• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Chinese Family Claims Electrocution from Charging iPhone Caused Daughter's Death


    According to the state-run Xinhua News Agency, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone while it was charging. Authorities are still said to be examining the situation and trying to figure out whether it was the mobile phone which caused the electrocution. Not surprisingly, the family is seeking compensation from Apple over the whole ordeal. The older sister of the victim demanded an explanation from Apple over the incident on the Chinese social network Sina Weibo. She had written the following:

    (I) hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.
    The post has gone viral in China with people forwarding the message and warning family and friends of the dangers of using mobile devices while they are being charged. Experts have also warned against the use of any electronic device while it’s being charged according to the South China Morning Post. Dr. Peter Chiu Ping-kuen, the head of the Department of Electronic and Information Engineering at the Hong Kong institute of Vocational Education said that it would not be appropriate to jump to any conclusions since the circumstances of the incident are not yet known.

    The Cupertino California company was quick to issue a statement regarding the matter, stating that the company felt “deeply sorry for the unfortunate accident” as it expressed condolences to the victim’s family. Apple is also said to be investigating the incident thoroughly to discover what the reasoning behind the death was.

    Although we’ve heard of some bizarre situations in the past, this is the first electrocution based incident we’ve heard so far. Most previous issues regarding harm from iOS devices have been explosions which have been attributed to bad repair jobs at unauthorized service center or counterfeit iPhone chargers. We’ll have to wait and see what the reasoning behind the electrocution was.

    Source: The Next Web, South China Morning Post
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Chinese Family Claims Electrocution from Charging iPhone Caused Daughter's Death started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 43 Comments
    1. PokemonDesigner's Avatar
      PokemonDesigner -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
      Same. But only while I was charging my 4s, on a third party ihome,while playing my guitar from the amp on the same outlet.
    1. Serge.H's Avatar
      Serge.H -
      This has gone viral on the internet..
    1. bradmullins007's Avatar
      bradmullins007 -
      Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
      What? I have owned several of every version of the iPhone and never did any of them did this. Stop charging your phone while in the deep end of your pool!
      If you consider a couch and laptop equivalent to the deep end of a pool. Ok

      Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
      Same. But only while I was charging my 4s, on a third party ihome,while playing my guitar from the amp on the same outlet.
      I simply plug mine into my laptop and if it's without a case I'll get shocked a little.
    1. cpotoso's Avatar
      cpotoso -
      Apple's (and most other manufacturers) power adapters are very badly insulated. For example my macbook air (and earlier my sony vaio laptop) would give me mild shocks if I do not use a 3-prong (grounded) connector with the adapter, especially when traveling abroad where the voltage is 220 V. It is feasible that you could be electrocuted this way. At least with apple, there is the option of using a grounded connector with the macbook air (but not on iphone or ipad), whereas my sony... what a piece of s***.
    1. iChopPryde's Avatar
      iChopPryde -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
      You should definitely get your wiring checked by a professional I'm not sure where you live but that sounds dangerous and electrical devices shouldn't be doing that it's usually the cause of wiring corroding or faulty best to get it checked in either case.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      You can't die in a bath like that. If your house is wired properly you should have a GFI circuit in your bathroom and at the very least the breaker should be tripped before any damage is done.
      GFI are not installed in all houses. Where I live, most do not have them. You can not just i stall one as the Romex cable needs to have a continuous ground lead back to either the breaker box or to the earth.

      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      why can't people die from normal things like autoerotic asphyxiation.
      lmao!

      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      Apple's (and most other manufacturers) power adapters are very badly insulated. For example my macbook air (and earlier my sony vaio laptop) would give me mild shocks if I do not use a 3-prong (grounded) connector with the adapter, especially when traveling abroad where the voltage is 220 V. It is feasible that you could be electrocuted this way. At least with apple, there is the option of using a grounded connector with the macbook air (but not on iphone or ipad), whereas my sony... what a piece of s***.
      So if you don't use the adapter like it is supposed to be to be use, you get shocked? Or am I missing something.

      Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneThereforeIAm View Post
      All part of the Samsung/Apple PR war. The anti-Apple component of Samsung's worldwide ad campaign has become increasingly brazen and direct over the last few years and the two have been embroiled in ever more bitter legal patent battles across the world. Wouldn't put it past Samsung's dirty tricks department to have dreamt this one up.
      Did you come up with this conspiracy theory before or after the aliens came and probed you?
    1. CZroe's Avatar
      CZroe -
      Lightning? I recall people with iPod's being struck and having burns on their skin along the headphone cable path. If it didn't attract the lightning it may have actually helped by creating a path to ground that bypassed the heart and brain.
    1. The6uest's Avatar
      The6uest -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
      What?! I use my phone all the time when it's charging and never had that issue.. iPhone 3G through iPhone 5.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
      What?! I use my phone all the time when it's charging and never had that issue.. iPhone 3G through iPhone 5.
      Yea I have never had an issue and I have had every version of the iPhone.
    1. cpotoso's Avatar
      cpotoso -
      Yes, you are missing something: most adapters (including apple's) come with 2 prong power cables/plugs. When used that way they will give you mild shocks (esp. in 220V). Apple at least (for laptops) gives you the option to remove the compact 2 prong plug and use the longer 3 pronged cable which is grounded and the shocking goes away. ALL of this, BTW, was clearly stated in my original post, which clearly you did not read correctly.
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      I say for the people that are having shocks have wiring problem or stuff that's needs to be updated. I have never had any of my iPhone's shock me before. From my 3G to my iPhone 5 now. Never had any issues when plugging in any electrical items either. Laptops, TV's, desktop computers and etc... Even living in different areas, tropical, coastal, humid, dry heat, and etc...

      Now other issues that could be going on that i haven't seen anybody say yet is how about static electricity? If this girl was dragging her feet on the carpet when walking and then goes to pick up her phone and gets zapped? and this goes for others on here to complaining of shocks?
    1. fleurya's Avatar
      fleurya -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
      We see you trollin'
      You hatin'....
    1. mching's Avatar
      mching -
      Oh.. so that's why they called it the 'Lightning' connector.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      Yes, you are missing something: most adapters (including apple's) come with 2 prong power cables/plugs. When used that way they will give you mild shocks (esp. in 220V). Apple at least (for laptops) gives you the option to remove the compact 2 prong plug and use the longer 3 pronged cable which is grounded and the shocking goes away. ALL of this, BTW, was clearly stated in my original post, which clearly you did not read correctly.
      Where in the original post did it mention 2 prong plugs? As for being shocked, I never got shocked and neither did the hundred of students get shocked by the laptops where I worked. Learn how to use equipment properly.
    1. cgfusion's Avatar
      cgfusion -
      Really,...someone said this is common....BS! I've never heard of this, had it happen or read about it until now.....another get rich scheme. I got severe gas eating Chinese food, maybe I'll sue Red China. How about all the crap in our food ingredients coming from China....should sue for that too.
    1. cpotoso's Avatar
      cpotoso -
      Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
      Where in the original post did it mention 2 prong plugs? As for being shocked, I never got shocked and neither did the hundred of students get shocked by the laptops where I worked. Learn how to use equipment properly.
      I quote from your earlier post "So if you don't use the adapter like it is supposed to be to be use, you get shocked? Or am I missing something.". WHY in the world you claim that one did not use the adapter like it is supposed to be use[d]? So YES, YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING. And as I mentioned, the shocks are mild. As your posts show, you are not only dumb ("learn to use the equipment properly", really? What a m*ron), but insensitive to the shocks; perhaps the mild shocks killed so many of your brain cells that you cannot sense them anymore (and also cannot make a cogent argument either). Don't bother responding, you already made your point loud and clear.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
      I quote from your earlier post "So if you don't use the adapter like it is supposed to be to be use, you get shocked? Or am I missing something.". WHY in the world you claim that one did not use the adapter like it is supposed to be use[d]? So YES, YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING. And as I mentioned, the shocks are mild. As your posts show, you are not only dumb ("learn to use the equipment properly", really? What a m*ron), but insensitive to the shocks; perhaps the mild shocks killed so many of your brain cells that you cannot sense them anymore (and also cannot make a cogent argument either). Don't bother responding, you already made your point loud and clear.
      An educated person will prove their point with facts and reasoning, while others resort to personal attacks.
    1. ThatOneProfile's Avatar
      ThatOneProfile -
      Duh chinee peepl need to be smatta abaaout da teknologee. Dum fuks
    1. recellseo's Avatar
      recellseo -
      This seems shady to me....in todays time we wonder if this is some kind of ploy to extort money or to muddle the name of the phone manufacturer or just an accident well who really knows...
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
      Duh chinee peepl need to be smatta abaaout da teknologee. Dum fuks
      Lol. Never seen an accent written out so well.