• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • AT&T Posts 2Q 2013 Earnings - $32 Billion Revenue, 6.8M Smartphones, 3.7M iPhones


    AT&T, the second largest U.S. carrier recently posted its earnings for the second quarter of 2013, which ended up meeting Wall Street expectations while selling a record 6.8 million smartphones. For the second quarter of 2013, AT&T activated at least 3.7 million iPhones. The exact number isn’t known however because executives declined to get specific during their quarterly conference call on Tuesday, despite the fact that the carrier has offered such data in the past.

    The company did reveal that iPhone activations grew year over year. Another fact we do know is that the total iPhone sales reached 3.7 million in the June quarter of 2012.

    On the other hand, the nation’s number one carrier, Verizon, announced last week that it activated 3.8 million iPhones. Apple’s smartphone accounted for more than 50% of both telecoms’ smartphone activations. AT&T noted that the previous three-month period saw record Android handset sales, while smartphones as a whole accounted for 88% of postpaid phone sales for the quarter.

    AT&T added 551,000 postpaid customers, which is the company’s best performance in that sector since 2008, while 35% of those were LTE-enabled smartphones. As for the telecom’s data network performance, it was up 50% year-over-year per device, a number that is likely to continue to grow as AT&T builds out its LTE capabilities throughout the rest of 2013. By the end of the year, the network is expected to cover almost 270 million POPs with the project be largely complete by mid-2014.

    Source: AT&T (Press Release)
    This article was originally published in forum thread: AT&T Posts 2Q 2013 Earnings - $32 Billion Revenue, 6.8M Smartphones, 3.7M iPhones started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 8 Comments
    1. Jahooba's Avatar
      Jahooba -
      Edit: Oh this news is for AT&T, not Apple. I haven't had my coffee yet!
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Pretty impressive for iphones since the 5 is almost a year old now and there have been several new flagship android handsets during the quarter.

      The Android community's reaction to the Verizon news was that Verizon "doesn't have any good android phones" despite having the S4. I wonder what their response to this will be. I'm guessing fall back onto global numbers, which include super-cheap Android handsets less wealthy countries can generally only afford.
    1. ifonemaniac's Avatar
      ifonemaniac -
      Pretty sweet buuuuuuut android is still killing apple

      Source: Samsung Smartphone Sales Q2 2013: Samsung now crushing Apple’s iPhone | BGR
    1. bigboyz's Avatar
      bigboyz -
      Funny to me they have all these billions but can't give you a decent phone plan. When i say decent I mean fair.
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by ifonemaniac View Post
      Pretty sweet buuuuuuut android is still killing apple

      Source: Samsung Smartphone Sales Q2 2013: Samsung now crushing Apple’s iPhone | BGR
      buuuuuuuuuut you're still a hairly little troll.

      It's really comparing Apple's and oranges because Sammy pumps out a lot of crappy little budget phones they can pedal in less wealthy countries. Apple doesn't get in to that segment (yet)

      Here in the US with two of the 3-4 major carriers reporting Apple is absolutely crushing Samsung. And considering it was in a quarter where Sammy had a brand new flagship handset and Apple didn't, that says a lot.
    1. abchoudhry's Avatar
      abchoudhry -
      Quote Originally Posted by ifonemaniac View Post
      Pretty sweet buuuuuuut android is still killing apple

      Source: Samsung Smartphone Sales Q2 2013: Samsung now crushing Apple’s iPhone | BGR
      That's comparing Volkswagen to Porsche or tesla.

      That's comparing Walmart restaurants to a Michelin star.

      That's comparing swatch to rolexes.

      That's comparing Gap to Armani.

      That's comparing coke to Evian.

      Some examples might be extreme but you get the point. If you don't (chances of that are high since you argue with volumes) what this means is that comparing one good product with an entire range of mediocre products on volumes shipped and then being proud of it and then announcing it on a public forum- is pretty desperate, dumb and pathetic.
    1. stolenpentium's Avatar
      stolenpentium -
      Quote Originally Posted by ifonemaniac View Post
      Pretty sweet buuuuuuut android is still killing apple

      Source: Samsung Smartphone Sales Q2 2013: Samsung now crushing Apple’s iPhone | BGR
      Read the above, thx

      Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
      Funny to me they have all these billions but can't give you a decent phone plan. When i say decent I mean fair.
      Touché
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      Pretty impressive for iphones since the 5 is almost a year old now and there have been several new flagship android handsets during the quarter.

      The Android community's reaction to the Verizon news was that Verizon "doesn't have any good android phones" despite having the S4. I wonder what their response to this will be. I'm guessing fall back onto global numbers, which include super-cheap Android handsets less wealthy countries can generally only afford.
      1. I don't have 20/20 vision but where in this article does it say these are all iPhone 5 sales? AT&T still sells the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 4--for FREE or dirt cheap.

      2. as for Android's global numbers, it keeps growing while apple's is shrinking. so even if you'd like to believe that the world is full of cheap Android phones--how does that explain why apple's market share has plummeted? apple is now down to just 12% world wide and I think it was about 17% earlier this year.

      3. In Q2 2013 apple sold 27M iPhones, in that same period Samsung sold 71M with 23M of those being the Galaxy S4. I didn't look up the numbers for the S3 and the Note 2 but I'm sure the S3 is not far behind the S4 and the Note 2 is probably just under double digits.

      4. AT&T sold 6.8M Android phones and if you look at AT&T's website or go into their stores, you are NOT going to find those Android 2.2 boost mobile phones that you seem to think makes up the bulk of Android phones.

      5. If inexpensive is a model that works then why not use it? isn't apple coming out with a cheap plastic iPhone later this year to cater to less wealthy markets?

      Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
      buuuuuuuuuut you're still a hairly little troll.

      It's really comparing Apple's and oranges because Sammy pumps out a lot of crappy little budget phones they can pedal in less wealthy countries. Apple doesn't get in to that segment (yet)

      Here in the US with two of the 3-4 major carriers reporting Apple is absolutely crushing Samsung. And considering it was in a quarter where Sammy had a brand new flagship handset and Apple didn't, that says a lot.
      iPhone sales means all iPhones not just the iPhone 5.

      also, what "lot of crappy little budget phones" does Samsung sell in the US?