• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Hacker Posts Video of iPhone 5 Jailbroken Untethered On iOS 6.1.4


    Earlier in the month, an iOS hacker by the name of winocm showed off a screenshot of an iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.4 running Cydia. That same hacker published a video to YouTube on Tuesday showing that his jailbreak works, and is indeed untethered. On the other hand, the jailbreak is preliminary and extremely buggy at this point in time, so it will need further refining.

    You can watch the hacker's small demonstration via the YouTube video below:



    For a mobile-friendly video link that works with our app, tap on the video link below:

    YouTube Video

    You can tell that the hacker isnít kidding when he says the jailbreak is preliminary and buggy right now. There appear to be numerous graphical glitches throughout the video. But from what it looks like, most of the features of the iPhone 5 seem to work, and Cydia also seems to work fine, so there is definitely some progress here.

    Notably, the exploits that winocm is using for the iOS 6.1.4 jailbreak in the video are not usable on iOS 7, so the exploits definitely arenít being wasted. The fact that he is working on a jailbreak for iOS 6.1.4 gives hope to those out there with iOS 6.1.4 that canít downgrade to iOS 6.1.2 or earlier and want to jailbreak.

    The hacker doesnít have an ETA for when this jailbreak may be available for users, but weíll keep you updated when we find out more.

    iOS 7 is coming out on Wednesday, September 18th... if you want a jailbreak really badly, then this might be one reason to hold off for now.

    Sources: winocm
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Hacker Posts Video of iPhone 5 Jailbroken Untethered On iOS 6.1.4 started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      +1
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Speak of the devil! Nice!!!
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      Yes!
    1. Mlitz69's Avatar
      Mlitz69 -
      Hope this Comes out soon, great work
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      I've played with 7 since beta 1 and can wait til this drops, whenever that is.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      people need to leave him alone to work on it, the less time he has to responds to idiots demanding it, the faster he will get it done and released

      hopefully nobody will upset him and make him not release
    1. smith01's Avatar
      smith01 -
      I can post a video of my iPad3 with IOS6.1.4 untethered jailbroken if you want to see it.

      And WHY work on an OLD IOS when there is a new one to jailbreak?
      How about everyone stop working on older firmwares and start trying to jailbreak the latest firmware. The more people working on it the sooner it will happen.

      Whats going to happen when he releases this jailbreak? Nobody is going to be interested as they would've all upgraded to IOS7 so its useless.
    1. Just Dummy's Avatar
      Just Dummy -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      I can post a video of my iPad3 with IOS6.1.4 untethered jailbroken if you want to see it.

      And WHY work on an OLD IOS when there is a new one to jailbreak?
      How about everyone stop working on older firmwares and start trying to jailbreak the latest firmware. The more people working on it the sooner it will happen.

      Whats going to happen when he releases this jailbreak? Nobody is going to be interested as they would've all upgraded to IOS7 so its useless.
      If that's the case just release yours to the public and everyone will leave him alone. Not everyone likes the iOS 7 look and is eager to upgrade.
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
      If that's the case just release yours to the public and everyone will leave him alone. Not everyone likes the iOS 7 look and is eager to upgrade.
      +1
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      I can post a video of my iPad3 with IOS6.1.4 untethered jailbroken if you want to see it.

      And WHY work on an OLD IOS when there is a new one to jailbreak?
      How about everyone stop working on older firmwares and start trying to jailbreak the latest firmware. The more people working on it the sooner it will happen.

      Whats going to happen when he releases this jailbreak? Nobody is going to be interested as they would've all upgraded to IOS7 so its useless.
      As I understand it, @winocm doesn't have the knowledge for finding exploits. He's using the 'already disclosed' exploits that Apple knows about (and patched in iOS 7) and has figured out how to get a jailbreak out of it. He also knows, that a lot of people are on 6.1.3/4 which makes it useful, at the moment.
    1. Adrian97c's Avatar
      Adrian97c -
      Useless & about 9 months late lol io7 JB plz
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Its NEVER useless. Many stay on older firmwares. Some because of preference but most do it for ability. "I can do this in this older firmware but I cannot do it on the latest firmware" Its all relevant IMHO.
    1. dsg's Avatar
      dsg -
      What we need is a new way to downgrade when Apple stops signing, then older firmwares with jailbrakes become very useful.

      All jailbrakes are relevant, it just depends who you are and which firmware you prefer

      Edit: and at least this guy is trying to do something about a firmware that wasn't jailbroken, that many people accidently or through purchase were stuck on and may want to stay on, because iOS 7 isn't very desirable to some
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      What we need is a new way to downgrade when Apple stops signing, then older firmwares with jailbrakes become very useful.

      All jailbrakes are relevant, it just depends who you are and which firmware you prefer

      Edit: and at least this guy is trying to do something about a firmware that wasn't jailbroken, that many people accidently or through purchase were stuck on and may want to stay on, because iOS 7 isn't very desirable to some
      That would be great if they found a way to always be able to downgrade the firmware.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
      What we need is a new way to downgrade when Apple stops signing, then older firmwares with jailbrakes become very useful.

      All jailbrakes are relevant, it just depends who you are and which firmware you prefer

      Edit: and at least this guy is trying to do something about a firmware that wasn't jailbroken, that many people accidently or through purchase were stuck on and may want to stay on, because iOS 7 isn't very desirable to some
      I still think that exact thing is what p0sixninja is working on. We'll see when HITB2013 comes in October
    1. politicalslug's Avatar
      politicalslug -
      This is great news! It would be awesome to have every version of iOS jailbreakable at the last possible iteration (6.1.3/6.1.4 for iOS 6) so any devices that can't upgrade (iPod Touch 4G for instance) are still usable, and any users who want to hang back can still enjoy the most up to date version with a JB.
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      I still think that exact thing is what p0sixninja is working on. We'll see when HITB2013 comes in October
      Sweet. What's hitb btw.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
      Sweet. What's hitb btw.
      Hack In The Box. It's a meeting for all types of Hackers/Devs to discuss security, exploits, etc
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
      Hack In The Box. It's a meeting for all types of Hackers/Devs to discuss security, exploits, etc
      Oh cool.
    1. kuanyu's Avatar
      kuanyu -
      I'm staying on ios6 for now. I'll jailbreak when winocm releases the 6.1.4 jb