• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple HDTV Plans Indefinitely Shelved, Says Report


    For two years we've been hearing that Apple's connected HDTV plans are moving forward.

    That was, of course, until now. A new NPD DisplaySearch report indicates that the shifting market momentum toward wearable devices has given Apple reason for pause with its TV aspirations. Instead, the company is now said to be largely focusing its new genre product efforts toward the so-called Apple iWatch.

    According to sources in the TV supply chain, it appears that Apple’s long-rumored TV plans, which were far from concrete anyway, have been put on hold again, possibly to be replaced by a rollout of wearable devices.
    But a lack of exclusive content is also hamstringing Apple's plans, we're told.

    "To offer truly unique product differentiation that would allow Apple to capture market share from existing smart TV brands, they would need to either deliver some exclusive source of content that the other brands cannot, such as a la carte pay-TV channels, or proprietary content not available on other devices," today's report reads. "Neither of these is easy to achieve, and our sources indicate this is one of the principle reasons for the delay in the project."

    Source: NPD DisplaySearch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple HDTV Plans Indefinitely Shelved, Says Report started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 10 Comments
    1. hogcia's Avatar
      hogcia -
      This is because Apple moves like a snail. How long have they been talking about this iWatch now? Slow as ****!
    1. vikrants's Avatar
      vikrants -
      Apple has never talked about the iWatch
    1. iCity11's Avatar
      iCity11 -
      Quote Originally Posted by vikrants View Post
      Apple has never talked about the iWatch
      Lol
    1. REMED1AL's Avatar
      REMED1AL -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      This is because Apple moves like a snail. How long have they been talking about this iWatch now? Slow as ****!
      Apple was working on the iPad long before we even had the iPod. Moving like a snail works just fine when the final product is made correctly and not just quickly. Today everyone is watching Apple's every move in addition to supply chain leaks doing everything they can to ruin the surprise it has become very difficult to keep quiet on new techs. If that wasn't bad enough the rumor mill isn't afraid to just make stuff up.

      Samsung and the other competition rush out with the "first" version of something like the watch every time they hear a rumor that Apple is researching it. Apples iWatch will be a a very different product then what is out now and will have a much quicker return on investment than the TV (until Apple gets direct media access in which case the TV will provide a constant return).

      iTV might have happened now if Apple didn't get locked out by networks/cable providers we would have seen the TV already. Since they are locked out until the market changes in their favor it makes no sense to wait. Heck, iTV might not have been anything more then a brainstorming challenge to see what might be worth building and after looking into it was decided it wasn't worth the time right now.

      It's funny to me to get reports about something being dead that wasn't even given life to begin with... rumors can now be made up about rumors we already made.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      It would make more sense for them to wait now that 4K TVs are out. If they released a non 4K TV everyone would be questioning them. However, the cost of 4K TVs is just too high at the moment and the sales numbers wouldn't be there.
    1. BUcLAo69's Avatar
      BUcLAo69 -
      I know right @vikrants Apple never did talk about iWatch. I only heard it from rumors about it on the net and if they do comes out with one it will definitely beat "Samsung" I mean "Samsux" Hahaha.....
    1. Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
      Mc-Lovin_341 -
      Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
      This is because Apple moves like a snail. How long have they been talking about this iWatch now? Slow as ****!
      But you know if Apple do create this rumoured iWatch it will be superior to the current market. Smart watches are bulky and cumbersome, they will design something no one else will think is possible.
    1. holyshnikes's Avatar
      holyshnikes -
      Quote Originally Posted by REMED1AL View Post
      Apple was working on the iPad long before we even had the iPod. Moving like a snail works just fine when the final product is made correctly and not just quickly. Today everyone is watching Apple's every move in addition to supply chain leaks doing everything they can to ruin the surprise it has become very difficult to keep quiet on new techs. If that wasn't bad enough the rumor mill isn't afraid to just make stuff up.

      Samsung and the other competition rush out with the "first" version of something like the watch every time they hear a rumor that Apple is researching it. Apples iWatch will be a a very different product then what is out now and will have a much quicker return on investment than the TV (until Apple gets direct media access in which case the TV will provide a constant return).

      iTV might have happened now if Apple didn't get locked out by networks/cable providers we would have seen the TV already. Since they are locked out until the market changes in their favor it makes no sense to wait. Heck, iTV might not have been anything more then a brainstorming challenge to see what might be worth building and after looking into it was decided it wasn't worth the time right now.

      It's funny to me to get reports about something being dead that wasn't even given life to begin with... rumors can now be made up about rumors we already made.
      Seriously have to give this a few +1's

      You said just about everything I was going to say, would have said, and have said several times on this site. It's about creating a product of quality and doing it right. The biggest problem with the iTV was the fact that the cable TV providers didn't want to make deals. Neither did a lot of record labels and the owners of those labels (Sony) when iTunes was first coming out. Now look at it.

      Just saying.
    1. carlos6438's Avatar
      carlos6438 -
      Love how these news outlets speculate then this report comes out to justify their rumor as "shelved" or they say it is pushed back and add a year to today's date and pretend its news. I'm glad Samsung came out with their galaxy gear so apple can see how NOT to make a product then follow it up by selling millions. Can't blame apple for being "slow" when they can make a better product.

      BTW the iPad air 2 is gonna have an A8 and M8 chip, retina screen, and probably more memory. Oh damn I just leaked specs early, guess I'm gonna get calls and emails now to do interviews lol
    1. edoutmax's Avatar
      edoutmax -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mc-Lovin_341 View Post
      But you know if Apple do create this rumoured iWatch it will be superior to the current market. Smart watches are bulky and cumbersome, they will design something no one else will think is possible.
      What, they will create one with a band (leather or metal), the face will be square with rounded corners or a round face?