• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Netgear Boss Blasts Apple Chief Steve Jobs


    So much for having compassion for Apple chief Steve Jobs during his latest medical leave of absence. On Monday, Netgear CEO Patrick Lo went on a verbal rampage against Apple and its founding father Steve Jobs. Blasting the company and Jobs over their corporate atmosphere of secrecy inside an already tightly closed business model, Lo did not mince words as he predicted Apple's ultimate demise.

    According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Lo was speaking at a luncheon in Sydney, Australia when his rant began - a tirade that hailed the eventual failure of Apple because of its closed platform. "Ultimately a closed system just can't go that far," Lo suggested. "If they continue to close it and let Android continue to creep up then it's pretty difficult as I see it." Lo, however, didn't just spout off with examples of his theory. Referencing Betamax and VHS, in one instance, Lo's speech was teeming with examples of how open platforms commonly prevail over their closed counterparts. The Netgear chief says Apple has to "find a way to open up iTunes without giving too much away on their revenue generation model." Lo says Steve Jobs "wants to suffocate the distribution so even though he doesn't own the content he could basically demand a ransom."

    Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away, then Apple will have to make a strategic decision on whether to open up the platform.
    In particular, the comment from Lo referencing the prospect of Jobs "going away" has been widely criticized given Jobs' current medical leave. In April 2009, Jobs underwent a liver transplant. At the time, his prognosis was "excellent." But earlier this month, just one and a half years after Jobs returned from his liver transplant, Apple announced Jobs' latest medical leave, raising questions about the Apple boss and just how healthy he really is - or isn't. Lo, however, didn't express much personal concern for Steve Jobs. And although Lo never mentioned Jobs' health, he did mention Jobs' ego. "What's the reason for him to trash Flash?" Lo asked. "There's no reason other than ego." Lo was also certain to mention that he's never had an opportunity to voice his concerns directly to Apple's CEO. "Steve Jobs doesn't give me a minute," Lo stated.

    Sydney Morning Herald
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Netgear Boss Blasts Apple Chief Steve Jobs started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 110 Comments
    1. iPhoenix3g's Avatar
      iPhoenix3g -
      Hmm jealous perhaps? On the other hand my netgear router was free .. lol
    1. MLGKorno's Avatar
      MLGKorno -
      **** you, Patrick Lo.

      Go change your last name to "Low".

      /end
    1. awesomeSlayer's Avatar
      awesomeSlayer -
      Patrick needs a chill pill.
    1. Kapowman's Avatar
      Kapowman -
      I would like to see HIM do better? what does he think he's doing? does he think he's going to be better than Jobs and Apple? i dont think so. Apple will go on, and his company will fail as it does today
    1. brab's Avatar
      brab -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      I've yet to see any Android OS apps/capabilities out do the Apple iOS...have you???
      Please do explain what are these amazing capabilities of Apple iOS that Android doesn't have.
      Can't wait to hear them!

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Apple's OS you can literally do anything you want after jailbreaking it, much more so than Android will be capable of, ever.
      Same goes here, please explain further...I love these one liner statements with no arguments behind them.
      Without that it's nothing more than just personal opinionated puffs and rants.

      Secondly you mentioned one crucial thing...Apple iOS is closed junk without jailbraking (you can't even change a damn theme without it for ****s sakes)...that's why after 3 years of using it I switched (and trust me I will NEVER go back)...because I just got sick of praying how long will it take some1 to jailbreak the firmware before I can upgrade (which you can count on being longer and longer as the time goes by).
      Additionally to that I hate being forced to upgrade every 2 years (even though I do), just because someone else decided that my phone is obsolete now.

      So I do have extensive experience with both, and am not just a fanboy.
      With Android at least once you do r00t, Boot S-Off and Radio S-Off you are set for life and you never have to pray again.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      I don't get it. Why does every news thread turn into Android v. iOS? Why are Android supremacists even here?

      Idk why I said "Android supremacists" just improvising.
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      I'm sure steve has already thought well ahead and has chosen his successor and is grooming him/her to take over. Apple may not be the same without sj and although we wish him all the best, a speedy recovery, and a long life, we all know he will leave apple in good, capable, and responsible hands.
    1. KevJ's Avatar
      KevJ -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      They will never outsell Apple's hardware, they will not get anywhere even if something happens to Steve Jobs.
      Um, Android is already outselling Apple.
    1. wolverinemarky's Avatar
      wolverinemarky -
      Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
      sooo i'll state this as simply as possible for you's guys.
      AAPL - $339.75/share
      NTGR - $34.73/share

      closed business model this netgear!! p.s. - i own linksys/cisco products (TYVM!)
      lol never owned a netgear product before i stick with linksys/cisco and looking at those stock prices yea Lo i wouldnt waste my time on you either lol
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      Quote Originally Posted by KevJ View Post
      Um, Android is already outselling Apple.
      Android has been out as long as the iPhone has. Remember the tmobile g1? And now android has just started to outsell within the past year or so. Keep in mind android had to be released on all 4 carriers to outsell apple which until recently has only been on 1.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Are routers supposed to have to be restarted every month? Because my Netgear router does.
    1. Evilsaint's Avatar
      Evilsaint -
      Atleast my latest iPhone gets it's upgrades on time.
      On a side note linksys ftw :P
    1. gotanmp3's Avatar
      gotanmp3 -
      Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
      Keep in mind android had to be released on all 4 carriers to outsell apple which until recently has only been on 1.
      Virgin is releasing (though Target has started selling it early) a new Android phone for $150, with a $25 plan and no contract. This is where Android is going to really hit iOS hard: the budget market.

      Sure, right now Apple is sitting pretty. But I'm sure Motorola felt the same way about their RAZR and we all know how that ended.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Holy ****!!! How is this about how ANDROID is beating Apple in the market?! This is a Netgear vs. Apple thread, meaning nothing to do with Android.
    1. mmaboi21's Avatar
      mmaboi21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Agreed.
      I don't even know why there is a fight between closed and open. It doesn't make any sense to me.

      Apple's OS you can literally do anything you want after jailbreaking it, much more so than Android will be capable of, ever.

      All companies try to make phones with "superior" hardware, yet don't realize software is the key. And Apple's software always triumphs that Android trash.
      I mean seriously, how does a phone with 5 mp (iphone) have better pictures than the 8 mp droids etc etc? How does a phone with a slower processor have better multi touch capabilities (iphone) than any of the jerky/sluggish screens that all Android phones have? I could go on and on and on. Android will never beat Apple's "closed" software. They will never outsell Apple's hardware, they will not get anywhere even if something happens to Steve Jobs.
      +1
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
      Please do explain what are these amazing capabilities of Apple iOS that Android doesn't have.
      Can't wait to hear them!



      Same goes here, please explain further...I love these one liner statements with no arguments behind them.
      Without that it's nothing more than just personal opinionated puffs and rants.

      Secondly you mentioned one crucial thing...Apple iOS is closed junk without jailbraking (you can't even change a damn theme without it for ****s sakes)...that's why after 3 years of using it I switched (and trust me I will NEVER go back)...because I just got sick of praying how long will it take some1 to jailbreak the firmware before I can upgrade (which you can count on being longer and longer as the time goes by).
      Additionally to that I hate being forced to upgrade every 2 years (even though I do), just because someone else decided that my phone is obsolete now.

      So I do have extensive experience with both, and am not just a fanboy.
      With Android at least once you do r00t, Boot S-Off and Radio S-Off you are set for life and you never have to pray again.
      Hmm...

      Updates
      Battery Life
      A Better App Store
      Ease of Use
      Multitasking that works well
      No messaging bugs
      A Better Media Player

      Hmm what does Android have that iOS dosent other than themes? Bugs.... Yeah thats all....
    1. rickuk's Avatar
      rickuk -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Are routers supposed to have to be restarted every month? Because my Netgear router does.
      Yes i just restart it when i am forced to reboot my iPhone monthly
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      I know that my sister's Android with the specs of a 3G runs crappier than anything I've ever seen.
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
      Please do explain what are these amazing capabilities of Apple iOS that Android doesn't have.
      Can't wait to hear them!



      Same goes here, please explain further...I love these one liner statements with no arguments behind them.
      Without that it's nothing more than just personal opinionated puffs and rants.

      Secondly you mentioned one crucial thing...Apple iOS is closed junk without jailbraking (you can't even change a damn theme without it for ****s sakes)...that's why after 3 years of using it I switched (and trust me I will NEVER go back)...because I just got sick of praying how long will it take some1 to jailbreak the firmware before I can upgrade (which you can count on being longer and longer as the time goes by).
      Additionally to that I hate being forced to upgrade every 2 years (even though I do), just because someone else decided that my phone is obsolete now.

      So I do have extensive experience with both, and am not just a fanboy.
      With Android at least once you do r00t, Boot S-Off and Radio S-Off you are set for life and you never have to pray again.
      I love idiots who think their smart. You have not researched each type of Android/Apple Phone like I have. You say without jailbreaking you cant change theme? Actually you can. You can change the background pics + lockscreen, its been there for some firmwares now. Have fun with your rooting and unresponsive phone.

      Oh and,

      Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
      Hmm...

      Updates
      Battery Life
      A Better App Store
      Ease of Use
      Multitasking that works well
      No messaging bugs
      A Better Media Player

      Hmm what does Android have that iOS dosent other than themes? Bugs.... Yeah thats all....
      That answers it all. +1 to that.


      Quote Originally Posted by KevJ View Post
      Um, Android is already outselling Apple.
      How is Android outselling Apple's iPhone exactly? Look carefully at how many the iPhone has sold each quarter compared to the Android phones ROFL. Last I saw, iPhone sells around 16 million, while Android sells 1-2 million each phone.

      Companies make more Android phones than they can sell ROFLLL.
      Thats why their phones are trash, they don't stick to one-two phones which are superior, but instead make ****** phones constantly thinking they will make money.

      Android will always be trash, until they can fully utilize their hardware and software capabilities. Like I said before, I cannot stand phones which have better hardware but multi touch capabilities are pure ****. Apple = butter multi touch, Android = Crap, jerky unresponsive. Which one is better?
    1. Waleed786's Avatar
      Waleed786 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      I love idiots who think their smart. You have not researched each type of Android/Apple Phone like I have. You say without jailbreaking you cant change theme? Actually you can. You can change the background pics + lockscreen, its been there for some firmwares now. Have fun with your rooting and unresponsive phone.


      Oh and,



      That answers it all. +1 to that.
      A theme is not just the background.


      How is Android outselling Apple's iPhone exactly? Look carefully at how many the iPhone has sold each quarter compared to the Android phones ROFL. Last I saw, iPhone sells around 16 million, while Android sells 1-2 million each phone.
      You answered the question right there. There are many android phones. 1-2 million each phone adds up.

      Companies make more Android phones than they can sell ROFLLL. Thats why their phones are trash, they don't stick to one-two phones which are superior, but instead make ****** phones constantly thinking they will make money.
      What does this even mean? The phones are trash because there is too many of them? Everyone has different tastes, giving more options is better, not worse. Some want a qwerty, some want thin and sleek. iPhone gives only 1 option. And if the companies weren't making money, do you really think they would continue to make more phones?

      Android will always be trash, until they can fully utilize their hardware and software capabilities. Like I said before, I cannot stand phones which have better hardware but multi touch capabilities are pure ****. Apple = butter multi touch, Android = Crap, jerky unresponsive. Which one is better?
      Android does not make multi-touch phones. Android is an OS. Motorola, HTC etc. make multi-touch phones. That's like saying you hate Windows 7 because your Dell notebook is flimsy. Dell is Dell. Windows is Windows. Android is Android.

      Ease of use/better media player etc. are all opinions. I know this is an Apple-fan forums but there is still be a clear difference between fact and opinion.