Microsoft recently released an official Remote Desktop application for the iPad and iPhone, giving Windows users the ability to access their Windows machine on the go. The Microsoft Remote Desktop app is a 12.6 MB free application which requires iOS 6.0 or later and is available on the iOS app store.
According to Microsoft, the new application offers access to a Windows PC with RemoteFX. Features of this software include the following:
- Access to remote resources through the Remote Desktop Gateway
- Rich multi-touch experience with remote desktop protocol (RDP) and RemoteFX supporting Windows gestures
- Secure connection to your data and applications with breakthrough Network Layer Authentication (NLA) technology
- Simple management of all remote connections from the connection center
- High quality video and sound streaming with improved compression and bandwidth usage
- Easy connection to external monitors or projectors for presentations
New versions of Microsoft’s Remote Desktop apps are also said to be coming to Android, Windows and Windows RT in the near future. The recently released Remote Desktop application is the latest in a series of gradual software launches for Apple’s iOS platform from Microsoft. Out of the several products which are still in the works, Microsoft’s touch-optimized version of Microsoft Office continues to be one of the most widely anticipated.