• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple TV gets Untethered Jailbreak with Greenpois0n RC6


    Greenpois0n has just been updated to RC6. This is the first version of Greenpois0n to be untethered on a second generation Apple TV. Pervious versions of Greenpois0n have been untethered on other iOS devices, but this is the first one that doesnít require you to have it connected to computer when you want to restart the device. You can safely put your Apple TV to sleep and know itíll still be jailbroken when you turn it on the next day.

    A nice addition to this version of Greenpois0n is that it loads NitoTV onto your Apple TV during the installation process. You no longer have to use the Terminal window to get it loaded onto your Apple TV anymore. Currently, this is about the only addition you can make to an Apple TV, at least until Apple decides to open an App Store for the Apple TV. Steve Jobs has hinted at the possibility of opening an App Store but only if and when the time is right.

    As always, proceed with caution when installing jailbreaks such as this. The current version of Greenpois0n RC6 is still considered to be in beta. There have been a few reports of people running into issues with Wi-Fi and booting. As Apple continues to develop the device, jailbreaks like Greenpois0n will mature and give us more choices as to how we use our Apple TVs. I canít wait to get more content streaming to that shinny little hockey puck sitting next to my TV.




    Source: GreenPois0n
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple TV gets Untethered Jailbreak with Greenpois0n RC6 started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 106 Comments
    1. LSZ33's Avatar
      LSZ33 -
      @gabrielmoreno, I own all the above devices & I must say you're completely wrong. I have a PS3 w/ a 320GB HDD upgrade & also stream from my iMac to it. The PS3 can't receive streams from a plex server so I have to use playback. It doesn't play half the $h!t the atV2 plays from PLEX. ATV2 w/ plex is perfect for a home theater. The only thing it's missing is Bluetooth support for a mouse & keyboard. Go do your homework before trolling!
    1. h2a's Avatar
      h2a -
      Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
      @gabrielmoreno, I own all the above devices & I must say you're completely wrong. I have a PS3 w/ a 320GB HDD upgrade & also stream from my iMac to it. The PS3 can't receive streams from a plex server so I have to use playback. It doesn't play half the $h!t the atV2 plays from PLEX. ATV2 w/ plex is perfect for a home theater. The only thing it's missing is Bluetooth support for a mouse & keyboard. Go do your homework before trolling!
      Don't need kbd and mouse with the iOS remote app.
    1. wmubronco's Avatar
      wmubronco -
      Got the GP jailbreak process to work correctly, pretty straight forward steps. holla!
    1. steveken's Avatar
      steveken -
      Well, got it re-jailbroke with the GP one. Looks good. Installed XBMC. Not really liking it as much as Plex, though. I can't seem to remember or figure out how to go in and add another directory to look at on it to make it look in the iTunes folder on my mini. It is real easy to do with Plex though. I will keep it on there though (Mainly cause I don't know how to remove it. Probably pretty easy once I look for it.) and see what I come up with.
    1. pickeledpeter's Avatar
      pickeledpeter -
      Quote Originally Posted by steveken View Post
      Well, got it re-jailbroke with the GP one. Looks good. Installed XBMC. Not really liking it as much as Plex, though. I can't seem to remember or figure out how to go in and add another directory to look at on it to make it look in the iTunes folder on my mini. It is real easy to do with Plex though. I will keep it on there though (Mainly cause I don't know how to remove it. Probably pretty easy once I look for it.) and see what I come up with.
      haha i installed xbmc also and now dont want/need it and am not sure how to delete as well.
    1. h2a's Avatar
      h2a -
      Quote Originally Posted by pickeledpeter View Post
      haha i installed xbmc also and now dont want/need it and am not sure how to delete as well.
      NitoTV > Install Software > highlight XMBC-ATV2 > Left button > Delete

      all off the top of my head. something like that though.
    1. javiert30's Avatar
      javiert30 -
      I'll wait for the ATV2 unlock...
    1. macimaster's Avatar
      macimaster -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
      Does anyone even own an AppleTV?
      Lol yes! It's awesome can stream bids from my mac iPad and iPhone to my tv in HD! as well as my music library when having a party which I can link to my base stations as well amazing best Xmas preset this year
    1. ev_ol's Avatar
      ev_ol -
      I think I'm a moron for not owning an ATV yet
    1. IPHONE USER's Avatar
      IPHONE USER -
      i own one and love it,
      use a 2trig hd on my network put my films and pic's on to it and play them on my ipad/iphone and my atv2, work's great with xmbc.
      i would recommend them,

      thanks to all involved for the new jb, worked first time and very easy.
      cheers.

      Quote Originally Posted by TreFlon0007 View Post
      This is awesome. I can't wait to do this to mine. The only thing I don't know how to do is what kind of cable do I need to attach it to my computer. Also where can I get one? Thanks
      i use a nokia mini usb lead, type: CA-101 FROM ANY PHONE SHOP OR EBAY ECT,

      Supprised that there has been no reference to the fact it runs from a networked hd ? So you dont need to run your mac or pc all the time.

      This was the main reason i got it, and it works perfectly,

      ps, love geo's vid to sony .

      Quote Originally Posted by pickeledpeter View Post
      haha i installed xbmc also and now dont want/need it and am not sure how to delete as well.
      plex cant run from my hard drive but xmbc can,
    1. yentrog31's Avatar
      yentrog31 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
      Does this mean you used GP on your aTV2 and did not lose WiFi?
      Did not lose wifi after GP jailbreak and had nitoTV installed.But to get any ext.'s for nito to work/show-up I had to reboot(under settings nito),that killed my wifi.So then I went to update nitoTV and that re-connected my wifi,and it installed my ext including custom settings.So now I have custom weather and slideshow backgrounds on mainscreen which is pretty cool.
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
      After all this time a jailbreak enables weather and RSS feeds... that's it?.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
      ATV Flash Black FTW!

      I have been messing around with GP for a couple days now. I had to jailbreak mine without using the power cord. GP crashed during jailbreak if I had the power connected. Worked fine without it. To enter DFU mode, hold MENU + Down Button for 7 secs and then let go for split second and switch to MENU + play/pause for about 5 seconds. Then start GP, after it finished I waited about a minute then clicked the complete button. When I hooked it up to the plasma it worked!
      I sure miss Pwnage Tool.
    1. mustard05's Avatar
      mustard05 -
      How do you get XBMC? Is it included in the download or do you use plex to get it?

      Also, with XBMC can you stream directly from a wifi external without the need for a computer?

      Sorry so many questions! I have never messed with my ATV2.

      Quote Originally Posted by IPHONE USER View Post
      i own one and love it,
      use a 2trig hd on my network put my films and pic's on to it and play them on my ipad/iphone and my atv2, work's great with xmbc.
      i would recommend them,

      thanks to all involved for the new jb, worked first time and very easy.
      cheers.



      i use a nokia mini usb lead, type: CA-101 FROM ANY PHONE SHOP OR EBAY ECT,

      Supprised that there has been no reference to the fact it runs from a networked hd ? So you dont need to run your mac or pc all the time.

      This was the main reason i got it, and it works perfectly,

      ps, love geo's vid to sony .



      plex cant run from my hard drive but xmbc can,
      Once Jail broken, how do you get XBMC?
    1. IPHONE USER's Avatar
      IPHONE USER -
      jb and it installs nito, go to settings and there you have more programs you can install including xbmc,
      i setup my network hd to my pc and mac then just went to settings in xbmc and set up the hd as a windows network (smb) alworked very easy,
      first class job from the jb team .
    1. roscoboy272's Avatar
      roscoboy272 -
      I want to JB my ATV, but don't know what is out there for it. I am hearing about XBMC, NITOTV, and PLEX, but could someone please explain what each one of these is, what they do, and why I want them/would use them on my ATV. Any info would be much appreciated.
    1. bignighttrain's Avatar
      bignighttrain -
      Is it an easy way to jailbreak my apple tv 2G been trying GP rc6 but can't get it into dfu mode tried like 40 times holding both play pause and menu button while following the on screen directions but still no dfu or jailbreak thanks for any help.
    1. h2a's Avatar
      h2a -
      Quote Originally Posted by roscoboy272 View Post
      I want to JB my ATV, but don't know what is out there for it. I am hearing about XBMC, NITOTV, and PLEX, but could someone please explain what each one of these is, what they do, and why I want them/would use them on my ATV. Any info would be much appreciated.
      XBMC - An alternate/additional media center interface. It runs on many different platforms, and finally, iOS, the operating system that powers the second generation AppleTV. XBMC, most importantly, unlocks the capability to connect to network hard drives and stream basically any video file format to your AppleTV. Additionally, it allows you to install and use other plugins and programs supported by XBMC.

      NitoTV - The software that lets you install and manage all of these customizations. Think really basic "Cydia" for AppleTV for now. It also puts RSS feeds and Weather in your menu.

      Plex - Allows you to stream media from your Mac with the Plex media server software installed on your computer. It serves up whatever folders you tell it to watch right to your AppleTV. I'm not sure if it currently supports non-Apple formats outside of the typical Quicktime formats or not because I haven't used it.

      Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
      Is it an easy way to jailbreak my apple tv 2G been trying GP rc6 but can't get it into dfu mode tried like 40 times holding both play pause and menu button while following the on screen directions but still no dfu or jailbreak thanks for any help.
      Here's how I did it--
      Disconnect everything from the AppleTV.
      Open GP and tell it "Yes"
      Connect AppleTV to your computer by USB
      Press and hold Menu + "Down arrow" and count to 7
      Let go of the remote for a split second and then immediately press and hold Menu + Play/Pause
      Count to 5
      Then press Jailbreak.

      See if that helps.
    1. Sorenh's Avatar
      Sorenh -
      Firecore does offer software but the XBMC included with Nito is all you need. Get the fastpass tv plug in and you can watch 100's of current movies. Easier then torrent/download/convert. These are AVI's it's playing back.
      FYI DO A CLEAN INSTALL...RESTORE...before you use GP6. There is a Nito fix (plug in) the WiFi. when it wakes up. It does work for me.

      Do a restore first!
      Good luck
    1. romeoz's Avatar
      romeoz -
      where do you get the fastpass tv plug in at?
    1. Sorenh's Avatar
      Sorenh -
      This should help..
      Best Video Add-ons for XBMC | FireCore
      Have fun