• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Netgear Boss Blasts Apple Chief Steve Jobs


    So much for having compassion for Apple chief Steve Jobs during his latest medical leave of absence. On Monday, Netgear CEO Patrick Lo went on a verbal rampage against Apple and its founding father Steve Jobs. Blasting the company and Jobs over their corporate atmosphere of secrecy inside an already tightly closed business model, Lo did not mince words as he predicted Apple's ultimate demise.

    According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Lo was speaking at a luncheon in Sydney, Australia when his rant began - a tirade that hailed the eventual failure of Apple because of its closed platform. "Ultimately a closed system just can't go that far," Lo suggested. "If they continue to close it and let Android continue to creep up then it's pretty difficult as I see it." Lo, however, didn't just spout off with examples of his theory. Referencing Betamax and VHS, in one instance, Lo's speech was teeming with examples of how open platforms commonly prevail over their closed counterparts. The Netgear chief says Apple has to "find a way to open up iTunes without giving too much away on their revenue generation model." Lo says Steve Jobs "wants to suffocate the distribution so even though he doesn't own the content he could basically demand a ransom."

    Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away, then Apple will have to make a strategic decision on whether to open up the platform.
    In particular, the comment from Lo referencing the prospect of Jobs "going away" has been widely criticized given Jobs' current medical leave. In April 2009, Jobs underwent a liver transplant. At the time, his prognosis was "excellent." But earlier this month, just one and a half years after Jobs returned from his liver transplant, Apple announced Jobs' latest medical leave, raising questions about the Apple boss and just how healthy he really is - or isn't. Lo, however, didn't express much personal concern for Steve Jobs. And although Lo never mentioned Jobs' health, he did mention Jobs' ego. "What's the reason for him to trash Flash?" Lo asked. "There's no reason other than ego." Lo was also certain to mention that he's never had an opportunity to voice his concerns directly to Apple's CEO. "Steve Jobs doesn't give me a minute," Lo stated.

    Sydney Morning Herald
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Netgear Boss Blasts Apple Chief Steve Jobs started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 110 Comments
    1. prazer's Avatar
      prazer -
      All this open v closed bashing of Apple is jealousy. They want to cut in on apple's superior products design (not thier own) and bleed them of profits. Who says you have to do things a certain way. The owner / creator of the product has every right to decide how open or closed thier products are. The market is open...you can choose to go with apple, andriod, microsoft or whoever but the VAST majority is choosing Apple...that not open enough Mr Lo?
    1. R0nst0pable's Avatar
      R0nst0pable -
      Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
      I'm glad you have a deep understanding of the pricing behind stocks.



      I personally think that Apple has gotten pretty far with their setup, but I don't know how much further than can go. Opening up now might be that Gotcha moment that throws them for an even more wild ride and into even greater success. The closed market didn't work for them for the first 20? years.
      Smart man. Going forward, how much further can apple go with business as usual? Yes this is an "Apple" forum and yes this is being type on a jailbroken iPhone 4, BUT if you think android is sleeping on Apple you have another thing coming . Android is growing stronger and getting smarter with there phone design and software. Only time will tell.
    1. prazer's Avatar
      prazer -
      "Smart man. Going forward, how much further can apple go with business as usual? Yes this is an "Apple" forum and yes this is being type on a jailbroken iPhone 4, BUT if you think android is sleeping on Apple you have another thing coming . Android is growing stronger and getting smarter with there phone design and software. Only time will tell."

      True...but where is the cutting edge tech that redefines an industry. The visionary leadership of Jobs IS the ONLY issue at stake of where Apple goes from here. Andriod et al has never made the ground shake when they have introduced new products enhancements etc...everyone is feeding off of Apple. Its all reactionary.
    1. sadsamurai's Avatar
      sadsamurai -
      Wow, look at all this dumb fanboys. You make me puke.
      That control freak Jobs was told to shove it and all the pimple faced fanboys feel offended.
      Jobs is a freak, and I, just like a lot of other people despise his ego, so yeah good riddance.
      I have an iPhone, the only Apple product I have ever had and have no intention ever to buy another one.
      The only reason I bought this one is because I was able to jealbreak it and now can do whatever I want with a product that I legally purchased and own outright.
      If it was up to that facker Jobs I would have never been able to do that so yeah, have a nice (after)life, whenever he goes.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
      Wow, look at all this dumb fanboys. You make me puke.
      That control freak Jobs was told to shove it and all the pimple faced fanboys feel offended.
      Jobs is a freak, and I, just like a lot of other people despise his ego, so yeah good riddance.
      I have an iPhone, the only Apple product I have ever had and have no intention ever to buy another one.
      The only reason I bought this one is because I was able to jealbreak it and now can do whatever I want with a product that I legally purchased and own outright.
      If it was up to that facker Jobs I would have never been able to do that so yeah, have a nice (after)life, whenever he goes.
      Are you wishing death on him?
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
      This is why you need an open system:

      -homescreen replacement
      -widgets
      -PSX emulator, GBC emulator, etc
      -REAL multitasking (not just pause it)
      -open a file (from a file manager) with an array of apps; not just what the dev says is okay (or apple as a matter of fact)
      -make ringtones right on the devices without needing itunes
      -lock every app on the devices with a swiping motion, no more pins to remember
      -access internal memory
      -copy any text from anywhere on the screen using OCR (app is called copy-paste it)
      -dropbox upload ANY file you want; no restrictions
      -multiple email apps, you pick which is best for you. thats goes for contacts, photos, calendar, you name it.
      -many browsers to choose from, not just two
      -voice to text input
      -alternate keyboards (thumb keyboard, smart keyboard,better keyboard) for those who dont have the ideal hand size to wield an apple product
      -return apps in 15 minutes
      -download ANY file right from MY browser; i dont need goodreader to do it

      PS- I dont even need to be rooted or what you guys call "jailbroken" to do it. I can do it right out of the box.

      You guys may get me on a couple apps, but you WONT get me on all. peace.

      flame on!
      We can do that and more with jailbreaking, which is as easy as doing some stuff on android....


      We have a nice user friendly homescreen....

      We have an app for everything and have the apps all on the homescreen.... We dont need widgets....

      -We have emulators


      -REAL MULTITASKING? What does that mean to you? So you mean to say that you want it to eat your battery even though your not using it? For music? It works.... Yeah so our multitasking works just as good as yours except it dosent kill the battery...

      -Why need a file manager when there is an app for everything you need, and that can access what you need? It just makes it more cluttered....

      -We access the internal memory for everything....

      -We can already copy and paste all text... Thats like 3.0

      -Dropbox is an app.... So i dont know the restriction but it dosent count as the whole phone.... And there basically isnt any restrictions.... Its not very smart to be able to upload apps...

      -We have multiple email apps

      -We have a lot of browser.... Safari, Skyfire, Opera, do you want more?

      -Voice to input we have a lot of apps for that

      -Keyboard done

      -We can return apps

      -We can download stuff right from our browser and view them or save them... PDF's music pics....

      Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
      Wow, look at all this dumb fanboys. You make me puke.
      That control freak Jobs was told to shove it and all the pimple faced fanboys feel offended.
      Jobs is a freak, and I, just like a lot of other people despise his ego, so yeah good riddance.
      I have an iPhone, the only Apple product I have ever had and have no intention ever to buy another one.
      The only reason I bought this one is because I was able to jealbreak it and now can do whatever I want with a product that I legally purchased and own outright.
      If it was up to that facker Jobs I would have never been able to do that so yeah, have a nice (after)life, whenever he goes.
      Well you dont sound to awesome eaither... Chill your -----.... Your kinda making me puke.... You seem like a freak to wishing someones death....
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Actually I do like the file manager and upload capabilities of Android. On iOS you have to download iFile and iStorage for $5.99 (this one's from the App Store). Even then the upload only works about half the time.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
      We can do that and more with jailbreaking, which is as easy as doing some stuff on android....


      We have a nice user friendly homescreen....

      We have an app for everything and have the apps all on the homescreen.... We dont need widgets....

      -We have emulators


      -REAL MULTITASKING? What does that mean to you? So you mean to say that you want it to eat your battery even though your not using it? For music? It works.... Yeah so our multitasking works just as good as yours except it dosent kill the battery...

      -Why need a file manager when there is an app for everything you need, and that can access what you need? It just makes it more cluttered....

      -We access the internal memory for everything....

      -We can already copy and paste all text... Thats like 3.0

      -Dropbox is an app.... So i dont know the restriction but it dosent count as the whole phone.... And there basically isnt any restrictions.... Its not very smart to be able to upload apps...

      -We have multiple email apps

      -We have a lot of browser.... Safari, Skyfire, Opera, do you want more?

      -Voice to input we have a lot of apps for that

      -Keyboard done

      -We can return apps

      -We can download stuff right from our browser and view them or save them... PDF's music pics....



      Well you dont sound to awesome eaither... Chill your -----.... Your kinda making me puke.... You seem like a freak to wishing someones death....
      I'm an avid supporter of jailbroken iOS, but come one man. The majority of the things you list that we can do are only possible because hackers/devs OPENED up the CLOSED platform that is iOS.
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Oh and the restrictions of DropBox is you can only upload photos. Lame. (by the way I actually do like jailbroken iOS more than Android, but I haven't really had much experience with Android)
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Maybe netgear is mad because they want Apple to incorporate their hardware into Apple products?
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Android on the flagship devices produced now is leaps and bounds beyond what it was back when the first Droid came out. They do have some quality phones out now. For me however, I've always been satisfied with iPhones and thus have no reason to stray for now.
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
      I'm an avid supporter of jailbroken iOS, but come one man. The majority of the things you list that we can do are only possible because hackers/devs OPENED up the CLOSED platform that is iOS.
      Actually only a couple had to be done jailbroken... Emulators and themes.. and keyboard... We can view stuff right from our browser... Though that Dropbox thing is pretty stupid then
    1. bignighttrain's Avatar
      bignighttrain -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Actually I do like the file manager and upload capabilities of Android. On iOS you have to download iFile and iStorage for $5.99 (this one's from the App Store). Even then the upload only works about half the time.
      Yea then some kid jacks up their android cause it's an open platform then takes it back to their network provider and complains about how jacked up their phone is. Keep it simple just like apple dose and if you need that extra something to set your phone aside from the others then jailbreak it just keep it simple for the masses.
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Oh and the restrictions of DropBox is you can only upload photos. Lame. (by the way I actually do like jailbroken iOS more than Android, but I haven't really had much experience with Android)
      Oh IDK that... That sucks... I have Dropbox but havent tried to upload anything only view whats there....
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      I'm ready to try another phone, but am pretty sure I would be disappointed(I have not tried HoneyComb) so I got the iPhone 4.
    1. Cer0's Avatar
      Cer0 -
      I can't wait to test a HoneyComb slate. That was the Android version I was waiting for to try an Android slate.
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
      I'm ready to try another phone, but am pretty sure I would be disappointed(I have not tried HoneyComb) so I got the iPhone 4.
      Same here ive tried it all? But most of them sacrificed something for something else... The iPhone just had it all good....
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Snozberries View Post
      sooo i'll state this as simply as possible for you's guys.
      AAPL - $339.75/share
      NTGR - $34.73/share

      closed business model this netgear!! p.s. - i own linksys/cisco products (TYVM!)

      You over simplify things.
      How many shares are there for AAPL and how many shares are NTGR?
      Maybe NTGR want more shares out on the market to bring the price down so more people can afford it?

      Even then what the guy saying about Apple is not wrong, except the part that take time to prove.


      Edit: BTW if someone suddenly say NetGear equipment will now blocked by Apple iOS and it happens I would not be surprised.
    1. CaptainChaos's Avatar
      CaptainChaos -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
      I can't wait to test a HoneyComb slate. That was the Android version I was waiting for to try an Android slate.
      I, too, am waiting for HoneyComb. I wish the Atrix was coming out with it, but they are launching it with 2.2. In the mean time I am awaiting the specs on the iPad 2.
    1. iphone?3gs's Avatar
      iphone?3gs -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      You over simplify things.
      How many shares are there for AAPL and how many shares are NTGR?
      Maybe NTGR want more shares out on the market to bring the price down so more people can afford it?

      What the guy saying is not wrong.


      Edit: BTW if someone suddenly say NetGear equipment will now blocked by Apple iOS and it happens I would not be surprised.
      Well right now Apple has 13,473,086 of Volume and Netgear has 214,498.... So even then they dont have as much