hackers (which I agree with) but on the other hand Sony's method of finding said hackers is essentially spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if another suit came up because of that but against Sony. All in all Sony is dragging themselves through the mud with this but oh well.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      I don't know if I use his jailbreak or not ( always used pwnage tool ) but I'd have no problem donating him money for his work on that if he asked.
      The problem I have is I don't want to donate to support his legal fees for a lawsuit he brought upon himself. He knew perfectly well that his own actions of posting all that Sony Property/Code on his website would bring about a lawsuit. I've no sympathy for him regarding the mess he got himself into.

      I wonder are all these Sony Boycotters gonna stop watching Sony movies, or listening to music on Sony Labels?
      If they want to. Everyone has the right to as they please.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGiola View Post
      Thats the point though. The private key he "leaked" isn't copyrighted. You cannot copyright a string of characters. Hes basically getting sued because he pissed Sony off. He also said he is in favor of banning the hackers (which I agree with) but on the other hand Sony's method of finding said hackers is essentially spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if another suit came up because of that but against Sony. All in all Sony is dragging themselves through the mud with this but oh well.
      The metldr key itself has been bypassed which is a violation of the DCMA. Although the key itself may or may not be copyrighted, circumventing it allows you to have access to copyrighted material. That is against the law.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
      If they want to. Everyone has the right to as they please.
      Hmm it's very easy to lay down claims that you'll boycott a company. Putting those claims into practice is a whole other matter better throw out all your Sony CDs,MP3s DVDs and Blu-Rays
      People are called hypocrites for using Geohots jailbreak tools and not supporting him in his time of need. People who claim to boycott Sony but still use their wide range of products and services need to remember that they too are hypocrites.
    1. mofolo's Avatar
      mofolo -
      Donated.

      Give them HELL!
    1. Newbee123's Avatar
      Newbee123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
      I do not have a PS3 and do not care for it.
      However I used GeoHot's Limera1n to jailbreak my iPhone 4, without which (JB) there would be no reason for me to have an iPhone.
      So the least I can do is help the dude out against corporate bullying.
      When I buy a product it is mine, I do whatever the hell I want with it, so feck off Sony.
      I only have one single Sony product in my house and I will make sure not to buy anything made by Sony again. No Sony TV, no Sony camera, no Sony laptop, no Sony nothing. F. em.
      I'll be sending a donation today, good luck Geohot.
      By the way what's with all the haters?
      I wonder how many of those use his jailbreak.
      Farking hypocrites.
      You'r absolutely right. I'll donate.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Hmm it's very easy to lay down claims that you'll boycott a company. Putting those claims into practice is a whole other matter better throw out all your Sony CDs,MP3s DVDs and Blu-Rays
      People are called hypocrites for using Geohots jailbreak tools and not supporting him in his time of need. People who claim to boycott Sony but still use their wide range of products and services need to remember that they too are hypocrites.
      I plan on using my PS3 until the PS4 comes out. Sony is trying to protect their investments and will bypass this hack very soon in an update.
    1. ikesmasher's Avatar
      ikesmasher -
      Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGiola View Post
      Thats the point though. The private key he "leaked" isn't copyrighted. You cannot copyright a string of characters. Hes basically getting sued because he pissed Sony off. He also said he is in favor of banning the hackers (which I agree with) but on the other hand Sony's method of finding said hackers is essentially spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if another suit came up because of that but against Sony. All in all Sony is dragging themselves through the mud with this but oh well.
      The people that should be banned are the people that would aimbot in FPS games and that would pirate copyrighted material. Hacking for the intent of homebrew, uncopyrighted material is perfectly fine.

      As to the other guy who responded to the post i qouted-
      bypassing that code allows copyrighted material to be accessed-but geohot isnt redistributing copyrighted material.