• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple TV Content Options Broadened Tuesday


    It's another positive step in the right direction for Apple TV. On Tuesday, Apple once again updated its streaming content platform to include new viewing options for Apple TV users.

    Yahoo, for example, has made its Yahoo Screen service available on Apple TV. The same goes for PBS, which has rolled out an app that lets users enjoy some - but definitely not all - PBS programming on the set top box.

    AllThingsD confirmed today that the PBS app requires Apple users "to sign in using Facebook, Google+ or PBS’s own registration system" in order to help find and access the PBS affiliate broadcasts in the user's geographic region. Fortunately, the app does not mandate “authentication,” which results in users not having to secure a paid subscription of any sort to enjoy the programming provided by PBS.

    This is the second time Apple TV has been updated in as many months, although it's been more than a year and a half since the Apple TV hardware was given a comprehensive overhaul.

    Source: AllThingsD
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple TV Content Options Broadened Tuesday started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      I doubt they'll give it much of a hardware overhaul, I own an Apple TV 2 and a 3, and the difference in performance is almost negligible. They both play 1080p content and they both have the same software. I really haven't noticed a difference in speed either.
    1. spectrum's Avatar
      spectrum -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      I doubt they'll give it much of a hardware overhaul, I own an Apple TV 2 and a 3, and the difference in performance is almost negligible. They both play 1080p content and they both have the same software. I really haven't noticed a difference in speed either.
      I believe the Apple TV 2 only outputs 720p. I might be wrong though.
    1. Donnutt's Avatar
      Donnutt -
      Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
      I believe the Apple TV 2 only outputs 720p. I might be wrong though.
      That was a big deal actually, I had just bought my 2 when the three came out. The software update added 1080p capability to the Apple TV 2.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
      I believe the Apple TV 2 only outputs 720p. I might be wrong though.
      You are right, the second generation does only output 720P, but I could not really notice any speed or visual differences between the two.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      You would think getting more content on the APTV would not be an issue. Yet Apple has kept its progress at a snails pace since its inception. I own an APTV 2 and have no need to update.
    1. Kaisei's Avatar
      Kaisei -
      I'm curious as to which update allowed 1080p output for the ATV2? Also, how is the ATV3 different if ATV2 has the exact same capabilities?
    1. romeoz's Avatar
      romeoz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
      That was a big deal actually, I had just bought my 2 when the three came out. The software update added 1080p capability to the Apple TV 2.
      No software update will enable 1080p. Atv3 plays 1080p, atv2 plays 720p. The 1080p is good to steam mkv's too. You can stream mkv's to the Apple TV 2 but it's choppy at best, atv3 plays them without any pausing.
    1. Titan3636's Avatar
      Titan3636 -
      Quote Originally Posted by romeoz View Post
      No software update will enable 1080p. Atv3 plays 1080p, atv2 plays 720p. The 1080p is good to steam mkv's too. You can stream mkv's to the Apple TV 2 but it's choppy at best, atv3 plays them without any pausing.
      How do u stream MKV and other videos that arent downloaded from apple?? Thx
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      Quote Originally Posted by Titan3636 View Post
      How do u stream MKV and other videos that arent downloaded from apple?? Thx
      You need a roku3 for that.
    1. dwizurd's Avatar
      dwizurd -
      I simply copy my movie files in to iTunes and airplay them to my ATV 3
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      Come on Apple! ATV4 with A7 internals!
    1. danman2_2999's Avatar
      danman2_2999 -
      Looking for a way to easily stream everything from my PC to my HDTV. Apple TV would be a homerun, except I have yet found a way to jailbreak the latest. I'll stick to my xBox 360 and PS3 and HDMI direct to watch stuff
    1. emerica6708's Avatar
      emerica6708 -
      Quote Originally Posted by danman2_2999 View Post
      Looking for a way to easily stream everything from my PC to my HDTV. Apple TV would be a homerun, except I have yet found a way to jailbreak the latest. I'll stick to my xBox 360 and PS3 and HDMI direct to watch stuff
      I use Plex to stream all my tv and movies from pc to Apple TV, install Plex Media Server on the PC then use plexConnect to stream all the media imported into PMS. PlexConnect takes a little bit of work to setup but after that its all good. Search for PlexConnect, it's on github, it's just a python script so it doesn't drag your PC down at all.
    1. femibrim's Avatar
      femibrim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Titan3636 View Post
      How do u stream MKV and other videos that arent downloaded from apple?? Thx
      That's why INFUSE is such a great app!!! It allows me to stream my xvid files, mkv, mp4, etc etc from my iPhone and my iPad to my Atv3, great pic and sound.... Easy peasy! But I will say this how well you stream ( at least this is the way the case presents to me) depends on generally 2 things.... Your device( processor power) and size of file.....So for me in order of best to worst is my iPhone 5s then iPad 3 then iPhone 4. Also I don't know if being jailbroken is a factor as my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 are jailbroken..... But nonetheless Infuse is the way to go....

      But what I would like to know, is that if the Modmyi editors, mods etc etc could take a look at this for their assessment

      http://http://www.zdnet.com/retina-i...ys-7000023349/

      And

      http://http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_4.htm
    1. BenderRodriguez's Avatar
      BenderRodriguez -
      Quote Originally Posted by Titan3636 View Post
      How do u stream MKV and other videos that arent downloaded from apple?? Thx
      go get the app Beamer in the App Store or other places...
      it will stream ANY movie file in 1080p to apple tv 2 or 3 idk about apple tv 1
      use apple remote to control the playback
      only drawback is no playlists, drag and drop only

      i had tons of lag before and ABSOLUTELY NO LAG WITH THIS
    1. hemptation's Avatar
      hemptation -
      I own 3 Apple TV 2's. all are jailbroken.
      I run plex media server on my iMac. And for the last 2 years it has been work to keep it up and rolling on all my tv's. I recently bought the roku 3 And it is perfect for my needs Runs smooth. Will play almost any format that plex recognizes. Which is most videos. And as a bonus you can play angry birds on it. Every body has to find the media solution that works for them. So everyone will buy and use products differently.

      I will say. Since the update to mavericks. The new display features for the Apple TV absolutely rock. You can mirror your desktop now. Or use your tv plugged into you Apple TV as an external monitor with its on dock and menu bar. Really cool stuff
    1. Titan3636's Avatar
      Titan3636 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
      go get the app Beamer in the App Store or other places...
      it will stream ANY movie file in 1080p to apple tv 2 or 3 idk about apple tv 1
      use apple remote to control the playback
      only drawback is no playlists, drag and drop only

      i had tons of lag before and ABSOLUTELY NO LAG WITH THIS
      Can't find that app