• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Jailbreak Utility TinyUmbrella Gets Big Update


    Jailbreak utility TinyUmbrella got a big update today. Version 4.1.9 is now available for Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. TinyUmbrella is a staple tool in the Jailbreak community. With the ability to save SHSH blobs, TinyUmbrella allows jailbreakers the ability to downgrade to a previous iOS version if necessary. This can be useful when users want to jailbreak their iOS devices, but have upgraded their software to an unsupported version. Users must save their SHSH blobs before upgrading to the latest iOS version, if they want to be able to downgrade later.

    Currently, users looking to unlock their iPhones cannot use TinyUmbrella to do this. According to the TinyUmbrella blog:

    “DO NOT USE TINYUMBRELLA in an attempt to save your baseband. It will not work. The baseband protection is for iPhone 4 *ONLY*.”

    TinyUmbrella now has a totally redesigned interface for all operating systems and new application artwork by iOPK of Dev Team. As a result, the software now has a much cleaner look and feel. Other new features include:
    • Spinny Icon code (thanks to technomage)
    • Quaqua look and feel (sorry mac only due to license restrictions)
    • Now all devices detected by TinyUmbrella are saved for future use!
    • You can remove them as well (Right click -> delete from history)
    • You can save SHSH with known devices as well (No more requirement for the device to be connected)
    • If you connect a device in recovery mode you can still kick it out of recovery (Right click -> Kick out of recovery)
    • Save SHSH now saves ALL SHSHs available at Cydia with one button press!
    • Change SHSH save directory
    • Proxies (Web and Socks) for those that need them!
    • Better port 80 detection.
    TinyUmbrella continues to be one of the best tools available for the jailbreak community. With this update, TinyUmbrella continues to refine the processes of saving useful iPhone SHSH data. People wanting to upgrade to the latest and greatest iOS can do so without fear of not being able to go back, if necessary. Without this ability to downgrade, jailbreaking an iPhone would be a much more hectic endeavor. TinyUmbrella gives people the confidence to jailbreak their iPhone knowing they will be able to turn back the clock if they have to. Wouldn’t it be great if everything were so easy.

    Source: Cult of Mac
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jailbreak Utility TinyUmbrella Gets Big Update started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 49 Comments
    1. JimJam707's Avatar
      JimJam707 -
      Thanks for the heads up
    1. Aldog18's Avatar
      Aldog18 -
      Thanks for this post!
    1. MindGem's Avatar
      MindGem -
      Nothing really WOW for me, since I am an Windows user and I only care about the deisgn.
    1. XFaega's Avatar
      XFaega -
      Awesome tool. Saved me many times.
    1. MindGem's Avatar
      MindGem -
      Oh, and the new UI looks great.
    1. delusion950's Avatar
      delusion950 -
      i got it an hour ago. good news. tx
    1. dennisdionisio's Avatar
      dennisdionisio -
      If my ip4 version is 4.1 and I will back up my SHSH now, would I be able to downgrade to 4.0.1 and then unlock it?
    1. reddawg's Avatar
      reddawg -
      I have noticed that recent versions of Tiny Umbrella and version 4.1.9 do not clean up the hosts file on your Windows or Mac computer. When you run TinyUmbrella and save your SHSH blobs to Cydia and to your local computer, it modifies your hosts file and adds the following line:

      74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

      After closing TinyUmbrella, there should be no reference to gs.apple.com, like 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com.
    1. marccarl21's Avatar
      marccarl21 -
      Great. Just used it to update and kept bb.....cheers
    1. risingkazuya05's Avatar
      risingkazuya05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dennisdionisio View Post
      If my ip4 version is 4.1 and I will back up my SHSH now, would I be able to downgrade to 4.0.1 and then unlock it?
      Have u saved ur 4.0.1 SHSH blob in the past, either on TU or Cydia? If not then, no. Wait for the unlock from Dev Team when 4.2 drops.
    1. my1past1is1ur1future's Avatar
      my1past1is1ur1future -
      guys is there away to backup my cydia stuff? i tried aptbackup and pkgbackup but both didn't work on my iphone 4 ios4.1
    1. roy4423's Avatar
      roy4423 -
      Will this save my 3.2.2 on my iPad? I'm currently on 3.2.1
    1. goodluck4287's Avatar
      goodluck4287 -
      Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
      I have noticed that recent versions of Tiny Umbrella and version 4.1.9 do not clean up the hosts file on your Windows or Mac computer. When you run TinyUmbrella and save your SHSH blobs to Cydia and to your local computer, it modifies your hosts file and adds the following line:

      74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

      After closing TinyUmbrella, there should be no reference to gs.apple.com, like 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com.
      Read the full instructions. It's actually a feature of the program.
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      This looks good, since I forgot to save my SHSHs with with saurik and need this
    1. Poseidon79's Avatar
      Poseidon79 -
      Quote Originally Posted by roy4423 View Post
      Will this save my 3.2.2 on my iPad? I'm currently on 3.2.1
      Yes.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. mikerlx's Avatar
      mikerlx -
      This is all brilliant and helpful stuff!!
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      OR you can simply NOT update your phone unless there's a jailbreak for it. I've been jailbreaking for years and there has never been a time when I've needed to downgrade anything.

      This seems like a nice tool if one is prone to F*ing things up.
    1. mortopher's Avatar
      mortopher -
      Slow news day? The big update was version 4.1.8 that came out a couple of days ago. 4.1.9 is merely a few bug fixes.

      Either way, I love the new version. I had my hdd crap out on me the other day so I had to reformat it and lost all the stored blobs that I had. The "save all shsh blobs" option is very very nice. Great job Semaphore!
    1. dennisdionisio's Avatar
      dennisdionisio -
      Quote Originally Posted by risingkazuya05 View Post
      Have u saved ur 4.0.1 SHSH blob in the past, either on TU or Cydia? If not then, no. Wait for the unlock from Dev Team when 4.2 drops.
      nope. i got the phone with 4.1 version. thanks for the info
    1. kuhndsn's Avatar
      kuhndsn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
      OR you can simply NOT update your phone unless there's a jailbreak for it. I've been jailbreaking for years and there has never been a time when I've needed to downgrade anything.

      This seems like a nice tool if one is prone to F*ing things up.
      True. However there are several that update to beta test new fm. Or have to do a restore because the phone crapped out. But aside from that you are correct. Most update just because and then complain and expect the devs to hurry for them.