• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Asks to Stop Legacy iPhone and iPad Sales Ban Set to Take Place in August


    In a recent filing with the U.S. International Trade Commission, Apple requested the body stay an import ban against older model iPhones and iPads while a court considers an appeal on the ruling. The Cupertino California company’s motion, which comes less than four weeks before the sales ban is scheduled to go into effect (on August 5), says the ban would ‘sweep away an entire segment of Apple’s product offerings,” a move which would negatively impact the company’s partner carriers.

    As noted by the folks over at GigaOm, the motion claims that Apple will lose out on sales of GSM versions of both the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with cellular capability. This move would hinder the company’s efforts in obtaining new customers through entry-level devices. Since the release of the iPhone 5 in September 2012, the 8GB iPhone 4 became Apple’s free-on-contract offering, which is an important product that allows the company to introduce a wider range of customers to the Apple ecosystem.

    The ban from the ITC was handed down in June after the six-member Commission determined that Apple had infringed on certain 3G wireless patents held by Samsung. The limited import ban affects GSM version so the iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G as well as versions of the iPad 2 and the original iPad. According to Apple, GSM network operators will be giving up a competitive advantage if the products are taken off the market. Although the names of the telecoms were redacted from the public version of the filing, Apple is likely referring to both AT&T and T-Mobile (which are two of the nation’s largest wireless providers).

    As of right now, Apple is a little over half way through a 60-day Presidential Review period in which the White House can veto the ITC order. If no action is taken, the import ban becomes effective. In arguing for a stay, Apple notes that an appeal has already been lodged with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and believes the outcome of the case will be an invalidation of Samsung’s asserted patent. If the CAFC rules in favor of Samsung, the South Korean electronics company can collect damages in another suit pending in Delaware, according to Apple.

    We’ll have to wait and see which company comes out on top of this patent struggle as the war between the two continues.

    Source: GigaOm via AppleInsider
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Asks to Stop Legacy iPhone and iPad Sales Ban Set to Take Place in August started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 11 Comments
    1. smith01's Avatar
      smith01 -
      I really hope Samsung win. Apple deserve to loose bigtime with the way they treat everyone. They have already killed off the iPad1, the iPhone 1, the iPhone 3G and just about to kill off the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 so what are they complaining about? They can no longer sell devices they have already killed off anyway?
    1. iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
      iLoveWindows&iPhone -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      I really hope Samsung win. Apple deserve to loose bigtime with the way they treat everyone. They have already killed off the iPad1, the iPhone 1, the iPhone 3G and just about to kill off the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 so what are they complaining about? They can no longer sell devices they have already killed off anyway?
      Ugh...The ignorance. You hope SAMSUNG win(S)? Look at the statement you just made...You say apple deserves to loose (lose) big time (not a word) for the way they treat everyone. You then go onto say that you don't understand why Apple would argue for these devices since it does not benefit from them in your mind...I guess the problem is your little mind cannot grasp the fact that Apple is doing this for the benefit of its partners (AT&T and Tmobile) but more importantly for the CUSTOMERS who own or want to own these devices!! But why would Apple be doing that if it HATES customers so much YOU ask?!? Typical Samsung fan...
    1. Fellowapplegater's Avatar
      Fellowapplegater -
      Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
      Ugh...The ignorance. You hope SAMSUNG win(S)? Look at the statement you just made...You say apple deserves to loose (lose) big time (not a word) for the way they treat everyone. You then go onto say that you don't understand why Apple would argue for these devices since it does not benefit from them in your mind...I guess the problem is your little mind cannot grasp the fact that Apple is doing this for the benefit of its partners (AT&T and Tmobile) but more importantly for the CUSTOMERS who own or want to own these devices!! But why would Apple be doing that if it HATES customers so much YOU ask?!? Typical Samsung fan...
      I agree his grammar is bad, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out what he's getting at. I won't go into how fan-boyish making fun of him is - and get on with my point.

      I think ( and he can correct me if I'm wrong) he means apple sues everyone for everything they believe/think they have rights to. They are in court CONSTANTLY over stuff. For them to get slain over something they COPIED is A-Ok in my book. Am I an apple fan? yes - am I a Samsung fan? Yes. 100% of my home entertainment equipment is Samsung, while my tablets, mine and my wife's phone are iPhones/iPads.

      I love apple - just don't agree with their business practices.
    1. luvmytj's Avatar
      luvmytj -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      I really hope Samsung win. Apple deserve to loose bigtime with the way they treat everyone. They have already killed off the iPad1, the iPhone 1, the iPhone 3G and just about to kill off the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 so what are they complaining about? They can no longer sell devices they have already killed off anyway?
      Re-read the story and you will see why Apple cares about the iPhone4 & iPad2 being available to the public.
    1. mr117's Avatar
      mr117 -
      Apple WANTS to sell the i4. It's offered free with cellular contracts- thus an easy way for a consumer to cheaply enter the "world" of Apple. If the OP had read the story before posting he would have noticed that Apple is fighting to KEEP the i4 available. BTW, if I want to go out and buy a 2003 Chevy new, from the dealer, I can't. I can't get a warranty for one from the dealer, either. And parts may be harder to find. Yes, my car would run, but the manufacturer no longer "supports" it. And no one would take such a car to a Chevy dealer for repair. You would take it to an independent repair shop. How is that different from Apple dropping support for devices that have run their course (in Apple's view)? Yes, Apple can be pushy, trying to get us all to buy new devices. But so is every other company in the world. That's how companies make money. Of course, it's easy to blame Apple for all problems and faults, but it is also a very simplistic view of how business works.
    1. Bhp41's Avatar
      Bhp41 -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      I really hope Samsung win. Apple deserve to loose bigtime with the way they treat everyone. They have already killed off the iPad1, the iPhone 1, the iPhone 3G and just about to kill off the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 so what are they complaining about? They can no longer sell devices they have already killed off anyway?
      I really hope Apple win this. Just so all the Apple haters on an Apple website that still use Apple products will have something to ***** about for the next 3 months.
    1. DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
      DayumQuitPlayin -
      These guys seem to think that Apple is the only company suing. Hello, this is Apple related news, you're going to read about lawsuits pertaining to Apple. Go on an Android forum and you will see lawsuits relating to android phone manufacturers and Google.

      Why do people spend so much time going to sites that don't pertain to them just to talk trash? It really makes you look pathetic. These same people are always trying to justify theirselves. Get a life, seriously.
    1. skibumstevo's Avatar
      skibumstevo -
      Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
      I really hope Samsung win. Apple deserve to loose bigtime with the way they treat everyone. They have already killed off the iPad1, the iPhone 1, the iPhone 3G and just about to kill off the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 so what are they complaining about? They can no longer sell devices they have already killed off anyway?
      Ban this looser troll...
    1. cgfusion's Avatar
      cgfusion -
      Smith01 your an idiot. The way Apple treats people is with Grade A service. FACT.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Fact: ITC found Apple guilty of stealing patented technology from Samsung and not paying for it.
      Fact: Ban will go into effect unless The President orders a stay, Obama most likely will not do so.

      Unfortunately Apple already have something ready to go in case this happens, the cheap iPhones should be rolling out the factories around the time the ban takes effect.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
      Fact: ITC found Apple guilty of stealing patented technology from Samsung and not paying for it.
      Fact: Ban will go into effect unless The President orders a stay, Obama most likely will not do so.

      Unfortunately Apple already have something ready to go in case this happens, the cheap iPhones should be rolling out the factories around the time the ban takes effect.
      FACT: Samsung just copied the entire iPhone.