• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Sony Unveils Smartwatch 2


    Sony has officially unwrapped its new Android-powered Smartwatch 2.

    As rumors abound that Apple will soon launch an iOS-powered smartwatch (iWatch) to compete in this potentially lucrative new product category of wearable computing devices, Sony isn't waiting to see what the competition is up to before refreshing its nascent line of smartwatches.

    Sony SmartWatch 2 is a second screen for your Android smartphone that, as well as enhancing existing phone functionality, offers unique new benefits.
    Sony says the new device serves as a multi-functional watch, notifier, Android app interface and phone remote control. "App expandability is key to Sony SmartWatch 2," the company says. "It can be personalized with more dedicated apps than any other smartwatch* to seamlessly suit your needs, whether you are on the go, keeping active, in business meetings or simply at home."

    The advertised features include:


    • Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
    • Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
    • Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
    • Taking a run or on the bike? Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
    • Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
    • Use lifestyle apps like Runtastic to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
    • Quickly and easily adjust the tracks and volume on your music player, without ever taking your phone from your pocket


    "Sony is the proud leader in the smartwatch market since introducing our first Bluetooth watch in 2007," says Stefan K Persson, Head of Companion Products at Sony Mobile Communications. "Competitors are only now launching first generation devices, while we are already launching a 3rd generation device with all the insight gained from over half a million customers combined with Sony's wealth of technology expertise to create the best ever smartwatch experience."

    So far, no pricing info has been released, but the new smartwatch will be available to consumers this September.

    Source: Sony
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Sony Unveils Smartwatch 2 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 35 Comments
    1. stolenpentium's Avatar
      stolenpentium -
      Blah....
    1. 2k1's Avatar
      2k1 -
      I like it different
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
      Blah....
      This will flop big time since it is running Android just saying look at how unstable the phones are.
    1. KraXik's Avatar
      KraXik -
      I would like it if it didn't have the massive Sony on the front....

      They should've come up with a new brand just for their watches.
    1. bmwraw8482's Avatar
      bmwraw8482 -
      Can't wait for samsungs version. I bet it'll have a much bigger screen...
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
      Can't wait for samsungs version. I bet it'll have a much bigger screen...
      Ha ha ha
    1. Carvensno's Avatar
      Carvensno -
      Totally useless LMAO!!!!! Why get this when you have a smart phone on ya? Can't imagine trying to read a article or a email from that little screen.
    1. buttamix's Avatar
      buttamix -
      Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
      I would like it if it didn't have the massive Sony on the front....

      They should've come up with a new brand just for their watches.
      Yeah totally!!! Now if it had the bitten apple i would be all over it
    1. JerseyScottie's Avatar
      JerseyScottie -
      Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
      This will flop big time since it is running Android just saying look at how unstable the phones are.
      i've had plenty of android phones (used to have iphones prior..still own an ipad 2) I don't know what android phones you're looking at..I've never had a problem with stability. I've had the Captivate , Inspire 4g , Infuse 4g and my current note 1. All were and are stable as can be.
    1. AKCHRIS's Avatar
      AKCHRIS -
      LMAO!!!! This is a Joke right?
    1. feidhlim1986's Avatar
      feidhlim1986 -
      Rumours abound alright....if you only read MMi.
      At least people will have a much more difficult job arguing that Apple invented the Smart Watch. I mean, they argue they invented things that existing long before Apple thought up of any product, but they'll argue none the less.
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      I find it funny that people do not mention nano with watchband that lasts a few hours is a joke, but a watch that actually designed to be a watch with more functions and last longer is a joke...
      For me a watch is more than just a watch it is also an accessory, do not see myself taking a Tag Heuer off to put on a Sony or Apple watch. To me these are just novelty watches like the calculator watches back in the 80's (people spell 55378008 for fun) or even older than that the D!ck Tracy watch.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      I didn't even know they had a watch out....
    1. Zokunei's Avatar
      Zokunei -
      Look at that Facebook app. What a joke.
    1. Silverado1987's Avatar
      Silverado1987 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
      Look at that Facebook app. What a joke.
      +1
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
      This will flop big time since it is running Android just saying look at how unstable the phones are.
      dear troll. try again. iOS runs on just 17% of the worlds smart phones and there's a good reason for that. in addition, apple will one again find itself on the outside looking in and desperately trying to play catch up.

      PS. Im sure you're more than excited to see all those longtime Android stock features make their way over to iOS.
    1. dpacemaker's Avatar
      dpacemaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      dear troll. try again. iOS runs on just 17% of the worlds smart phones and there's a good reason for that. in addition, apple will one again find itself on the outside looking in and desperately trying to play catch up.

      PS. Im sure you're more than excited to see all those longtime Android stock features make their way over to iOS.
      You do realize that over 60% percent of Android users are on a version that is nearly 3yrs old. While over 90% of iOS users are on the most recent. While they are finally getting their act together in bringing certain functionality features they have been lacking, the fact that they allow nearly every new software to be used on many old devices. While not all features are there some are. The 3GS will be left out of iOS 7, but the iPad 2 will get some. Most models of Android phones are not able to be upgraded. The only reason that Android has a bigger market share is because it is in tons of plastic boxes from different manufacturers. If Google only made the hardware for their software, and Samsung, HTC, and others didn't have access to it, Apple would have that market share. I'd rather have iOS 7 on my iPad 2, then buy something that I can never upgrade, and get at least a few features. Another thing is that Apple doesn't allow phone carrier networks to add their bloat ware, and since its closed there are no viruses in the App Store, just a few weeks ago a malware app called 'Bad Piggies' was in the Google Play store, that's ridiculous. Since they make the hardware I don't have to worry about bloat ware features like on other handsets, Samsung adds tons to Android, as do other phone makers.
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      dear troll. try again. iOS runs on just 17% of the worlds smart phones and there's a good reason for that. in addition, apple will one again find itself on the outside looking in and desperately trying to play catch up.

      PS. Im sure you're more than excited to see all those longtime Android stock features make their way over to iOS.
      So, one manufacturer produces 17% of the smart phones in the world. And how many other manufacturers are required to produce the other 83%? So, what is the good reason for that?

      Had you specifically mentioned Samsung at 30 something percent, that would have been more impressive.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      So, one manufacturer produces 17% of the smart phones in the world. And how many other manufacturers are required to produce the other 83%? So, what is the good reason for that?

      Had you specifically mentioned Samsung at 30 something percent, that would have been more impressive.
      Even if they are at 30%, retailers still have to bribe people with gift cards to sell them. Best Buy is currently offering a gift card when you buy a Samsung device.
    1. tridley68's Avatar
      tridley68 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      dear troll. try again. iOS runs on just 17% of the worlds smart phones and there's a good reason for that. in addition, apple will one again find itself on the outside looking in and desperately trying to play catch up.

      PS. Im sure you're more than excited to see all those longtime Android stock features make their way over to iOS.
      At least with my devices running iOS I know that they are current and can be upgraded to newer versions and not be stuck with a android plastic piece of crapp.