Apple's iPhone 5 Takes 75% of North American Web Traffic for Newer Smartphones
According to a report from Chitika
, Apple’s iPhone 5 has accounted for more than three quarters of North American 4G web traffic generated by smartphones since July 2012. This translates to a 40% share when including all 4G-capable smartphones in the study. Originally conducted over the first two weeks of June, the study showed 4G handsets accounted for 30% of all active smartphones in the U.S. and Canada with the remaining 70% consisting of “other smartphones,” including 3G and 2G wireless models.
The report was based on tens of millions of smartphone-based online ad impressions on its network from June 1 to June 13, 2013. After breaking down the numbers further, the firm found that 53% of ad impressions came from 4G smartphones which were released after July 2012.
Apple’s LTE-equipped iPhone 5 managed to capture roughly 40% of total traffic from 4G handsets and 76% of traffic from smartphones brought to the market after July 2012. Other notable 4G smartphones which were seen in the study included Samsung’s Galaxy S4, HTC’s One, LG’s Nexus 4 and both BB10 BlackBerry devices.
noted that the results show newer model 4G phones are driving more traffic than their predecessors; even counting the latter’s advantage of being on the market for months. There is still room for growth as cellular technology advances and telecoms slowly spread more spectrums to their 4G networks.