• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple May Produce 50-inch Connected Television Sets Beginning Next Year



    A provocative report from investment firm Piper Jaffray suggests that Apple may finally be gearing up to introduce an entirely new product as soon as 2012. According to the suspicions of Piper and prominent analyst Gene Munster, Apple will likely use its recent $3.9 billion in component investments to develop large screen displays, probably for a connected Apple television set of at least 50-inches.

    "While Apple's commitment to the living room remains a 'hobby,' we continue to believe the company will enter the TV market with a full focus, as an all-in-one Apple television could move the needle when connected TVs proliferate," Munster says, adding that Apple is believed to be eager to jump into the red hot flat panel television market. As coverage from Barron's added, Apple's TV would more than likely also be a window into a “cloud-based version of iTunes."

    Muster suggests that as many as 220 million flat-screen TVs will be sold next year alone, half of which are likely to be Internet-connected. If Munster's theories prove correct, Apple has a good shot at selling better than one million units in 2012, a development that would bolster the company's revenue by some $2.5 billion. Long term, Munster believes Apple's growing appetite for television sets will result in $4 billion in added revenue by 2013, and $6 billion by 2014.

    Barron's
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple May Produce 50-inch Connected Television Sets Beginning Next Year started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 41 Comments
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Oh give me a ******* break. You know its going to be expensive as hell with a hefty apple tax on it and a horrible interface. Lemme guess, you're remote will have 4 buttons on it.

      And who the **** pays 1199 for a 40" TV? I got my 36" for my bedroom for $349.
    1. Captinsmooth's Avatar
      Captinsmooth -
      It is funny that people are gawking about this assumed price on a non existing tv. But, anyways I would have to think 2000$ would be a low ball number if apple made a tv. I mean look at how much they charge for an external display. Plus If they did it, I would imagine it would be top of the line materials, and probably a OLED screen just to top it off. I would bet 2k would get you 32 inch with prices ranging up to 6k for larger sets.

      Those of you that have commented thinking 2000K will get you the best tv on the market, are either to young or to poor to realize there is a whole other world of very high end electronics out there that you won't see in walmart or best buy.

      I can see it already you will have a choice of two colors, black or silver brushed aluminum. They will be a tv with apple tv built in, they will come with a rather simplistic remote because the intent will be to use your idevice to control it and stream to.
    1. Lombardo Joe's Avatar
      Lombardo Joe -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      And who the **** pays 1199 for a 40" TV? I got my 36" for my bedroom for $349.
      I dunno... Apple isn't really one to chince out on a hellofa display setup...
    1. sziklassy's Avatar
      sziklassy -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Not gonna happen...

      If it did, who would pay for an over priced TV that would only have content Apple allows? I wonder if it displays full HD, unlike their already revolutionary service.
      ($2000 for a 50" btw? Surely thats 3D too)
      I HIGHLY doubt they would resrict the content you could watch. They don't even do that on their current computers or monitors. You can plug anything (with the proper port) into them just fine. They may restrict the content available on this Apple TV stream deal, but likely that is it.

      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post

      And who the **** pays 1199 for a 40" TV? I got my 36" for my bedroom for $349.
      And your $349 TV is a POS compared to the more expensive ones most likely. Consider things like refresh rate, contrast ratio, etc. when buying a tv. Not just inches per dollar my friend... Furthermore, there is a sweetspot in display pricing as every inch is an exponential growth in size. That sweet spot, as it turns out, is right around the 36" range. Getting bigger after that gets more and more costly. At the end of the day, if you are happy with it, GREAT! There are a ton of people who I am sure would not be happy with the quality, simply based on how cheap it was (unless of course you got it as an accomodations package or some such deal where you basically pay an at manufacturers cost).

      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      50" Samsung LED 1080p 120Hz web enabled, MiWi....$1499. Erm, no. No I don't see where the other $500 is coming from, especially if it'll be next year at which time the Samsung will be closer to $1000.
      It might be worth noting that these "LED" tvs you are speaking of are actually LED backlit lcd screens, not true LED displays. Not that I disagree with the rest of the points you make, but a 50" TRUE LED tv is going to cost quite a few bucks more than $2,000.
    1. Uruuki's Avatar
      Uruuki -
      Sweet...When i first heard of AppleTV, i was a little disappointed to find out it was a glorified DVR. i think it would be pretty cool to have a 50" touch screen TV running on iOS.
    1. anekin007's Avatar
      anekin007 -
      who writes these stupid rumors? lol. 50" panels are plasma. lcd are 55". mass producing a new size panel is going to be expensive. most of the major brand name get all their panels from the same factory. many people dont upgrade tv every year there is a refresh of a new model. tv models drop prices by hundreds or thousands. That is something apple will never do. you be lucky to get $100 price drop. enjoy your apple 720p content through your 50+ screen. lol
    1. akafred's Avatar
      akafred -
      apple will sell this lcd for 2x what a comparable spec'd lcd would cost, they do it with every product they have.. i will stick with my 60" lg plasma thanks..

      also what would this lcd offer that a regular lcd and apple TV box wouldn't?
    1. gameviper's Avatar
      gameviper -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      Idk what you're smokin, but plasma is 100% sub-par burn-in having poopoo. There's a reason 50" 1080p 120Hz plasmas are selling for $600. Because at any size, they blow. Hard.
      Um, I sell tv's everyday. its my job. i dont remember plasma tv's being 120hz.. please do some research before you try to blast someone!

      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      I mean, has this guy been under a rock for the last 18 months?
      and apparently you have because you cant tell the difference between a plasma's 600hz refresh rate and a led/lcd's 60/120/240hz. and actually plasma has the smoothest motion pictures and the deepest blacks. id like to see any led with local dimming make a darker black than a plasma can.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
      It is funny that people are gawking about this assumed price on a non existing tv. But, anyways I would have to think 2000$ would be a low ball number if apple made a tv. I mean look at how much they charge for an external display. Plus If they did it, I would imagine it would be top of the line materials, and probably a OLED screen just to top it off. I would bet 2k would get you 32 inch with prices ranging up to 6k for larger sets.

      Those of you that have commented thinking 2000K will get you the best tv on the market, are either to young or to poor to realize there is a whole other world of very high end electronics out there that you won't see in walmart or best buy.

      I can see it already you will have a choice of two colors, black or silver brushed aluminum. They will be a tv with apple tv built in, they will come with a rather simplistic remote because the intent will be to use your idevice to control it and stream to.
      Yeah cos Apple are known for using OLED.

      $2000 can get you an extremely high end TV btw.

      Top of the line materials? Maybe the casing for the display, but the actual display would simply come from Samsung or LG like past/current Cinema & iMac displays. It would the same as wrapping a normal priced samsung 32" in aluminium or other "top of the line" materials and adding an extra zero to the price tag.

      I can see it now, $2000 for AppleTV, then the next year they bring out AppleTV2 with...wait for it....the feature of channel 2. Oh and no model will support HDMI.
    1. akafred's Avatar
      akafred -
      hdmi will come on the 3rd gen model LOL
    1. creasy425's Avatar
      creasy425 -
      @gameviper. I'll take a not so dark black on my LCD over having the HUD from my fps burn into the screen on a plasma. Thanks.
    1. pegitt's Avatar
      pegitt -
      Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
      unless they made a 55" LED, and it was thinner than a half an inch... i wouldnt buy one...

      and it doesn't look like you can mount it on a wall..
      First thing even if it was thinner than 1/2" the cables going to it would be just as thick if not thicker so bit of a pointless comment.

      Second it's just a stock photo with ATV photo shopped on to the screen and not even a prototype so saying you can't wall mount it again another pointless comment.

      Every one who is writing it off before it's even been made let alone confirmed by Apple, and as for the price apple is a premium brand and it's prices reflect just that a premium, if people think it wont sell then they need to look at the TV market a little harder as bang and olufsen seam to be doing well for them selfs selling 46" LCD's for 7.5K a pop!
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
      @gameviper. I'll take a not so dark black on my LCD over having the HUD from my fps burn into the screen on a plasma. Thanks.
      Burn in on Plasmas is as big a problem as it is on LCDs nowadays
    1. bruinsrme's Avatar
      bruinsrme -
      Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
      I would take the option on the left side every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
      Agree.
      All I want is for my tv to be a display.
      I still need room for the 360 and ps3. The DVR is a must to record hockey, football and other shows.
      I didn't spend thousands on speakers to listen to them with tv quality sounds.
      I would find it hard to believe apple would provide the sound range/depth of a quality cut bluray.

      For some it will be perfect, others they will buy it because it comes in an apple box.
      Apple surely won't short itself on the msrp.
      However this might be good in that it could drive down the prices on other displays
    1. SpikeyDan's Avatar
      SpikeyDan -
      Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
      First thing even if it was thinner than 1/2" the cables going to it would be just as thick if not thicker so bit of a pointless comment.

      Second it's just a stock photo with ATV photo shopped on to the screen and not even a prototype so saying you can't wall mount it again another pointless comment.

      Every one who is writing it off before it's even been made let alone confirmed by Apple, and as for the price apple is a premium brand and it's prices reflect just that a premium, if people think it wont sell then they need to look at the TV market a little harder as bang and olufsen seam to be doing well for them selfs selling 46" LCD's for 7.5K a pop!
      Ok good point Esp the 1st comment!! cables 1/2" thick? Take another look at your ruler. Unless it's running on 230v with a 16amp supply your very very wrong. - edit my mistake. Even so you would need to have it hard wired in costing ££££ and then you move house or rearrange your place for that new sofa you brought.

      And as for tv's I think I'll stick with my drop down cinema screen with hi-def projector. All costing a sweet 3k and about 1mm thin
    1. chubbypickle's Avatar
      chubbypickle -
      If it has an accelerometer, gyroscope and gps I'd buy it. Otherwise it's more than I'd be willing to spend on a tv, regardless of the features. But I'm quite certain they would have no problem selling a television at that price point concidering that's what their desktops go for. And in a year or so from now who knows what features this may have. Probably gaming capabilities with your iPhone or iPad as a contoler, airplay in 7.1 surround and just an overall cleaner setup without the clutter of wires and remotes. Not that it's a huge deal for most but certainly a selling point for those who can afford it.
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Quote Originally Posted by chubbypickle View Post
      If it has an accelerometer, gyroscope and gps I'd buy it. Otherwise it's more than I'd be willing to spend on a tv, regardless of the features. But I'm quite certain they would have no problem selling a television at that price point concidering that's what their desktops go for. And in a year or so from now who knows what features this may have. Probably gaming capabilities with your iPhone or iPad as a contoler, airplay in 7.1 surround and just an overall cleaner setup without the clutter of wires and remotes. Not that it's a huge deal for most but certainly a selling point for those who can afford it.
      accelerometer, gyroscope and gps?

      Do you normally pick up your TV, swing it from side to side and tilt it up and down?
      What good are any of those technologies for something that is in a fixed position unless you're moving house or moving a TV to another room.
      You still would need 7 external speakers and a subwoofer for 7.1 surround sound.

      Great first post though
    1. gameviper's Avatar
      gameviper -
      Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
      @gameviper. I'll take a not so dark black on my LCD over having the HUD from my fps burn into the screen on a plasma. Thanks.
      once again, you're intelligent. Burn-in is not quite the issue it used to be on older models. So please go do research, you're making yourself look retarded.....

      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Burn in on Plasmas is as big a problem as it is on LCDs nowadays
      thank god some people in these forums are tv smart...
    1. chubbypickle's Avatar
      chubbypickle -
      Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
      Do you normally pick up your TV, swing it from side to side and tilt it up and down?
      What good are any of those technologies for something that is in a fixed position unless you're moving house or moving a TV to another room.
      You still would need 7 external speakers and a subwoofer for 7.1 surround sound.
      My first sentence was just a little bit of satire although a 50" iPad would be wild for design and architectural applications.

      As for the 7.1 surround I was actually thinking about external wireless "airplay" speakers as opposed to running wires throughout my living room. Again, not a deal breaker but would definitely be a cleaner install, as long as sound quality does not suffer.
    1. pegitt's Avatar
      pegitt -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyDan View Post
      Ok good point Esp the 1st comment!! cables 1/2" thick? Take another look at your ruler. Unless it's running on 230v with a 16amp supply your very very wrong. - edit my mistake. Even so you would need to have it hard wired in costing ££££ and then you move house or rearrange your place for that new sofa you brought.

      And as for tv's I think I'll stick with my drop down cinema screen with hi-def projector. All costing a sweet 3k and about 1mm thin
      Re-read my post i said Cables yep with an "S" as in more than one i.e. power and aerial =1/2" thick.

      OK so i have just taken my ruler out and sad as it sounds measured the cable going to my MB Pro power supply (240v) and yep funny enough it's 1/4" thick and my aerial cable yep you guessed it 1/4" thick now in my book 1/4+1/4=1/2.

      16amp hard wire would cost ££££ not sure why you think that a 16amp plug cost all of £5 and the socket the same, as for the wire the standard house wiring 2.5mm is rated to 24amp so that should be just fine and if you want to be extra sure you could use 4mm rated to 32amp or 6mm at 40 amp.