• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Beats Prepares a Music Subscription App said to compete with iTunes Radio


    For those of you who love music, you’ll have yet another option for music streaming. Beats, the maker of the popular Beats by Dre premium headphones, recently confirmed that the United States launch of its long-anticipated music streaming service is set to occur in the next few months. The service is said to be available on the web on Android devices and is said to take on Apple’s iTunes Radio on iOS devices.

    The company claims it has been working on its Beats Music service for quite some time. Apple eventually rolled out iTunes Radio alongside iOS 7 but Beats reportedly wasn’t deterred by the iPhone maker’s entry into the streaming segment. While iTunes Radio has an approach similar to that of Pandora’s, Beats Music is said to rely heavily on curation and playlists. Beats COO Luke Wood told The Next Web the following regarding the matter:

    If you really love music, we want something that can go deep with you for a really long time. And that requires a perfect harmony between the algorithm and human curation.
    No further specifics were given regarding the launch of Beats Music other than word of it releasing “within the next few months.”

    Is Beats Music something you would consider using?

    Source: The Next Web
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Beats Prepares a Music Subscription App said to compete with iTunes Radio started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 24 Comments
    1. NSXrebel's Avatar
      NSXrebel -
      No thanks. EDM all the way. iTunes podcasts, iTunes Radio, Pandora, and SiriusXM app (when I had it) was plenty enough.
    1. Colin9001's Avatar
      Colin9001 -
      zzz BEATS radio enhanced with BEATS audio
      People pay for the name, not quality
    1. smith01's Avatar
      smith01 -
      This is the problem with iTunes Radio. Someone else starts a radio service which works WORLDWIDE from the start where iTunes Radio doesn't.
      iTunes Radio will never be as good or as big as other services like Spoitfy, Pandora, Sirius or Beats.
      iTunes Radio is another flop like Ping. Just wait and see, I'll be right again.

      Apple these days are so predictable. They copy and release a lot of crap then wonder why they are flops. Its because they are too strict and crap. There are other services and devices which are way better but there are a lot of stupid people that still pay for Apples crap thats the only reason why Apple are still going, its all you suckers.
      If people actually stopped and shopped around and didn't go for brand names then Apple would die off quickly. There are a lot better devices a lot cheaper than all Apple products.
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Yeah..don't need another music streaming service. Without a nitch what is the attraction? Unless they start linking this with hip hop pre releases. Giving a music listener new music before anyone can buy it would work. I'll stick with iTunes library as I don't stream much.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by Colin9001 View Post
      zzz BEATS radio enhanced with BEATS audio
      People pay for the name, not quality
      apple sells beats head phones in its retail store though no apple devices support beats audio.

      I have beats audio on my HP Envy laptop and my HTC One and its definitely quality--the iPhone doesn't even support 5.1 surround sound so I can see why iUsers wouldn't be impressed by this.
    1. smith01's Avatar
      smith01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      apple sells beats head phones in its retail store though no apple devices support beats audio.

      I have beats audio on my HP Envy laptop and my HTC One and its definitely quality--the iPhone doesn't even support 5.1 surround sound so I can see why iUsers wouldn't be impressed by this.
      Thats what I'm talking about. There are so many devices better than Apples but idiots still buy it because its got the Apple name. They are the ones with more money than sense as Apple products are over priced pieces of iCrap compared to all the other products out there.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      apple sells beats head phones in its retail store though no apple devices support beats audio.

      I have beats audio on my HP Envy laptop and my HTC One and its definitely quality--the iPhone doesn't even support 5.1 surround sound so I can see why iUsers wouldn't be impressed by this.
      Beats audio is essentially just an equalizer setting... its really not much more than that. Beats Audio doesn't support 5.1 so I am not sure where you are going with that. Not much of a reason to support 5.1 audio in a device with only 2 speakers. Apple selling Beats headphones has nothing to do with anything. The headphones are simply just that... headphones. They have big drivers to provide clear sound but nothing else, I am pretty sure that the iPhone and iPod support headphones.

      More info about your Beats audio: http://youtu.be/Cdbn_pmxFic
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      apple sells beats head phones in its retail store though no apple devices support beats audio.

      I have beats audio on my HP Envy laptop and my HTC One and its definitely quality--the iPhone doesn't even support 5.1 surround sound so I can see why iUsers wouldn't be impressed by this.
      What are you even talking about?!?? Are you seriously arguing that an iPhone should have 5.1 surround? If so, that's absurd. Second, YOU will NEVER get surround sound from your laptop or HTC One. Surround is about speaker configuration, not, solely, on settings from source.

      I'd LOVE to see you sitting back on your couch fooling yourself into thinking you're fully immersed in a movie that you're watching on your laptop/phone.
    1. peacedog's Avatar
      peacedog -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      This is the problem with iTunes Radio. Someone else starts a radio service which works WORLDWIDE from the start where iTunes Radio doesn't.
      Are you from the U.S.? And if so, do you go overseas much? I don't.

      iTunes radio is free and has limited commercials. I don't care if it's not worldwide. It works pretty good.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
      Are you from the U.S.? And if so, do you go overseas much? I don't.

      iTunes radio is free and has limited commercials. I don't care if it's not worldwide. It works pretty good.
      Apple has already announced that iTunes Radio will be available in more countries by early 2014.
    1. therandy's Avatar
      therandy -
      Beats headphones are garbage! Like ^^^^ said, you're paying for the name! Isn't there enough steaming music apps out already?
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      I had a set of beats a few years ago and they are ok at best. Hardly worthy of a music app. The name has been worn out and I've had the hardware in my HTC One X along with the phones and don't see all the hype.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
      I had a set of beats a few years ago and they are ok at best. Hardly worthy of a music app. The name has been worn out and I've had the hardware in my HTC One X along with the phones and don't see all the hype.
      It's just a gimmick at this point. Some people, though, might actually think that music from them will magically sound better! LOL!

      This idea is just a few years too late...
    1. *T*'s Avatar
      *T* -
      That's a really bad idea. And I own Beats.
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      What are you even talking about?!?? Are you seriously arguing that an iPhone should have 5.1 surround? If so, that's absurd. Second, YOU will NEVER get surround sound from your laptop or HTC One. Surround is about speaker configuration, not, solely, on settings from source.

      I'd LOVE to see you sitting back on your couch fooling yourself into thinking you're fully immersed in a movie that you're watching on your laptop/phone.
      you obviously don't know what 5.1 means (the S4 supports 7.1 by the way) it means that It will support 5 speakers plus a sub woofer. my HTC One has 2 speakers but I play music from it with additional speakers and a woofer and the sound is superior to anything apple has to offer.

      my HP Envy has dual speakers and a sub woofer built in...again, superior to anything offered by apple.


      instead of sitting there being jealous, just ditch apple and get something better--there's plenty out there. Free your mind, your #ss will follow.

      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      Beats audio is essentially just an equalizer setting... its really not much more than that. Beats Audio doesn't support 5.1 so I am not sure where you are going with that. Not much of a reason to support 5.1 audio in a device with only 2 speakers. Apple selling Beats headphones has nothing to do with anything. The headphones are simply just that... headphones. They have big drivers to provide clear sound but nothing else, I am pretty sure that the iPhone and iPod support headphones.

      More info about your Beats audio: Beats Audio: Explained! - YouTube
      I don't know if beats supports 5.1 or not buy my HTC One does and the S4 supports 7.1 Ive plugged my iPhone (when I had one) into the same speaker set up that now plug my One and HP Envy into and there's simply no comparison whatsoever.

      The iPhone sounds like Im still listening through earbuds--cheap ones at that. the Envy and One fill the room with a deep and rich sound., sounds I cant even hear on an iPhone.

      I listen to Cradle of Filth mostly, they have a wide range of sound and you just cant hear it all on an iDevice.

      In addition, beats earphones an iPhone don't sound nearly as good as beats earphones on the HTC One. and that's not opinion, that's fact.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you obviously don't know what 5.1 means (the S4 supports 7.1 by the way) it means that It will support 5 speakers plus a sub woofer. my HTC One has 2 speakers but I play music from it with additional speakers and a woofer and the sound is superior to anything apple has to offer.

      my HP Envy has dual speakers and a sub woofer built in...again, superior to anything offered by apple.


      instead of sitting there being jealous, just ditch apple and get something better--there's plenty out there. Free your mind, your #ss will follow.
      Not jealous at all; I just didn't think you knew what 5.1 (or 7.1 for that matter) was. As stated in my post, its dependent on speakers so I'm not sure what you read there.

      Now let's dive deeper since you know the basic concept. 5.1 is speaker config but also must be recorded from the original source (movie, music, etc) in 5.1. Are you telling me that when I play a 5.1 movie from my iPhone on my surround sound system, that I do not get 5.1 surround? If I Airplay media, it certainly sounds like 5.1. So why do I hear it as opposed to sounding like earbuds??? Oh, that's right; because it was recorded in 5.1!!! Not sure where you got your info from but I have to disagree w/ your statement. In fact, THX even has an app to configure your 5.1 settings!
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Not jealous at all; I just didn't think you knew what 5.1 (or 7.1 for that matter) was. As stated in my post, its dependent on speakers so I'm not sure what you read there.

      Now let's dive deeper since you know the basic concept. 5.1 is speaker config but also must be recorded from the original source (movie, music, etc) in 5.1. Are you telling me that when I play a 5.1 movie from my iPhone on my surround sound system, that I do not get 5.1 surround? If I Airplay media, it certainly sounds like 5.1. So why do I hear it as opposed to sounding like earbuds??? Oh, that's right; because it was recorded in 5.1!!! Not sure where you got your info from but I have to disagree w/ your statement. In fact, THX even has an app to configure your 5.1 settings!
      Exactly right.., Thaz! I'm an audio pro 30 years runnin'.. And you explained it right.. Though some of the points you're making both you and Jon are making equally. You're just saying the same thing differently .
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      I don't know if beats supports 5.1 or not buy my HTC One does and the S4 supports 7.1 Ive plugged my iPhone (when I had one) into the same speaker set up that now plug my One and HP Envy into and there's simply no comparison whatsoever.

      The iPhone sounds like Im still listening through earbuds--cheap ones at that. the Envy and One fill the room with a deep and rich sound., sounds I cant even hear on an iPhone.

      I listen to Cradle of Filth mostly, they have a wide range of sound and you just cant hear it all on an iDevice.

      In addition, beats earphones an iPhone don't sound nearly as good as beats earphones on the HTC One. and that's not opinion, that's fact.
      I am not trying to be rude here but you are way over your head when trying to talk about audio and audio signal processing.

      Unless you have some other port(s) (ie. Toslink, HDMI, or multiple analog 3.5mm outputs) then you are not getting 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 audio from a cell phone or laptop even if you are playing back AC3 or DTS audio. A 3.5mm headphone port is analog and only supports 2 channels (maybe 3 if it also has an input channel for a microphone). This is why a sound card for a PC will have multiple 3.5mm ports, 3 of them for 5.1 audio and 5 of them for 7.1. Another option would be an Optical Toslink port that uses a fiber optic to send the 5.1 audio signal to a signal processor of some sort (receiver) that then sends then proper signal to each speaker.

      As said above you can AirPlay a movie from an iPhone with an encoded 5.1 track but it is not the iPhone processing that signal but the receiver on the other end of the Apple TV.

      On my Mac Pro I use a pair of Tritton AX Pro head phones connected via a Toslink cable. The head phones have a proprietary intermediate dolby digital signal processor that then sends the signal to the headset which has 4 speakers in each ear piece for true 5.1 audio. The signal processor also has a passthrough for speakers and it has 3 x 3.5mm ports (green, orange, black) to go to a computer speaker system that has the multiple 3.5mm inputs.
    1. NewdestinyX's Avatar
      NewdestinyX -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      I am not trying to be rude here but you are way over your head when trying to talk about audio and audio signal processing.

      Unless you have some other port(s) (ie. Toslink, HDMI, or multiple analog 3.5mm outputs) then you are not getting 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1 audio from a cell phone or laptop even if you are playing back AC3 or DTS audio. A 3.5mm headphone port is analog and only supports 2 channels (maybe 3 if it also has an input channel for a microphone). This is why a sound card for a PC will have multiple 3.5mm ports, 3 of them for 5.1 audio and 5 of them for 7.1. Another option would be an Optical Toslink port that uses a fiber optic to send the 5.1 audio signal to a signal processor of some sort (receiver) that then sends then proper signal to each speaker.

      As said above you can AirPlay a movie from an iPhone with an encoded 5.1 track but it is not the iPhone processing that signal but the receiver on the other end of the Apple TV.

      On my Mac Pro I use a pair of Tritton AX Pro head phones connected via a Toslink cable. The head phones have a proprietary intermediate dolby digital signal processor that then sends the signal to the headset which has 4 speakers in each ear piece for true 5.1 audio. The signal processor also has a passthrough for speakers and it has 3 x 3.5mm ports (green, orange, black) to go to a computer speaker system that has the multiple 3.5mm inputs.
      What HE said..
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
      Exactly right.., Thaz! I'm an audio pro 30 years runnin'.. And you explained it right.. Though some of the points you're making both you and Jon are making equally. You're just saying the same thing differently .
      Thanx, man! I, too, agree that JonG has 'some' things right but I don't understand where he's getting his info from.