• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Netgear Boss Blasts Apple Chief Steve Jobs


    So much for having compassion for Apple chief Steve Jobs during his latest medical leave of absence. On Monday, Netgear CEO Patrick Lo went on a verbal rampage against Apple and its founding father Steve Jobs. Blasting the company and Jobs over their corporate atmosphere of secrecy inside an already tightly closed business model, Lo did not mince words as he predicted Apple's ultimate demise.

    According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Lo was speaking at a luncheon in Sydney, Australia when his rant began - a tirade that hailed the eventual failure of Apple because of its closed platform. "Ultimately a closed system just can't go that far," Lo suggested. "If they continue to close it and let Android continue to creep up then it's pretty difficult as I see it." Lo, however, didn't just spout off with examples of his theory. Referencing Betamax and VHS, in one instance, Lo's speech was teeming with examples of how open platforms commonly prevail over their closed counterparts. The Netgear chief says Apple has to "find a way to open up iTunes without giving too much away on their revenue generation model." Lo says Steve Jobs "wants to suffocate the distribution so even though he doesn't own the content he could basically demand a ransom."

    Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away, then Apple will have to make a strategic decision on whether to open up the platform.
    In particular, the comment from Lo referencing the prospect of Jobs "going away" has been widely criticized given Jobs' current medical leave. In April 2009, Jobs underwent a liver transplant. At the time, his prognosis was "excellent." But earlier this month, just one and a half years after Jobs returned from his liver transplant, Apple announced Jobs' latest medical leave, raising questions about the Apple boss and just how healthy he really is - or isn't. Lo, however, didn't express much personal concern for Steve Jobs. And although Lo never mentioned Jobs' health, he did mention Jobs' ego. "What's the reason for him to trash Flash?" Lo asked. "There's no reason other than ego." Lo was also certain to mention that he's never had an opportunity to voice his concerns directly to Apple's CEO. "Steve Jobs doesn't give me a minute," Lo stated.

    Sydney Morning Herald
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Netgear Boss Blasts Apple Chief Steve Jobs started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 110 Comments
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Edit: BTW if someone suddenly say NetGear equipment will now blocked by Apple iOS and it happens I would not be surprised.
      I hope not D: I use Netgear.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I am considering a netgear USB wifi stick for my laptop since my stock wifi board doesn't work with OSX
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      The WiFi sticks work fine (I've experienced 0 issues with mine), the routers stop working every month though and you have to reset them.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I reset my router at least once a month (linksys). It performs better after.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Oh ok.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I am not sure why, but it works. Sometimes I lose connectivity for no apparent reason or it bogs down and gets laggy.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
      Well right now Apple has 13,473,086 of Volume and Netgear has 214,498.... So even then they dont have as much

      ok, I give you that but still you can not deny the guys assessment of how much of a power freak Jobs is. He is not wrong saying Android is catching up, as well as many of his other statement.


      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      I hope not D: I use Netgear.
      My edit is just an example on how I am not surprised how much of a control freak Job's Apple is. On any other platform or company I would go "WTF" but with Jobs Apple I would say "not surprised".
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      I am not sure why, but it works. Sometimes I lose connectivity for no apparent reason or it bogs down and gets laggy.

      Yeah with mine it still broadcasts a signal but it doesn't really connect you to the Internet.
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      that sadsamurai guy is just a troll, ignore him and his comments.

      after owning several htc android phones and motorola android phones all I have to say is i had to carry around a spare battery with my htc android phone. motorolas seem to fare a lot better in terms of battery usage but still not great.

      let's be honest guys, the reason why we like our iphones more than android is because in general the iphone itself(hardware) and ios are just more visually appealing. more rounded stuff, colorful but still tame at the same time. all the icons are the same outside shape which makes it easier on the eyes slightly.

      what else, docks are infinitely easier since the connection is on the bottom. all iphones have the same basic layout so if you need to borrow one from a friend or loan yours to a buddy then its all familiar.

      i will say though, apple is REALLY lagging in terms of the google maps stuff. the google maps w/nav on android is awesome! i have navigon on my iphone and its great but it isn't nearly as user friendly as google maps w/navigation on android. the only plus to navigon though is that since the maps are downloaded then i can use gps without needing any kind of cell signal(i've tried this. took my sim card out and the phone still navigated without a hitch for the entire 60 mile round trip i did as a test).

      edit: oh yeah and another plus for the iphone although not much is, if you thought your sync/charge cord for your iphone was short. try using one from htc(wtf htc it barely connects to my phone when its sitting on my desk and plugged in at the bottom of my desk. with my iphone at least i have 3-4 inches of slack. the htc one is nearly taut when connected).
    1. brab's Avatar
      brab -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
      Hmm...

      Updates
      Battery Life
      A Better App Store
      Ease of Use
      Multitasking that works well
      No messaging bugs
      A Better Media Player

      Hmm what does Android have that iOS dosent other than themes? Bugs.... Yeah thats all....
      I agree with better Appstore and No messaging bugs...

      The rest is a crap shoot...my Desire HD has better battery life than my 2G or 3G ever had...mind you it's a phone that most ppl b***h about its battery life...
      Secondly you can't really do a comparison between a single phone vs. multitude of different phones, so such things as battery life shouldn't be mentioned at all...

      Also let's not forget that some features that Android had from the start, was just introduced in iOS recently...
      I've been an Android user since November and iPhone user since the beginning of it (until last Nov)...so far the only bug I have encountered is the SMS bug you mention...everything else has been top notch...the phone is MEGA responsive when compared to 3G...
      Also my Desire HD is overclocked to 1.2Ghz and undervolted (for batter savings)...good luck doing that on an iPhone...(before trolls attack I meant a combination of both)...

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      I love idiots who think their smart. You have not researched each type of Android/Apple Phone like I have. You say without jailbreaking you cant change theme? Actually you can. You can change the background pics + lockscreen, its been there for some firmwares now. Have fun with your rooting and unresponsive phone.
      And I love morons who think they are smarter when they don't even know how to speak English properly...
      It's spelled THEY'RE or THEY ARE (you choose, either will work)...go back to primary school...
      For the rest of your ridiculously stupid answer you already got schooled by Waleed786...

      On a side note:
      *hi5* to mortopher HAHAHAHAHA
      You are the man!
    1. fishbone's Avatar
      fishbone -
      Then again, if wasn't for that "ego maniac" we would all probably be still using crappy free plastic phones! You ungrateful bastards should be saying a prair for him every time you use your phone(let alone your tablet) to do something that you used to do with a computer!

      Everyone that criticizes Apple model fails to see that we who dig jaibreak and the likes are fundamently GEEKS, who probably represents 0,01% of the average smartphone users.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
      I agree with better Appstore and No messaging bugs...

      The rest is a crap shoot...my Desire HD has better battery life than my 2G or 3G ever had...mind you it's a phone that most ppl b***h about its battery life...
      Secondly you can't really do a comparison between a single phone vs. multitude of different phones, so such things as battery life shouldn't be mentioned at all...

      Also let's not forget that some features that Android had from the start, was just introduced in iOS recently...
      I've been an Android user since November and iPhone user since the beginning of it (until last Nov)...so far the only bug I have encountered is the SMS bug you mention...everything else has been top notch...the phone is MEGA responsive when compared to 3G...
      Also my Desire HD is overclocked to 1.2Ghz and undervolted (for batter savings)...good luck doing that on an iPhone...(before trolls attack I meant a combination of both)...
      You can't really compare current Androids to not even last-generation iPhones.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
      Then again, if wasn't for that "ego maniac" we would all probably be still using crappy free plastic phones! You ungrateful bastards should be saying a prair for him every time you use your phone(let alone your tablet) to do something that you used to do with a computer!

      Everyone that criticizes Apple model fails to see that we who dig jaibreak and the likes are fundamently GEEKS, who probably represents 0,01% of the average smartphone users.

      If it weren't for that ego maniac we would not have antennagate and require a plastic to cover the glass and metal on the phone. To me for iPhone to working properly still looks like plastic phone because it needs a cover, so whats your point on the change again? I should thank him because I can carry heavier plastic looking phone?
      This ungrateful person still is ungrateful for this design flaw, thats right I call it design flaw!!

      If the jailbreak community is as low as you think it is, why are you here? Why is Apple even bothering with this 0.01% of its users? Why are they spending time and money hiring lawyers trying to get government to say jailbreak is illegal?
    1. Hondamaker's Avatar
      Hondamaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
      Android has been out as long as the iPhone has. Remember the tmobile g1? And now android has just started to outsell within the past year or so. Keep in mind android had to be released on all 4 carriers to outsell apple which until recently has only been on 1.
      4 different carriers and a butt-load of mediocre phones. Apple have nothing to worry about.
    1. Hondamaker's Avatar
      Hondamaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
      Wow, look at all this dumb fanboys. You make me puke.
      That control freak Jobs was told to shove it and all the pimple faced fanboys feel offended.
      Jobs is a freak, and I, just like a lot of other people despise his ego, so yeah good riddance.
      I have an iPhone, the only Apple product I have ever had and have no intention ever to buy another one.
      The only reason I bought this one is because I was able to jealbreak it and now can do whatever I want with a product that I legally purchased and own outright.
      If it was up to that facker Jobs I would have never been able to do that so yeah, have a nice (after)life, whenever he goes.
      Another pre-teen with an iPhone, trying to sound smart. Lol
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      ^ I just can't believe he'd wish death on someone for not making a good enough platform. People are FAR too quick to hate these days. And I don't mean where people "hate on" someone I mean when they say "Go to hell"
    1. eZStaR's Avatar
      eZStaR -
      Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
      I agree with better Appstore and No messaging bugs...

      The rest is a crap shoot...my Desire HD has better battery life than my 2G or 3G ever had...mind you it's a phone that most ppl b***h about its battery life...
      Secondly you can't really do a comparison between a single phone vs. multitude of different phones, so such things as battery life shouldn't be mentioned at all...

      Also let's not forget that some features that Android had from the start, was just introduced in iOS recently...
      I've been an Android user since November and iPhone user since the beginning of it (until last Nov)...so far the only bug I have encountered is the SMS bug you mention...everything else has been top notch...the phone is MEGA responsive when compared to 3G...
      Also my Desire HD is overclocked to 1.2Ghz and undervolted (for batter savings)...good luck doing that on an iPhone...(before trolls attack I meant a combination of both)...



      And I love morons who think they are smarter when they don't even know how to speak English properly...
      It's spelled THEY'RE or THEY ARE (you choose, either will work)...go back to primary school...
      For the rest of your ridiculously stupid answer you already got schooled by Waleed786...

      On a side note:
      *hi5* to mortopher HAHAHAHAHA
      You are the man!
      Oooo Lets bring English in a tech argument.

      Battery doesn't matter? Are you mentally retarded?
      You say 2G + 3G didn't have a better battery life? Hurr hurr lets compare last generation Apple phones with new Android ones.

      Apple iPhone 4 - June 2010
      Desire HD - Oct 19, 2010.
      Fair comparison in terms of hardware.
      (Actually iPhone 4 still has superior hardware lmfao)

      And overclocked + undervolted? LMFAO I have nothing more to say.

      Research more kiddie, you are out of your dumb little league.
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      The problem with android that will seemingly never be tackled is that there are multiple hardware manufacturers and they can't seem to collaborate with google to optimize android for any particular handset so it's like a broad unspecific and largely uneffective medicinal cure for a problem that requires intensive surgery.
    1. brab's Avatar
      brab -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      You can't really compare current Androids to not even last-generation iPhones.
      Well some of our office personnel uses iPhone4 and with 3G on the battery is even worse...I didn't think it was necessary to bring it up but apparently it is...

      In fact one of the iPhones twice last week went from 100% to 30% when being disconnected from the charger...good luck replacing the battery right?

      Quote Originally Posted by eZStaR View Post
      Oooo Lets bring English in a tech argument.

      Battery doesn't matter? Are you mentally retarded?
      You say 2G + 3G didn't have a better battery life? Hurr hurr lets compare last generation Apple phones with new Android ones.

      Apple iPhone 4 - June 2010
      Desire HD - Oct 19, 2010.
      Fair comparison in terms of hardware.
      (Actually iPhone 4 still has superior hardware lmfao)

      And overclocked + undervolted? LMFAO I have nothing more to say.

      Research more kiddie, you are out of your dumb little league.
      At first I just thought you are just a moron, now I am convinced you are a MEGA moron...therefore this will be my last post to you and I am done arguing with kids, as your above post is a proof that this is not getting anyone anywhere...
      "And overclocked + undervolted? LMFAO I have nothing more to say." - this is the best proof why btw

      First read my post above regarding iPhone4 if you so needed to bring it up, so you don't think it's a holy grail...

      If you read correctly what I wrote, I never said that an Android based phone had better or worse battery or that battery doesn't matter, I just said you can't really compare it as there are XX number of (current generation) Android phones with different specs and there's 1 iPhone...therefore you will find Android phones with better battery life and on the other hand some that are worse...
      If it was only 1 iPhone on the market and 1 Android phone on the market you could, without any issue...

      Secondly,

      regarding your statement:
      "And overclocked + undervolted? LMFAO I have nothing more to say."

      Of course you don't have anything to say coz you are an ignorant dumb***...

      To refute on your "research" statement, you desperately need to do some of that before you make yourself look like a total idiot (like you did now)...
      Enjoy the reading (lemme give you a hint; OC=overclocked UV=undervolted):
      [KERNEL]Buzz OC/UV 1.22Ghz CFS+BFQ+SmartAss+TUN+EXT4+.28 ACE 1.2.2 [28/01/2011] - xda-developers

      Now sit down and shut the **** up...
    1. clive.weller's Avatar
      clive.weller -
      Why is it than everyone is so cock sure that Apple will NEVER be beaten. Jobs and his tribe of merry men might all be very clever and have held the market untill now but sure as eggs are eggs someone, somewhere, somewhen will blast Apple out of the sky with a product far superior to iOS and related hardware.

      Given the technology within the iPhone etc, Apple products could be the very best on the market for many more years but Apple do not seem to see this and restricts and curtails any really good apps. All Apple has done so far is to let thousands of totally useless aps fill their store. (What use is an app that must be loaded onto two iPhones that permits bluetooth swap with a restriction that limits the transmition to just a few yards or an app that produces farts?] This will eventualy be their downfall.

      As for Jailbreaking, there are millions of iProducts out there and probably 95% of the users have not even heard of Jailbreaking let alone do it. To this end I do not see what Apple has to worry about.