• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Another Case of a Third-party iPhone Power Adapter Electrocution Reported


    There has been a lot of drama lately with third-party iOS device power adapters causing electrocutions. If that little brick didnít come from a legitimate Apple-branded box, you may want to think twice about using it.

    A new report reveals that a man in Thailand was killed by electrocution while using his iPhone 4S, which was charging using a third-party non-Apple branded power adapter. As MacRumors reports, the man was performing actions on his iPhone 4S during the course of it charging Ė the multitasking is likely what made the man unlucky.

    Apple introduced a third-party iOS device power adapter takeback program in August in an attempt to try and keep these dangerous power adapters off of the streets. Many third-party manufacturers are not careful when producing their Apple look-alikes, and donít take the safety steps necessary to ensure that the power adapter is safe for people to use.

    Two other major electrocutions have been documented (1), (2), illustrating that the problem with third-party iOS device power adapters is very real.

    To be safe, all users should ensure that the power adapter they're going to use is one of Apple's own. While they may cost more, they're certainly safer.

    Sources: Daily News Thailand Translated via MacRumors
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Another Case of a Third-party iPhone Power Adapter Electrocution Reported started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 23 Comments
    1. The6uest's Avatar
      The6uest -
      It's odd that all of these have happened in Asia. I wonder if these are cheap iPhone copies or maybe rejects from the plant? Something is up with it..
    1. gtemkin's Avatar
      gtemkin -
      Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
      It's odd that all of these have happened in Asia. I wonder if these are cheap iPhone copies or maybe rejects from the plant? Something is up with it..
      Doesn't help that wall socket supplied electricity is 220 volts AC in Thailand and China. That's twice the level (110VAC) than is typical in North America and has much more potential to be lethal.
    1. AleaseSharpless's Avatar
      AleaseSharpless -
      That is just not justified..it should stop happening.