• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Pod2g: p0sixspwn Burns Valuable Exploit that Could Have Been Used for Future Jailbreaks


    While many will be happy to hear about the newly-released p0sixspwn iOS 6.1.3, iOS 6.1.4, and iOS 6.1.5 untethered jailbreak by iOS hackers iH8sn0w and Winocm, it would appear that the release is somewhat of a disappointment for pod2g, one of the well-known iOS hackers behind the evad3rs iOS hacker team that released the untethered iOS 7.0-iOS 7.0.4 jailbreak known as evasi0n7.

    According to pod2g, p0sixspwn appears to use up a valuable root exploit that pod2g claims could have been used in future versions of iOS. It's also noted that it was an exploit found by comex.

    iOS hacker pimskeks also notes that iH8sn0w and Winocm had at least two other exploits that could have been used instead of this one:



    With less exploits available for future jailbreaks on future versions of iOS, this means that hackers will have to work harder to make up for lost exploits by finding more. This means that more time will be required, and this contributes to the long wait times for users in the jailbreak community.

    There doesn't appear to be any official response from iH8sn0w or Winocm just yet.

    Sources: pod2g
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Pod2g: p0sixspwn Burns Valuable Exploit that Could Have Been Used for Future Jailbreaks started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 106 Comments
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Where did you read they 'denounced' it? And where did you read they had to give back money?

      All they did was take it out of the 1.0.1 package. Chinese users still TOTALLY have access in 1.0.0.
      From evasi0n.com/l2.html:
      We have refused all monies from Taig
      There have been a lot of rumors listing various amounts we’ve been paid. We have received no monies from any group, including Taig. We will not be accepting any money. Our donations are being given to Public Knowledge, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure to help protect jailbreaking as your legal right.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      From Letter to the Community:
      We have refused all monies from Taig
      There have been a lot of rumors listing various amounts we’ve been paid. We have received no monies from any group, including Taig. We will not be accepting any money. Our donations are being given to Public Knowledge, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure to help protect jailbreaking as your legal right.
      Uh.. yea sure.... LOL!!!. The things we will believe..

      EDITED... My views on this moderated a little after reading evad3rs statement on Twitter from recently. Read ahead before flaming me for this post..
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Uh.. yea sure.... LOL!!!. The things we will believe..
      I guess it doesn't make sense why they would tell you to donate to them so they can donate to someone else. At first I thought it was great that they make money off this. Now I'm kind of against donating to them if they're going to lie to us.

      Even if they were trying to make it so obvious that it's a joke I might consider it, but they really shouldn't take money from TaiG.

      I sure miss the days where they would either take donations for themselves openly or not take them at all. Plus one time they even had a video of Saurik demoing the updated Cydia before the jailbreak came out.
    1. Alluziion's Avatar
      Alluziion -
      Quote Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
      Too damn much ego all around leads to lack of communication and problems like this.
      I agree.

      I love what all the iOS hackers are providing for the community but it seems that their ego's are beginning to get the better of them and rather than working together, they are beginning to compete - this can be both beneficial and detrimental to the jailbreak community. However, in order for them to compete, they would have to provide their own resources without relying on other hackers as they are going to be less likely to share their exploits and what happens if Saurik stops working with some of them? No up-to-date substrate? Time will tell.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      I guess it doesn't make sense why they would tell you to donate to them so they can donate to someone else. At first I thought it was great that they make money off this. Now I'm kind of against donating to them if they're going to lie to us.
      Well.. I just read their whole statement. You only posted a portion. I tend to be the kind of guy that 'give the benefit of the doubt'. It seems like a sincere letter. And the foundations they're donating to seems like a good move. They have not 'donated their income' in the past. Donations have gone straight to them as well they should in my view. And what's more likely happened here is that they DID realize this was a fiasco... But I doubt they 'gave their check back' to the TaiG'.. More likely they sent that money on to their foundations to keep jailbreaking legal as a good PR move for the community-- and one I would applaud. It seem they're trying to do the right thing - so from here on I'll extend them some slack. But 'businesses' lie to us all the time, Zok. Sure you know that. All of those in positions of power do. In this case - I think they're trying to make amends for a very bad business move they tried.

      So again... let me cut them some slack.. My 'cynicism' is being put to rest until I find out otherwise. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Zok. They should have posted it on the evasi0n website. They need to realize that a some of the jailbreak community doesn't do Twitter daily.
    1. GUNNY29's Avatar
      GUNNY29 -
      Bugs dead in 7.1. So what ih8sn0w and team done was use that one instead of the others pod2g is saying they should of used lol meaning those are still avaliable for future jb's if needed and not patched.
    1. Simon's Avatar
      Simon -
      Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
      Bugs dead in 7.1. So what ih8sn0w and team done was use that one instead of the others pod2g is saying they should of used lol meaning those are still avaliable for future jb's if needed and not patched.
      So pod2g was mistaken then it seems?
    1. GUNNY29's Avatar
      GUNNY29 -
      Correction


    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      And what's more likely happened here is that they DID realize this was a fiasco... But I doubt they 'gave their check back' to the TaiG'.. More likely they sent that money on to their foundations to keep jailbreaking legal as a good PR move for the community-- and one I would applaud. It seem they're trying to do the right thing - so from here on I'll extend them some slack. But 'businesses' lie to us all the time, Zok. Sure you know that. All of those in positions of power do. In this case - I think they're trying to make amends for a very bad business move they tried.
      I doubt anyone could get away with spending "hundreds of thousands of dollars" from a void agreement just as payback. But I guess it's possible that they're telling people to donate to them to get more donors and distribute the money among the foundations in proportions as they see fit. What I was really concerned about was people basically pretending to be a charity to make a large sum of money. I know that happens too, but it's worse than a business lying about a few things here and there.
    1. rasputin007's Avatar
      rasputin007 -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Ras, I can't agree with you here.. There is no such thing as endless restores to 6.1.3.. since it's no longer being signed by Apple. Even SHSH blobs won't help you from what I understand. Is there something I'm missing in your point? If you're referring to a tethered JB possible because of the bootrom exploit in 3GS and 4.. well that's pretty useless to most. And why would you ever want to restore to ios6 on those devices when iOS 4 and 5 were so much more stable and fast on them with loads of tweaks available.

      Correct my thinking here..if I'm missing something.
      It is endless restore for 3GS and iPod 4, because they have no iOS7 firmware, therefore iOS 6.1.3 is the last firmware for those devices.
      Even though iOS 6.1.3 is no longer signed by Apple for iPhone 4 and above, it still means if you connect a 3GS to iTunes and do a full restore it will be iOS 6.1.3, now and in 3 years.
      If I connect my 2G today to iTunes and do a full restore it puts on the stock 3.1.3 firmware, still today even though it has not been signed for iPhone 3 and above for years.
      You see, the last available firmware upgrade will be always be signed, and it is 6.1.3 for iPod 4 and 3GS.
    1. MrLingerLonger's Avatar
      MrLingerLonger -
      I don't believe they did not take any money from Chinese. Of course they will say that. Ur a fool if u actually believe that
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      If this is true what a colossal waste for old equipment!
    1. towboattrash34's Avatar
      towboattrash34 -
      My self I don't want to hear pod2g's and other whining. It's got to the point where there is no communication between them. It's all Ego's I'm/My group is better than you/yours. This last fiasco with them and Jay and china. Winocm asked for help with this when he first did it, but everyone else left him alone. A little co-operation would of went along ways.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      I doubt anyone could get away with spending "hundreds of thousands of dollars" from a void agreement just as payback. But I guess it's possible that they're telling people to donate to them to get more donors and distribute the money among the foundations in proportions as they see fit. What I was really concerned about was people basically pretending to be a charity to make a large sum of money. I know that happens too, but it's worse than a business lying about a few things here and there.
      Yes, Zok. We agree more than we disagree. I still don't believe we're being told the 'whole' story. Nothing's more precious to our 'rock star' devs than their image -- especially of altruism. They 'deserve' to be paid a LOT of money for what they do for us (and do make boatloads from donations in the past). And when an opportunity like the TaiG thing arrives, once in a blue moon, I believe they would take it- as any of us would who are good capitalists. BUT they can not bear a 'stain' on their 'altruistic' image. So I believe they 'could' be tempted to 'protect it', at all costs, even with bold-faced lying. Look what the American President did with the 'you can keep your insurance if you like it' rouse... LOL!! - when he knew all along that was a lie. Don't get me started...

      Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
      It is endless restore for 3GS and iPod 4, because they have no iOS7 firmware, therefore iOS 6.1.3 is the last firmware for those devices.
      Even though iOS 6.1.3 is no longer signed by Apple for iPhone 4 and above, it still means if you connect a 3GS to iTunes and do a full restore it will be iOS 6.1.3, now and in 3 years.
      If I connect my 2G today to iTunes and do a full restore it puts on the stock 3.1.3 firmware, still today even though it has not been signed for iPhone 3 and above for years.
      You see, the last available firmware upgrade will be always be signed, and it is 6.1.3 for iPod 4 and 3GS.
      AH.. THANKS for the education, Ras. OF COURSE - the last firmware in a given line of hardware would perpetually be signed by Apple. Of course.. Silly me. But still - not many are still using 3GS'. Maybe iPod4s.. but what they heck does a jailbreak of an iPod really get you.... right?
    1. GUNNY29's Avatar
      GUNNY29 -
      Everything it does on an iPhone obviously
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
      Everything it does on an iPhone obviously
      ?? Not true. It has no typing function. An iPod is not an iPhone nor is it an iPod Touch. Now was Ras talking about an iPod Touch 4thGen? usually the term 'xth Gen' refers to iPods and iPads.
    1. GUNNY29's Avatar
      GUNNY29 -
      He said ipod4 meaning iPod touch 4thgen. That much was obvious surely
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
      He said ipod4 meaning iPod touch 4thgen. That much was obvious surely
      Not to me - since there's an iPod (non-touch) 4th gen too. Thanks for the correction, Gunny. Now I'm in the know..
    1. Netherscourge's Avatar
      Netherscourge -
      Is there some reason 6.1 needed a Jailbreak to begin with?

      Are certain iOS devices stuck on 6.1? If not, why would anyone not be using the latest-greatest jailbreakable iOS? (aka 7.0.4)?
    1. GUNNY29's Avatar
      GUNNY29 -
      It wasn't for 6.1 it was for 6.1.3 to 6.1.5 loads of people have been stuck on these firmwares without a jb some foolishly updated (their own fault) some people's got the phone with those phones on.

      I was jb on 6.1 from beginning of this year my phone got stolen a few months back and my new one came on 6.1.4.

      Why am I not on ios7 you ask?
      Main reason is because its **** ugly second is the themeing capabilities on ios7 jb are greatly reduced.