• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple's New Mac Pro Deemed More Valuable than its Price Tag


    The folks over at AppleInsider assembled a comparable Windows-based system to see just how much value Apple squeezed into its new desktop. For the exercise, they targeted the new Mac Pro’s most tricked-out arrangement, which is the $9,599 configuration.

    Their PC build consisted of a 2.6 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5 with 30 MB of L3 cache, 54 GB of 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, 1 TB PCIe-based flash storage and Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6 GB of GDDR5 VRAM each. They chose, Lian Li’s stalwart PC-7B, which was one of the highest-rated ATX-compatible cases available as well. Since the chassis doesn’t come bundled with a power supply, they added Corsair’s CMPSU-650TX 650-watt CrossFire-ready unit for another $89.99.

    Driving the displays were two AMD FirePro W9000 GPUs at $3,399.99 each. The graphics match the Mac Pro’s cards on spec with 6 GB of GDDR5 memory and 264 Gbps memory bandwidth, though it is difficult to say exactly how well they mimic Apple’s heavily customized units. The CPU is a duplicate of the Mac Pro and the processor’s 12 22-nanometer processing cores which cost $2,749.99.

    Storage is an area that Apple seems to have a leg-up as the handful of PCI Express-based drives on the market usually go for extremely high prices. OCZ’s RevoDrive 3 X2 series is the current model that would be comparable and would set one back $3,000 if they could actually find it for sale. Kingston Technology ended up being the choice for the 16 GB RAM modules, priced at $209.99 each. To get the RAM up to the 64 gigabytes found in the Mac Pro, the configuration would cost $839.96.

    Last but not least, to tie everything together, the motherboard needs to support everything, so the folks ended up going with Asus’ Z9PE-D8 board, which brings USB 3.0 and FireWire connectivity for $539.99. The cost of adding a Windows 8.1 Pro license was also part of the build, added for $199.99, since an operating system is a necessity.

    Without considering shipping costs, assembly time, or additional complications that may arise from cooling the machine, it would cost roughly $14,300 to replicate Apple’s new Mac Pro spec-for-spec. For the substantial premium, you lose several features found in the Mac Pro, notably Thunderbolt activity, while also increasing the size of the computer by roughly 300%. Users would also not have any option to get the addition of something similar to Apple’s AppleCare warranty service.

    Overall, it seems that the new Mac Pro’s starting sticker price showcases the exceptional value of everything it has to offer.

    Source: AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple's New Mac Pro Deemed More Valuable than its Price Tag started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. bisayakid07's Avatar
      bisayakid07 -
      Now you have given me an idea to start saving for this
    1. Eagleye's Avatar
      Eagleye -
      So much want!
    1. ChicagoV's Avatar
      ChicagoV -
      So what you're saying is... those "all things Apple are stupid and for kids"-types that swear they can build a comparable PC for $800 or so are misinformed? *chuckle*
    1. WHUDS's Avatar
      WHUDS -
      After reading the actual article I realized one thing… The comparison was strangely over priced, real world pricing with similar pc components would show about equal cost mac and pc. Just another fanism article
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      After reading the actual article I realized one thing… The comparison was strangely over priced, real world pricing with similar pc components would show about equal cost mac and pc. Just another fanism article
      You are WAAAY off on that assessment.. The article was darn near spot on in my very best internet component pricing matchup. Would love to see your list of figures.. and sources to back the prices.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Santa didn't leave on under the tree..I no longer believe :]
    1. Striknine's Avatar
      Striknine -
      Should have compared a model that some people could afford. How many people do you know that drop 10k on a computer. I don't know of any. I do know you can buy a PC for cheaper than you can get an Apple for same specs wise. Plenty of examples on the web, but some people are fans and need to justify their thinking.
    1. BrainSmashR's Avatar
      BrainSmashR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
      Should have compared a model that some people could afford. How many people do you know that drop 10k on a computer. I don't know of any. I do know you can buy a PC for cheaper than you can get an Apple for same specs wise. Plenty of examples on the web, but some people are fans and need to justify their thinking.
      lol...because you need 12 cores, 54 gigs of RAM and 2 top end graphics cards before the cost of the PC exceeds the cost of a Mac.

      I'm sporting a Dell XPS 8300 dual quad core with 8 gigs of RAM $1000 off the shelf at Best Buy....is there ANY off the shelf Mac that can compare for that price?
    1. WHUDS's Avatar
      WHUDS -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      You are WAAAY off on that assessment.. The article was darn near spot on in my very best internet component pricing matchup. Would love to see your list of figures.. and sources to back the prices.
      Well It just be a continued argument because many fans of apple will not accept that anything else can be as good for a lesser price. I on the other hand hate fanism and live in the real world where apple is just another greedy capitalistic company like the rest. No matter what, Yes I could build an awesome cheaper Windows machine I believe
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
      Well It just be a continued argument because many fans of apple will not accept that anything else can be as good for a lesser price. I on the other hand hate fanism and live in the real world where apple is just another greedy capitalistic company like the rest. No matter what, Yes I could build an awesome cheaper Windows machine I believe
      You said the PC prices are cheaper. What are they?