According to the state-run Xinhua News Agency, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone while it was charging. Authorities are still said to be examining the situation and trying to figure out whether it was the mobile phone which caused the electrocution. Not surprisingly, the family is seeking compensation from Apple over the whole ordeal. The older sister of the victim demanded an explanation from Apple over the incident on the Chinese social network Sina Weibo. She had written the following:
(I) hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.
The Cupertino California company was quick to issue a statement regarding the matter, stating that the company felt “deeply sorry for the unfortunate accident” as it expressed condolences to the victim’s family. Apple is also said to be investigating the incident thoroughly to discover what the reasoning behind the death was.
Although we’ve heard of some bizarre situations in the past, this is the first electrocution based incident we’ve heard so far. Most previous issues regarding harm from iOS devices have been explosions which have been attributed to bad repair jobs at unauthorized service center or counterfeit iPhone chargers. We’ll have to wait and see what the reasoning behind the electrocution was.
Source: The Next Web, South China Morning Post