• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Acknowledges Battery Defect in Some iPhone 5s Units Causing Problems


    On Tuesday, Apple has acknowledged a battery manufacturing defect that was affecting a very small amount of iPhone 5s units that could lead to decreased battery life and longer charging times. Apple spokeswoman Teresa Brewer explains the situation below:

    Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    We recently discovered a manufacturing issue affecting a very limited number of iPhone 5s devices that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life. We are reaching out to customers with affected phones and will provide them with a replacement phone.
    The New York Times estimates that a "few thousand" iPhone 5s units are affected by the small manufacturing defect, which isn't very large considering the tech giant has sold millions of them thus far with no end for demand in sight.

    Apple is reacting to the situation by reaching out to those that are affected by the issue and offering replacement units. It's unknown how Apple is actually planning to contact those that are affected, but we expect that Apple has a database of affected units sorted by serial number and can track down the owners to contact them accordingly.

    The issue is not known to be plaguing the iPhone 5c.

    Sources: New York Times
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Acknowledges Battery Defect in Some iPhone 5s Units Causing Problems started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 15 Comments
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      So far mine is ok...... It is nice that Apple will be reaching out to the people with the problem phones and is also going to replace them.
    1. Fimeg's Avatar
      Fimeg -
      What's with the Gold iPhone 5 in that photo... Look at the flash.
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Fimeg View Post
      What's with the Gold iPhone 5 in that photo... Look at the flash.
      Lol. Their is suppose to be some bezel around the home button to.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Sorry about that... I hadn't noticed that the picture was wrong. I've updated it with one of an iPhone 5s. Thanks!
    1. Shigoroku's Avatar
      Shigoroku -
      I bought an AT&T 64GB space grey iPhone 5s secondhand. I think this is one of the affected units. I've noticed that my year-old iPhone 5 has better battery life than the week-old 5s.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      I wish they'd acknowledge all the bugs in 7.0.3 vs 7.0.2!?!? I'm constantly having to Reboot due to default apps freezing. I might have to do a clean install...ugghhh
    1. JazJon's Avatar
      JazJon -
      I was wondering why my iPhone 5S charges so slowly when connected to my AppRadio in my car. I wonder if I have the problem? I guess not since Apple never contacted me yet. It's more likely the AppRadio has a low powered USB port and it's using minimal trickle mode. (confirmed by a few experts)
    1. holyshnikes's Avatar
      holyshnikes -
      No problems on mine, except it seems to have the same life as my 4S did.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      I wish they'd acknowledge all the bugs in 7.0.3 vs 7.0.2!?!? I'm constantly having to Reboot due to default apps freezing. I might have to do a clean install...ugghhh
      just downgrade back to iOS 6 wait til the bugs are fixed then upgrade. OR in the future, dont jump ship so fast.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      just downgrade back to iOS 6 wait til the bugs are fixed then upgrade. OR in the future, dont jump ship so fast.
      Its a 5S, no iOS 6 for me. I always get the new phone...it's my thing; I'm always down to be the guinea pig!!!
    1. quicktruck's Avatar
      quicktruck -
      Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
      I was wondering why my iPhone 5S charges so slowly when connected to my AppRadio in my car. I wonder if I have the problem? I guess not since Apple never contacted me yet. It's more likely the AppRadio has a low powered USB port and it's using minimal trickle mode. (confirmed by a few experts)
      Mine won't charge at all through my Kenwood radio! My wife has a 5 and I had a 4s, both those charged great but this one shows it is charging but never increases the battery life. I contacted apple and they said it was my radio. lol When you charge it in the house you can not use anything on the phone while it is charging or it won't.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by quicktruck View Post
      Mine won't charge at all through my Kenwood radio! My wife has a 5 and I had a 4s, both those charged great but this one shows it is charging but never increases the battery life. I contacted apple and they said it was my radio. lol When you charge it in the house you can not use anything on the phone while it is charging or it won't.
      I'm thinking its the phone...
      I use cheap, aftermarket USB plugs in my car (and wife's SUV) w/ the Apple Lightning cord and we charge quickly. I can even use the Kenwood USB or my Single DIN DVD player's USB port w/out issues.
    1. MarioJP's Avatar
      MarioJP -
      I wonder how long it'll take the phones to be replaced. Seeing as there's limited supplies of 5S' in stock.
    1. mgmm1's Avatar
      mgmm1 -
      Looks like I'm one of those getting the replacement according to the voice message I just heard.

      Now that I gave out my iPhone 5S serial # I am concerned this is some kind of scam. This initial call was from a 916 area code in Sacramento, Ca. and shows up as Apple on the caller ID I had called back an 877 area code which the automated answer said something about thank you for called My iPhone. The"live" person said this was the iOS tech support and asked for the serial number which I wasn't sure I should give but did anyway along with the case number than was provided in the voice message.

      I was then transferred to a "case specialist" (or some title like that) who scheduled me for an appointment for today at the nearest Apple store. I did not receive any confirmation email but the case specialist gave me another 877 # and extension to call and his full name.

      The Apple Store is not open yet to confirm the appointment and the case specialist supposedly does not work today until 12pm my time ( or 2pm his time).

      Been doing some research and the 916 # has come up a lot, even back to 2004. Some indicated it was a sales scam. Even the 877 callback # showed up in a MacRumors forum but no real information.

      Should I be concerned that I gave out my serial number and someone could hack my phone or just relax for an hour or so until the Apple Store opens and call to confirm the appointment.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by mgmm1 View Post
      Looks like I'm one of those getting the replacement according to the voice message I just heard.
      You're not this same 'Modfather' are you?