• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Sony Dishes Out 'Lifetime Ban' to Known Hackers


    This week, electronics giant Sony began dishing out lifetime bans to known PlayStation 3 hackers. The "ban" in question effectively bars any and all identified PS3 hackers from using Sony's online services for the rest of their lives. Pretty harsh, indeed. But over the course of the last 72 hours, countless PS3 hackers identified by Sony have begun receiving e-mail notices from Sony, a communication promptly followed by a full and irrevocable PlayStation 3 console ban. In order to avoid the dreaded Sony blacklist, hackers are required to "immediately cease use and remove all circumvention devices and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from their PlayStation 3 systems."

    The writing, however, has been on the wall for some time. According to the official word on the PlayStation blog: "Violation of the system software license agreement for the PlayStation 3 System invalidates the consumer guarantee for that system. In addition, copying or playing pirated software is a violation of international copyright laws. Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently."

    Naturally, many are wondering if Sony's crackdown on hackers foreshadows how Apple will deal with iOS jailbreakers in the future, particularly with regard to the forthcoming 5th generation iPhone. Although there is no concrete evidence to confirm such theories, many believe Apple's hardcore crackdown on jailbreaking and unlocking will begin in earnest this year, effectively following the lead of Sony and others who refuse to play nicely with members of our community.

    According to coverage provided this week by CNET, "a majority of commenters" to Sony's blog heralding the lifetime hacker ban "seem pleased" by Sony's decisive action. "Thanks for acknowledging this officially. Good to know Sony is not just hoping that this goes away," one poster wrote, adding "Thank You Sony! Ban these punks!" On the other hand, there were adamant defenders of the prohibited behavior. "If Sony actually took the time to know what us (the consumers) wanted, maybe they would see less piracy," a hacker-friendly poster wrote. "I mean the whole reason hackers want to hack the PSP Go is to play games that are still only available in UMD only."

    Source: CNET
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Sony Dishes Out 'Lifetime Ban' to Known Hackers started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 143 Comments
    1. zturn13's Avatar
      zturn13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
      It's not that special. It's a samsung hdd you can buy at most electronic retailers.
      for the 360 it is a standard hdd in a spacial little case with a line of code and that tells the 360 it is from MS and if you hack it and the find out you will be band

      Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
      Last I checked ms bans ur ip. So buying a new console won't fix it.
      if your on dsl every time you restart your modem you get a new ip address
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
      Another reason to have an XBox...
      xbox does the same thing it bans people off of Live all the time theres never a reason to have an Xbox
    1. zturn13's Avatar
      zturn13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
      As long as you use it offline I don't care but the annoying kids that use the jailbreak to do online hacks is damn right annoying. Sony should ban hackers and pirates and any other person that take their PS3 online.
      not everyone jailbreaks for piracy and mods for online in game use i have a jail broken iphone since the 3g and i dont pirate any apps i wouldnt on my ps3 i would do some cool mods to it tho but nothing that would cheat online
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
      Last I checked ms bans ur ip. So buying a new console won't fix it.
      Microsoft can ban a console or your XBL account or both. Microsoft doesn't ban your IP. It bans your unique console ID.

      Quote Originally Posted by zturn13 View Post
      no i do believe their tos says that your console and account will be banned with no refund my friend had to buy a new console and set up a new email to get a new account with xboxlive
      Microsoft more often just ban your console and your XBL account is left intact. You can migrate it to an unbanned console no problem. They can ban XBL accounts but its a lot more rare.
    1. zturn13's Avatar
      zturn13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Microsoft more often just ban your console and your XBL account is left intact. You can migrate it to an unbanned console no problem. They can ban XBL accounts but its a lot more rare.
      yea idk what he did but they banned both lol
    1. innovaciones's Avatar
      innovaciones -
      Quote Originally Posted by ibwizzle View Post
      i had no intensions of pirating games. I just wanted to install windows 7 so i can have a better range of codecs and use emulators to play classic games. But since i'll be forced to buy a second ps3, best believe i'll pirate 5 games or so till i break-even...!
      lol!!!!!!
    1. creasy425's Avatar
      creasy425 -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Microsoft can ban a console or your XBL account or both. Microsoft doesn't ban your IP. It bans your unique console id
      You're right. Its bungie that will ban ur IP.
    1. cb22's Avatar
      cb22 -
      Apple knows they will lose a large number of customers of they go the same route as sony. Apple is making money from this!!! not a crazy amount of money but enough for them to notice!
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by WmSDubStep View Post
      Seriously, we pay over 200 or more for these stuff. We should be able to do what we like with it.
      I know it's the law, but it's pathetic. It's like selling someone an Orange and telling them what to do with it..

      Hmm what do you want to do with an orange?
    1. HitNWakes's Avatar
      HitNWakes -
      XBL just bans console's (usually) I am proof, 2 years ago got banned then went out and bought a XboX Arcade console and I used my same XBL account. Now I just play emu's & watch DVD's on my banned console. Why they gota hate? I understand kick'N pirated SW, but playing old school EMU's? They can never pull me away from old school games! The XBL Frogger is nothing comapred to its Original (Mame Arcade) version.
    1. Gazuga6176's Avatar
      Gazuga6176 -
      That's what I thought too. Guess another court battle is at hand.
    1. fatherq's Avatar
      fatherq -
      not gonna buy an iphone if it's not jailbreakable
    1. WmSDubStep's Avatar
      WmSDubStep -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Hmm what do you want to do with an orange?
      stick it up your *** ofc...
      eat it, what else./
      But would you like if you buy food and because of the law you can't do what you like with it?
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by WmSDubStep View Post
      stick it up your *** ofc...
      eat it, what else./
      But would you like if you buy food and because of the law you can't do what you like with it?
      Just wondering why you used that as an example lol. I guess if you bought strawberries and were told you can't use them for a smoothie that wouldn't be cool
    1. WmSDubStep's Avatar
      WmSDubStep -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Just wondering why you used that as an example lol. I guess if you bought strawberries and were told you can't use them for a smoothie that wouldn't be cool
      i dunno i just love to be random .
    1. creasy425's Avatar
      creasy425 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WmSDubStep View Post
      stick it up your *** ofc...
      eat it, what else./
      hey what you do with your fruit in the privacy of your own home is no ones business...
    1. WmSDubStep's Avatar
      WmSDubStep -
      Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
      hey what you do with your fruit in the privacy of your own home is no ones business...
      called sarcasm, yahoo it plz.
    1. creasy425's Avatar
      creasy425 -
      Quote Originally Posted by WmSDubStep View Post
      called sarcasm, yahoo it plz.
      Called a joke. Relax guy.
    1. CynicalDriver's Avatar
      CynicalDriver -
      You know what?

      I'm good with this. I haven't been able to make much headway on MW2 because of all the hackers.

      You log in, and instantly get transported to a world where gravity is super-low, you move as fast as sound, and they all have aim-bots.

      It was fun/funny the first three or four times, but then it started to happen EVERY time I went online. My PS3 is at home, and I'm only there one week a month most times. I don't have the time to sit and play for days on end, leveling to get all the powerups and stuff.

      At rank 35, I have hit a wall, because I can't get more than 5 or 6 kills per match. The hackers are there, and you know they're hackers...

      One guy had two riot shields on, only way to hurt him was shooting his feet! He thought he was invincible, until I aimed low and got him. He was screaming bloody murder cause I beat his hack! He got 20 kills and only died once. BS!

      Ban the hackers, it will make the games fun again.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. creasy425's Avatar
      creasy425 -
      Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
      You know what?

      I'm good with this. I haven't been able to make much headway on MW2 because of all the hackers.

      You log in, and instantly get transported to a world where gravity is super-low, you move as fast as sound, and they all have aim-bots.

      It was fun/funny the first three or four times, but then it started to happen EVERY time I went online. My PS3 is at home, and I'm only there one week a month most times. I don't have the time to sit and play for days on end, leveling to get all the powerups and stuff.

      At rank 35, I have hit a wall, because I can't get more than 5 or 6 kills per match. The hackers are there, and you know they're hackers...

      One guy had two riot shields on, only way to hurt him was shooting his feet! He thought he was invincible, until I aimed low and got him. He was screaming bloody murder cause I beat his hack! He got 20 kills and only died once. BS!

      Ban the hackers, it will make the games fun again.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      I can't stand Sony. But blame the devs for the hackers not Sony. Activation/zombie IW refuses to do anything about them. hackers have single handedly ruined the MW franchise. I know halo is a love/hate game, but at least bungie SHUT DOWN the hackers.