• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 5 to Make Your Desktop Portable?


    We've talked before about Apple's plans to turn future iDevices into electronic wallets, allowing you to wave your phone over a reader to pay for things. Now, there's an unsourced report claiming that Apple has a much more "revolutionary" goal: putting your entire desktop on your phone so that any Mac can become your Mac.

    Leander Kahney at Cult of Mac shared the interesting revelations from a source that asks to be anonymous in a report today entitled "iPhone 5 Will Enable Ambitious Remote Computing Program." According to the source, the iPhone 5 will allow a user to "carry a lot of their desktop data and settings with them," and by merely placing their iDevice in close proximity to a compatible Mac, will be able to "load all their applications, settings and data," and "essentially turn any Apple computer into your own - like you're actually working on your own computer."

    This is no mere Back to My Mac concept, the source claims, but a true cloning on your home directory on a different computer. "The user would have full access to their information in the same manner they would if they were working from home," the source continues, "even showing the same desktop picture, mouse and keyboard settings, and would eventually extend to software licenses and passwords for websites such as Facebook." And when you walk away, your data leaves with you: "All communications and storage of passwords stays on the users iPhone, leaving nothing stored on the computer."

    There's a lot that's left unsaid in this sketchy report. For one thing, obviously I wouldn't be able to load my entire 200GB home directory on any iDevice, so presumably it'd be used as more of an authentication key to data stored in the cloud. If so, this would be in line with other patent applications and rumors indicating future iPhones will be used to replace physical keys. Patents concerning technology that would allow cloud-based syncing have also been revealed over the past year, indicating that Apple's working on the networking protocols that would be required to support such a capability. And given that iTunes in the cloud has not emerged and doesn't seem to be on the horizon, this would explain Apple's need for not one, but two (maybe three) monster data centers in the North Carolina hills.

    Wild rumor, sure, but this is a much closer match to the mysterious "revolutionary" feature that Apple hinted at in a job posting a few months ago than anything we've seen so far. Even if this rumor's not true in every particular, based on the various patent applications that have been documented it's almost a lock that Apple is working on something similar, though perhaps slated for release further in the future than the iPhone 5 in 2011.

    Source: Cult of Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 5 to Make Your Desktop Portable? started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 40 Comments
    1. HappyMac's Avatar
      HappyMac -
      O.o
    1. dotFIVE's Avatar
      dotFIVE -
      Definitely an intriguing concept, for sure. It'll stink if you get your iPhone stolen though. It'll be interesting to see how they'll port all of the apps to the iPhone... I don't think hefty ones such as Final Cut and Photoshop will be available though (besides, I don't think producers will be looking on their iPhones to create their productions).
    1. Cowboy's Avatar
      Cowboy -
      Will be crazy cool if it does it
    1. mvhurlburt's Avatar
      mvhurlburt -
      Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
      Definitely an intriguing concept, for sure. It'll stink if you get your iPhone stolen though. It'll be interesting to see how they'll port all of the apps to the iPhone... I don't think hefty ones such as Final Cut and Photoshop will be available though (besides, I don't think producers will be looking on their iPhones to create their productions).
      What? Did you read the article or just the headline? It's about making a users home directory portable with an iPhone and then usable on any MAC. They're not trying to put all of your Mac apps on your iOS device. The idevice will likely act as a key and perhaps store a small amount of settings to allow access to the cloud... Probably what that massive NC data center is for and why we only got to see a few features of Lion with now dev previews!
    1. citopr's Avatar
      citopr -
      Well I'll be darn... I'm still enjoying the cool features of my iPhone 4.. I am portable with LogMeIn.. Looking forward to seeing what apple has up their sleeves..
    1. dotFIVE's Avatar
      dotFIVE -
      Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
      What? Did you read the article or just the headline? It's about making a users home directory portable with an iPhone and then usable on any MAC. They're not trying to put all of your Mac apps on your iOS device. The idevice will likely act as a key and perhaps store a small amount of settings to allow access to the cloud... Probably what that massive NC data center is for and why we only got to see a few features of Lion with now dev previews!
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
      and by merely placing their iDevice in close proximity to a compatible Mac, will be able to "load all their applications, settings and data," and "essentially turn any Apple computer into your own - like you're actually working on your own computer."

      This is no mere Back to My Mac concept, the source claims, but a true cloning on your home directory on a different computer. "The user would have full access to their information in the same manner they would if they were working from home,"
    1. AmadeusKaelPyralis's Avatar
      AmadeusKaelPyralis -
      Most of this is useless. Four words:Log. Me. In. Ignition.

      And if you pay for it you can get most of these features anyhow.
    1. CaptBojank's Avatar
      CaptBojank -
      I don't live or work in an area with 3G. No cloud for me with Edge.

      No 3G with Verizon here either.
    1. mallenass's Avatar
      mallenass -
      i call fake on this one..
    1. reanimationxp's Avatar
      reanimationxp -
      Quote Originally Posted by AmadeusKaelPyralis View Post
      Most of this is useless. Four words:Log. Me. In. Ignition.

      And if you pay for it you can get most of these features anyhow.
      sort of agree. i guess now i get to decide between screen refreshing lag or file-loading lag.
    1. athleticswimmer's Avatar
      athleticswimmer -
      cool concept..but not sure if I want it? well of course I want it but how will it all work out? cant wait to see what apple has on this one
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Its called LogMeIn Ignition, its $29.99 on the app store, available for iOS and Android and gives you full use of your desktop in the palm of your hand. Now why do you need to buy a new phone again, oh thats right, because $teve Job$ tells you to.
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
      Its called LogMeIn Ignition, its $29.99 on the app store, available for iOS and Android and gives you full use of your desktop in the palm of your hand. Now why do you need to buy a new phone again, oh thats right, because $teve Job$ tells you to.
      What they are talking about is different. No Internet needed to access your computer. Hence the cloud concept and or the ghost concept.
    1. klouud's Avatar
      klouud -
      So basically its like remote desktop from another computer. This is nice... but its more like an added bonus than a selling point. One of those utilities that you don't use much but is great if you need it.

      tim
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
      You ok? Lol
    1. hollow0's Avatar
      hollow0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
      What they are talking about is different. No Internet needed to access your computer. Hence the cloud concept and or the ghost concept.
      I think you're missing something here.....
    1. sonofchocula's Avatar
      sonofchocula -
      I think you'll find between all this cloud business (lets not forget the GIANT facility they built on the east coast) and OS X 10.7 this will be completely do-able but not without its share of hang ups and security flaws.
    1. BennyPR's Avatar
      BennyPR -
      Apple's next-gen iPhone rumored with RFID-enabled 'remote computing'
      By Sam Oliver
      Published: 02:00 PM EST


      The addition of a near-field communication chip to Apple's next-generation iPhone would add not only "e-wallet" transactions, but also the ability to securely turn a nearby Mac into your own computer, complete with custom settings and personal passwords, according to a new rumor.

      Citing an anonymous source, Cult of Mac reported Monday that Apple is working on near-field communication technology for both its smartphone and future Macs. The functionality is rumored to appear in Apple's next iPhone, expected to launch in June 2011.

      The source said an iPhone with near-field communications like an RFID chip could be used within proximity of a Mac, allowing users to load applications, settings and data on the Mac from the phone. When the iPhone is taken away from the proximity of the computer, the data would disappear with it.

      "The Mac authenticates with the iPhone, which contains a lot of the information the computer needs, such as bookmarks, passwords and other data," the source reportedly said. "The system would essentially turn any Apple computer into your own -- like you're actually working on your own computer. Same settings, look, bookmarks, preferences. It would all be invisible. Your iPhone would be all you needed to unlock your Mac."

      The information contained on the phone would reportedly include contacts, desktop picture, mouse and keyboard settings, website passwords, and even software licenses. Taking the iPhone away from the proximity of the computer would then restore the Mac to its original state.

      The source indicated that Apple is interested in making it easy for users to carry all of their information with them, but that task has become difficult as file sizes and the amount of data continues to grow. They said it's possible that Apple could store larger files in the cloud, while the basics like passwords and documents would be contained on the phone.

      Last week, a report alleged that Apple is developing a new open SIM for its next-generation iPhone, which would allow one handset to work with multiple carriers. It was also speculated that the technology from a partnership with Gemalto could also enable contactless transactions through an integrated RFID chip.

      Rumors of an RFID-enabled iPhone have existed for some time, though the product has not yet come to be. However, Apple has filed patents related to near-field communications, including an application in July that described a system allowing users to rely on NFC functionality in the iPhone to research products and quickly find helpful information, such as an instruction manual.

      Apple has also hired experts on near-field communications, and was even rumored to be testing iPhone models with RFID chips as recently as August.

      Cult of Mac's source indicated that Apple has been working on RFID-equipped products and its "remote computing" technology for some time, but cautioned that it may never become a part of the company's products. But the adoption of near-field communications could be a superior alternative to other short-range wireless technologies, like Bluetooth, because of a simpler and faster secure authentication system.
    1. Christian Bale's Avatar
      Christian Bale -
      Nice but I've been good since my iPhone 3G with iTeleport(or Jaadu VNC)
    1. zim_from_IPH's Avatar
      zim_from_IPH -
      Lol simpalized vnc. I don't know it doesn't seam like a feature more like an idea or a thought sure it is possible practical no. Think of the amount of bandwith it would use. Apple has all these good ideas it is just other companies holding them back. Like the appletv in canada. It honestly isn't that good here. WE HAVE TO PAY PER MB. so the cost adds up so much