• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Lion: "The Power of Mac OS X, The Magic of iPad"


    Apple previewed the next version of OS X during its Back to the Mac event in Cupertino today. The eighth major update to Mac OS X was christened Lion - following the big-cat nomenclature that has been used since 10.0 Cheetah was released in 2001 - and is said to be "inspired by many of iPad's software innovations." A host of new features were announced, including Launchpad, the OS X equivalent of the iOS Home screen; full screen apps a la iOS; and Mission Control, which is sort of a mash-up of Exposť, Dashboard, and Spaces that allows you to navigate your Mac with multi-touch gestures. In an interesting - and potentially alarming - development, Apple also announced a "Mac App Store" along the lines of the iOS App Store. It's unclear at this time if earlier reports that only Apple-signed apps will be able to run on 10.7 will pan out; though Steve Jobs reportedly denied this, he also denied that there would ever be a Mac App Store.

    The "Back to the Mac" theme apparently encompasses both a renewed focus on the Mac OS X platform and the process of how iOS innovations have filtered back into Apple's desktop operating system. "We're inspired by innovations in the iPhone and iPad," said Steve Jobs from the stage, "and are bringing them back to the Mac." Following a trend that has been underway for some time with products like the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad, multi-touch interaction is getting a major boost with Lion, which will feature iPad-like full-screen mode for apps. However, he downplayed any expectation of touchscreen Macs. "Multi-touch on a laptop doesn't work," Jobs asserted. "Touch surfaces don't want to be vertical, like on a desktop monitor. After a while, your hands get fatigued." Therefore, the new functions will continue to be controlled from mice and trackpads.

    The Launchpad seems to be more an homage to the iPad than a productivity feature: one click on the icon makes all of your windows disappear and a gridded view of all your apps comes up. Like the Home screen, you can swipe through multiple pages of apps. It's not clear how this is better than the Dock, or scrolling through items in the Applications folder; again, this seems more aimed at people who like their iDevices and never used Mac OS X before.

    Sticking with the "space program" theme, the new program manager is called "Mission Control." It reminds me of nothing quite so much as a desktop version of Multifl0w. In fact, like that app switcher, Mission Control is inspired by Exposť, bringing a unified view of all your open windows and incorporating Dashboard and Spaces into the same interface as the Mac OS X full-screen switcher. You activate it with a swipe gesture, tap to bring up a particular element, and swipe again to return to Mission Control.

    The Mac App Store sounds potentially like a plus for Mac OS X developers, giving users a single location to download programs, which are automatically installed and added to the Launchpad. The only potential hazard here is if an unsubstantiated report from earlier this year turns out to be true. The renegade OS X programmers at Rixstep (developers of the Xfile Finder replacement) claimed in a blog post back in April that "10.7 will have kernel support for ('insistence on') binaries signed with Apple's root certificate," emphasizing that "no software will be able to run on Mac OS X 10.7 without being approved and signed by Apple, Inc." An Italian dev wrote Steve Jobs to ask about the report, saying that "There's a rumor saying there will be a Mac App Store and no software without authorization from Apple will run on Mac OS X. Is that true?" In his typical laconic style, Jobs replied "Nope." But here's the rub: the question asked two things, will there be a Mac App Store and will unauthorized software be blocked. We already know that there will be a Mac App Store, so either the "nope" referred to unauthorized software or Steve was just lying. And even if the former was the case... it could be that unauthorized software will run, but only signed binaries will be allowed on the App Store. Which is a step n the wrong direction, for so many reasons.

    While Lion is due out in summer of next year, the Mac App Store will be compatible with Snow Leopard and will launch in 90 days. Apple will begin accepting app submissions next month.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Lion: "The Power of Mac OS X, The Magic of iPad" started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 56 Comments
    1. xwinger's Avatar
      xwinger -
      so excite! can't wait
    1. StealthBravo's Avatar
      StealthBravo -
      Can't wait to get my hands on a beta
    1. CX3NT3_713's Avatar
      CX3NT3_713 -
      I guess I'll buy a "mini Mac" then ,
    1. Devilish4eveR's Avatar
      Devilish4eveR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post


      The renegade OS X programmers at Rixstep (developers of the Xfile Finder replacement) claimed in a blog post back in April that "10.7 will have kernel support for ('insistence on') binaries signed with Apple's root certificate," emphasizing that "no software will be able to run on Mac OS X 10.7 without being approved and signed by Apple, Inc." An Italian dev wrote Steve Jobs to ask about the report, saying that "There's a rumor saying there will be a Mac App Store and no software without authorization from Apple will run on Mac OS X. Is that true?" In his typical laconic style, Jobs replied "Nope." But here's the rub: the question asked two things, will there be a Mac App Store and will unauthorized software be blocked. We already know that there will be a Mac App Store, so either the "nope" referred to unauthorized software or Steve was just lying. And even if the former was the case... it could be that unauthorized software will run, but only signed binaries will be allowed on the App Store. Which is a step n the wrong direction, for so many reasons.
      I sooooo HOPE this is not true I tell you!!!
    1. LSZ33's Avatar
      LSZ33 -
      looking forward to next summer. OS X Lion & iPhone 5.
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Poor choice in naming...

      Cheetah: fast. Leopard: stealthy and deadly. Lion: lazy f*ck. Anyone over 6 knows that male lions don't do squat except fight other males and make little lions. At least the image should have been of a female lion -- ripping the throat out of a gazelle!
    1. holygamer22's Avatar
      holygamer22 -
      why is that themac appstore a step back?
    1. magusxxx's Avatar
      magusxxx -
      I keep having "The Veldt" flashbacks.

      The Veldt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1. bignighttrain's Avatar
      bignighttrain -
      Jailbreak your MacBook Air can't wait it's like they just made my next two years it's another game changer how dose apple expect the comp to keep up.
    1. h2a's Avatar
      h2a -
      Quote Originally Posted by bignighttrain View Post
      Jailbreak your MacBook Air can't wait it's like they just made my next two years it's another game changer how dose apple expect the comp to keep up.
      what is happening in this sentence right now?
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Very nice, still behind though, I didn't even get snow leopard
    1. CaptBojank's Avatar
      CaptBojank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
      I sooooo HOPE this is not true I tell you!!!
      If you watched the webcast, you would notice he said that the app store is not the only place to get apps, it's in addition to what is already and will still be available. There will be no walled garden.

      Now, as far as what is allowed on the app store. That is, and should be, up to apple.
    1. truenorth's Avatar
      truenorth -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      cheetah: Fast. Leopard: Stealthy and deadly. Lion: Lazy f*ck.
      roflmao!
    1. chuk12chuk's Avatar
      chuk12chuk -
      Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
      what is happening in this sentence right now?
      LOL!

      And, if through an "app store" was the only way to get lion software, its called a monopoly (look it up) and its illegal. It wont be the only source, if one at all.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Wow, the iPad copies the iPhone and now the Mac
    1. DevouredDreams's Avatar
      DevouredDreams -
      Quote Originally Posted by chuk12chuk View Post
      LOL!

      And, if through an "app store" was the only way to get lion software, its called a monopoly (look it up) and its illegal. It wont be the only source, if one at all.
      Monopoly is buying all the competition not keeping if from you.. If it was a monopoly they would of got in trouble a long time ago for the ipod/iphone they are allowed only apps on their that they design its their patent
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      Unknown...
    1. reanimationxp's Avatar
      reanimationxp -
      And Apple slowly takes away some more of your freedom. Next it will be "This year's Macbook Air runs OSX, but only applications approved for it in the McAppStore. We did this to ensure a great user experience with every application!"

      Keep us oohing and ahhing while stabbing us in the back. Anyone who's not a dumbass is onto you, Steve. We all saw this coming. PC for life and loving it.

      Can't wait to crack the now-centralized DRM on your AppStore just so all the devs will hate you for your new "innovation". Devs, stay the hell away from this unless you feel like giving your app away. Macstall0us is on the horizon.
    1. Xenthis's Avatar
      Xenthis -
      I agree... Apple seems to think that restrictions make a computer/ mobile device easier to use.. Macs make me feel like I am in prison.. I just had to buy an iPod Touch 4g because my <1 yr old iPod Touch 2g was running slow!
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
      I agree... Apple seems to think that restrictions make a computer/ mobile device easier to use.. Macs make me feel like I am in prison.. I just had to buy an iPod Touch 4g because my <1 yr old iPod Touch 2g was running slow!
      bdbbdbdbd---huh?

      'Macs make you feel like you are in a prison', and Windows doesn't?
      That idea needs expansion. I went to a Mac to get OUT of prison. I have much more control over what happens on my Mac than I ever did in Windows. Between scripting/automator, .plist files, the wealth of Linux/Unix tools... show me where the bars are...

      I totally agree with the theme of the 'jail' on iDevices... but it's not there on the computers... yet. And I don't see it coming. If it does, I will scream loudly.