• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • iPhone 4 Soon to be Top Camera on Flickr


    Currently, the most popular camera used to upload pictures to Flickr is the Nikon D90, a fine DSLR that costs over a thousand dollars. But in about a month or so, if trends continue, Appleís iPhone 4 will take the lead as the most popular camera on Flickr. The Nikon D90 has been out for about three years now and has sold very well, but the iPhone 4, which has been out for under a year and is considerably less expensive, is about to take the top spot on Flickr.

    Itís really not too surprising, however, as many people keep their iPhoneís with them most the time. A big, heavy, DSLR, may take much higher quality photos, but they canít compete with the convenience of a smartphone. The iPhoneís camera has progressively gotten better and better over the years. Now the images produced with the iPhone 4 are really quite good, especially for a camera with a microscopic lens.

    You would think that regular point and shoot cameras would be right at the top of the list on Flickr as well, but this is not the case. Point and shoot camera sales have actually been on the decline in recent years and the majority of camera manufactures may one day stop producing them altogether, if this trend continues.

    The iPhone also takes the top three spots when it comes to the most popular camera phones, as well. The HTC Evo 4G and Droid Incredible round out the list at number four and five. Surprisingly, the older model iPhone 3G is in second place ahead of the 3GS model, even though it only has a two megapixel camera.



    With so many cameras available today that are capable of taking great looking pictures, itís not too surprising to find that convenience has trumped quality. Just about any point and shoot camera will deliver better image results than a smartphone, but who wants to carry an extra electronic device if you donít have too. Professional photographer Chase Jarvis recently published a photography book where the only camera that he used was an iPhone. The book is aptly titled, ď[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Best-Camera-One-Thats-You/dp/0321684788"]The Best Camera Is The One That's With You[/ame].Ē Flickr users would apparently agree.

    Source: TechCrunch
    This article was originally published in forum thread: iPhone 4 Soon to be Top Camera on Flickr started by Wiley John Wright View original post
    Comments 29 Comments
    1. Colby21's Avatar
      Colby21 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
      I don't think it really matters which camera is at the top and my iPhone 4 camera is very good on my iPhone. The droids suck even if they have 8 MP cameras. All of the iPhones beet the droids because droids should die.

      LMAO! Conclusion and premise clearly presented in this argument.
    1. GmAz's Avatar
      GmAz -
      Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
      12MP and 1080p @ 60fps? And where did you read that nonsense? I've not seen anything so outlandish on any respectable gadget sites. Try again.



      What? I think you mean increase MP to decrease quality. With less light available to each pixel, quality becomes inversely proportional to resolution on tiny camera sensors.
      OmniVision unveils new 12.6MP sensor for cameraphones - GSMArena.com news

      Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
      LMAO! Conclusion and premise clearly presented in this argument.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Russian View Post
      I don't think it really matters which camera is at the top and my iPhone 4 camera is very good on my iPhone. The droids suck even if they have 8 MP cameras. All of the iPhones beet the droids because droids should die.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      Sorry bud, but my DroidX takes fabulous pictures. I have three of them printed 8.5x11 borderless on my wall at work right now and they are stunning. I've had more compliments not only on the subject matter (my kids), but they are amazing it was taken on my phone. Blame the picture taker, not the camera.



      Also, the iPhone camera is only topping the charts because everybody and their 10 year old kid has an iPhone now and is flooding flickr with pictures, good or bad. How many people do you know has an SLR camera...you know, the type of cameras that are on the rest of that graph. Anyone that has an interest in photography, either as a business or a hobby woulnd't use an iPhone for a camera instead of an SLR. Also, people that use SLRs only post their best photos, not every image on the cameraroll.
    1. Mr. Russian's Avatar
      Mr. Russian -
      So why do less people have the droid than the iPhone. The sensors on the camera count more than the megapixels and the iPhone has better sensors on the camera than the droid even though it has less megapixels.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
      It is possible for it to be fact that something is judgmental. My saying that they are judgmental isn't a judgmental statement when it has been proven in the past in the Gizmodo community. I'm a starred user there, and I know what is going on. Unless you are as well and can enlighten me, please keep your trolling at bay.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      Wow you're a starred user!!!!
      Pathetic and funny that you think your star means anything and exempts you from doing the very thing you say gizmo does. As you can also see I'm not the only one that thought your post was silly. So move your little lecture onto someone else because I really don't give a hooties cow about your little star. Good day sir.
    1. cocotherat's Avatar
      cocotherat -
      Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
      I like Gizmodo
      lol me too
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Awesome

      Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
      ....has nothing to do with modifying my i device....
      Huh???
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      I like how the x and y axis are blank so you know there's been lots of research into this
    1. Lombardo Joe's Avatar
      Lombardo Joe -
      Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
      Wow you're a starred user!!!!
      Pathetic and funny that you think your star means anything and exempts you from doing the very thing you say gizmo does. As you can also see I'm not the only one that thought your post was silly. So move your little lecture onto someone else because I really don't give a hooties cow about your little star. Good day sir.
      The point of what I said was not the star. Anyone who hangs out there for more than a week can get a star. I'm not here to fight with you. You are correct that my post was opinion. I get that, and I've never claimed it wasn't. But you attacking me in that manner is one of the other main reasons I left Gizmodo. I'd like to kindly ask you to get off my balls now.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    1. rkswat's Avatar
      rkswat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lombardo Joe View Post
      The point of what I said was not the star. Anyone who hangs out there for more than a week can get a star. I'm not here to fight with you. You are correct that my post was opinion. I get that, and I've never claimed it wasn't. But you attacking me in that manner is one of the other main reasons I left Gizmodo. I'd like to kindly ask you to get off my balls now.


      Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Rjn6W9jYk&feature=related]YouTube - Good Day[/ame]