• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Chinese Family Claims Electrocution from Charging iPhone Caused Daughter's Death


    According to the state-run Xinhua News Agency, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone while it was charging. Authorities are still said to be examining the situation and trying to figure out whether it was the mobile phone which caused the electrocution. Not surprisingly, the family is seeking compensation from Apple over the whole ordeal. The older sister of the victim demanded an explanation from Apple over the incident on the Chinese social network Sina Weibo. She had written the following:

    (I) hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.
    The post has gone viral in China with people forwarding the message and warning family and friends of the dangers of using mobile devices while they are being charged. Experts have also warned against the use of any electronic device while it’s being charged according to the South China Morning Post. Dr. Peter Chiu Ping-kuen, the head of the Department of Electronic and Information Engineering at the Hong Kong institute of Vocational Education said that it would not be appropriate to jump to any conclusions since the circumstances of the incident are not yet known.

    The Cupertino California company was quick to issue a statement regarding the matter, stating that the company felt “deeply sorry for the unfortunate accident” as it expressed condolences to the victim’s family. Apple is also said to be investigating the incident thoroughly to discover what the reasoning behind the death was.

    Although we’ve heard of some bizarre situations in the past, this is the first electrocution based incident we’ve heard so far. Most previous issues regarding harm from iOS devices have been explosions which have been attributed to bad repair jobs at unauthorized service center or counterfeit iPhone chargers. We’ll have to wait and see what the reasoning behind the electrocution was.

    Source: The Next Web, South China Morning Post
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Chinese Family Claims Electrocution from Charging iPhone Caused Daughter's Death started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 43 Comments
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      I feel for the family but? This was what i was going to say.

      "unauthorized service center or counterfeit iPhone chargers"
    1. ecd5000's Avatar
      ecd5000 -
      What the story doesn't say is how she was using the phone, watching tv, making toast and using a hair dryer while taking a bath.
    1. bradmullins007's Avatar
      bradmullins007 -
      I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
    1. Eonhpi's Avatar
      Eonhpi -
      Sounds like another felonious law suit
    1. noraa's Avatar
      noraa -
      If she was using a standard 5V, 1A charger (or even a 2A charger) there's pretty much no way she could have been electrocuted. While .1 amps is indeed enough to kill someone, that .1 amp would need to be applied directly to a person's heart or be combined with a high enough voltage to penetrate the skin and chest cavity. Skin has a fairly high resistance, and 5V is a very low voltage. Skin generally has a resistance anywhere from 100 ohms to 100,000 ohms - a minimum of 10,000 ohms on your fingers. So let's do a little math. V=IR (voltage = current * resistance). The voltage coming from a standard iPhone (or even iPad) charger is 5V, and that will stay constant regardless of resistance, as such the variable in this equation is current - with a maximum of 1 or 2 amps. So we've got 5V = I * 10000Ω or I = 5V/10000Ω = .0005 amps. Even the phone some how touch a very thin piece of skin where the resistance is closer to 100, you're still only looking at .05 amps. Unless she had doused her self in salt water, there simply isn't enough power coming from a standard charger to cause any real damage (beyond a very mild shock). Now, if she was using a non-standard charger that could push through more amps, that's another story entirely...
    1. docmagoo2's Avatar
      docmagoo2 -
      This situation sucks, and condolences to the family but until it's fully investigated and causality is established then the law suit should be put on hold. The Chinese authorities will no doubt side with their citizens tho as proven in the past....
    1. sheon's Avatar
      sheon -
      hey atleast its not as bad as the porn lawsuit lmao since its China its probably a fake iPhone so ya
    1. iPhoneThereforeIAm's Avatar
      iPhoneThereforeIAm -
      All part of the Samsung/Apple PR war. The anti-Apple component of Samsung's worldwide ad campaign has become increasingly brazen and direct over the last few years and the two have been embroiled in ever more bitter legal patent battles across the world. Wouldn't put it past Samsung's dirty tricks department to have dreamt this one up.
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Noraa- u sound like the people I work with. Sigh...
    1. onski's Avatar
      onski -
      I feel bad for their loss, but i dont see this happening unless she used a knock off charger or maybe she plugged the usb directly to the outlet..
    1. bigstudio's Avatar
      bigstudio -
      Quote Originally Posted by noraa View Post
      ...Now, if she was using a non-standard charger that could push through more amps, that's another story entirely...
      Or, more likely, if the charger was defective.
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
      Sounds like another felonious law suit
      i totaly agree with you 100% everyone is looking for a get rich scheme.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
      What the story doesn't say is how she was using the phone, watching tv, making toast and using a hair dryer while taking a bath.
      You can't die in a bath like that. If your house is wired properly you should have a GFI circuit in your bathroom and at the very least the breaker should be tripped before any damage is done.
    1. buggsy2's Avatar
      buggsy2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      You can't die in a bath like that. If your house is wired properly you should have a GFI circuit in your bathroom and at the very least the breaker should be tripped before any damage is done.
      1. This is China.
      2. Plenty of older homes in the USA don't have the 3rd ground wire let alone GFIs!
    1. jzhu625's Avatar
      jzhu625 -
      everybody wants a piece of that apple
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      There's got to be something else at play here that hasn't been figured out or reported.
    1. xhazex9x's Avatar
      xhazex9x -
      Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
      1. This is China.
      2. Plenty of older homes in the USA don't have the 3rd ground wire let alone GFIs!
      Exactly this and i hate when people try to get all technical " it takes 1 amp directly to ur anus according to the 2011 polls ur gfi circuit has to be 100% aluminum or ur sphagetti wont cook right"
    1. kuanyu's Avatar
      kuanyu -
      Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
      Exactly this and i hate when people try to get all technical " it takes 1 amp directly to ur anus according to the 2011 polls ur gfi circuit has to be 100% aluminum or ur sphagetti wont cook right"
      Lol
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Why can't people die from normal things like autoerotic asphyxiation.
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
      I don't know about anyone else but when my iPhone 5 is charging it will definitely shock you. My iPhone 4 and 4s did the same thing so it must be pretty common.
      What? I have owned several of every version of the iPhone and never did any of them did this. Stop charging your phone while in the deep end of your pool!