• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • "No Phone Can Best the iPhone:" iPhonemania in China


    The iPhone 4 went on sale today in China, with large crowds gathering outside Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai. The only authorized carrier in the country, China Unicom, said they received 200,000 pre-orders before sales began, and the phone apparently did brisk business at China Unicom retail outlets and Suning Appliance stores throughout the People's Republic. China Unicom requires a contract, though, and the carrier-unlocked phones available at the four Apple Stores in China are proving popular.

    Most Chinese mobile phone customers pay month-to-month, rather than signing a contract. In addition, many just want to keep their existing phone number; the Chinese market does not aoffer portability. In an online survey by portal 163.com, over 70 percent of the more than 7,000 people surveyed said they would rather buy an iPhone 4 from Apple instead of China Unicom. With a two-year contract from China Unicom, the iPhone 4 will cost 5,880 yuan ($877) for the 16GB model, and 6,999 yuan ($1,044) for the 32GB model. Apple's price for unlocked iPhone 4s is 4,999 yuan ($744 US) for the 16GB model and 5,999 yuan ($893) for the 32GB model. According to China Daily, the English-language newspaper published by the Communist Party of China, Apple's price is below the 5,500 yuan charged for gray market phones brought in from Hong Kong. "We cut the price by 200 yuan this week," a vendor in Beijing's largest electronics market told the government newspaper, "but customers still think it is too high since they can buy an official one from an Apple store for 4,999 yuan."

    Customer lined up for as long as two days waiting for their chance to buy an iPhone, with more than a thousand people waiting outside the new Apple Store at the Xidan Joy City shopping center in Beijing. "It's like waiting in line to see a movie star," Sun Jian Kuan, a 26-year-old systems engineer, told Computerworld. "No phone can best the iPhone."

    Source: Computerworld, image via Agence France Presse
    This article was originally published in forum thread: "No Phone Can Best the iPhone:" iPhonemania in China started by Paul Daniel Ash View original post
    Comments 46 Comments
    1. bevo6000's Avatar
      bevo6000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Proximity sensor intermittent problems (after 4.1 update), duplicate text messages, screen yellowing after 4 days of usage, very loose volume buttons, loose vibrator unit inside the phone (no it's not normal) loose home button, crooked home button, crooked charger port pin connector, small knicks on the top edge of the phone, multiple crashes from native apps like messages and app store that actually crashed the whole phone, excessive power off time (20 seconds just to turn off vs 2 seconds on my current one and numerous others), wifi not connecting, excessive battery drain, dust/dirt underneath front/back glass.

      These issues were from both brand new white box retail swap phones as well as service replacements....which are also brand new. Apple will not sell refurbs through their Apple stores.

      If any of you fanboys don't believe this phone could have such a wide range of problems.....wake the f**k up and crawl out of your little Apple wonderworld box. It can and does. If u don't believe it I really don't care.

      ALL of these issues were verified by either the technical support over the phone or by an Apple Store employee themselves.....including the store managers.

      The only reason I still currently have the phone is because I seem to have finally found one that has none of those problems.....yet.
      What we think about we get!

      YOU JUST HAVE BAD VIBES DUDE.
    1. BlackDrag0n's Avatar
      BlackDrag0n -
      ehh iPhone 4 is allright , either way when alienware release there new touch gaming phone the phone wars will end.....till the 5th gen is out.
    1. DontBeJealous's Avatar
      DontBeJealous -
      Quote Originally Posted by bevo6000 View Post
      What we think about we get!

      YOU JUST HAVE BAD VIBES DUDE.
      Sounds like a troll to me. Going through that many phones and having all those problems. Highly unlikely.
    1. TheOrioles33's Avatar
      TheOrioles33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackDrag0n View Post
      ehh iPhone 4 is allright , either way when alienware release there new touch gaming phone the phone wars will end.....till the 5th gen is out.
      If Dell did decide to release an Alienware branded gaming touch device, what would make it any better at gaming than any other Android powered devices already on the market? It might have a cool glowing alien head on it though.
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by bevo6000 View Post
      What we think about we get!

      YOU JUST HAVE BAD VIBES DUDE.
      Ah yes. "bad vibes". So I magically willed these problems into reality with my thoughts. Good point.

      Or maybe I'm just better at spotting defects (which by the way were CONFIRMED) than most of the other clowns that just buy a phone, fall in love and tune everything else out that doesn't jump right out at you. The people at the Apple Store almost know me by name now. And you should have seen the look on the managers' faces as I kept coming back in and they kept confirming problem after problem. They didn't know what the hell to say to me. All they could do was keep apologizing for my experience. Four of my replacement phones never even made it out of the store before having to be turned back in. FOUR! You really think i'm making this sh!t up? Get over it! I'm not!

      Quote Originally Posted by DontBeJealous View Post
      Sounds like a troll to me. Going through that many phones and having all those problems. Highly unlikely.
      I like that. I like how you said "highly unlikely" and not "impossible". And considering the fact that the person I was responding to went through 7 replacement phones himself....makes it HIGHLY likely.

      Do you really think we are the only two having multiple problems with this phone? Most of the phones I had to replace had a multitude of the problems I listed on that one phone. It wasn't one for each phone. Some had the same problem over several phones. All in all I am on my 10th phone in 2 months. Two more than the other guy who's had 7 replacements in ONE month...meaning he's on his 8th phone. That's 2 iPhones a week he's burned through trying to find a good one. Some people have gone through more than a dozen. Two guys at my job gave up after having their 3rd and 6th phone replaced and just returned it and got something else.

      With millions of phones sold of course there are going to be way more happy success stories than problematic stories. It's sheer numbers.

      I'm willing to bet at least ONE person will read my post above with the list of problems and begin probing their phone and more than likely find one of those problems on their phone that they never noticed before. At least one person will do it. They might not post it or admit to it....but they will find something. I mean hell two Apple Store employees pulled out their phones and found a couple of the same issues that I was having on THEIR phone and were shocked to realize that.

      Troll?? I don't think so.

      For a minute I thought about writing Apple or Steve Jobs about my experience, but I know his little smart-azz would just write some stupid predictable response back about the tons of other people who AREN'T having problems (or haven't noticed them). So I'm not even gonna bother with that!.
    1. alexevo's Avatar
      alexevo -
      So true on so many levels.
    1. l0k0's Avatar
      l0k0 -
      Quote Originally Posted by topless1967stang View Post
      I thought the average person in China could not afford something that expensive. I guess they get paid rather well in the large cities.
      But there are so many people in China, 1% of the population is several million people. So, maybe it makes sense.
      Just depends on how u look at things.

      90% of things u buy here in the US are either made in China or atleast assembled in China. So chances are ur money goes to China some way or another.

      I dunno about you, but the back of my iPhone 3gs does in fact say......Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China.
    1. sdjmchattie's Avatar
      sdjmchattie -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
      Wow, communist iPhones are expensive. And what's up with Apple charging $145 more for the device in China? It's even cheaper to ship since they're made there. The "unlock" feature isn't anything worth that money. It makes Apple no difference which carrier the device is on. Sounds like merciless price gouging on behalf of Apple and even worse on behalf of Unicom. Glad I don't live in that hellhole.
      Heard of sales tax? 20% isn't unusually high, plus I expect there's some currency conversion costs for Apple somewhere.
    1. donsamuelgeorge's Avatar
      donsamuelgeorge -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Ah yes. "bad vibes". So I magically willed these problems into reality with my thoughts. Good point. :

      Or maybe I'm just better at spotting defects (which by the way were CONFIRMED) than most of the other clowns that just buy a phone, fall in love and tune everything else out that doesn't jump right out at you. The people at the Apple Store almost know me by name now. And you should have seen the look on the managers' faces as I kept coming back in and they kept confirming problem after problem. They didn't know what the hell to say to me. All they could do was keep apologizing for my experience. Four of my replacement phones never even made it out of the store before having to be turned back in. FOUR! You really think i'm making this sh!t up? Get over it! I'm not!



      I like that. I like how you said "highly unlikely" and not "impossible". And considering the fact that the person I was responding to went through 7 replacement phones himself....makes it HIGHLY likely.

      Do you really think we are the only two having multiple problems with this phone? Most of the phones I had to replace had a multitude of the problems I listed on that one phone. It wasn't one for each phone. Some had the same problem over several phones. All in all I am on my 10th phone in 2 months. Two more than the other guy who's had 7 replacements in ONE month...meaning he's on his 8th phone. That's 2 iPhones a week he's burned through trying to find a good one. Some people have gone through more than a dozen. Two guys at my job gave up after having their 3rd and 6th phone replaced and just returned it and got something else.

      With millions of phones sold of course there are going to be way more happy success stories than problematic stories. It's sheer numbers.

      I'm willing to bet at least ONE person will read my post above with the list of problems and begin probing their phone and more than likely find one of those problems on their phone that they never noticed before. At least one person will do it. They might not post it or admit to it....but they will find something. I mean hell two Apple Store employees pulled out their phones and found a couple of the same issues that I was having on THEIR phone and were shocked to realize that.

      Troll?? I don't think so.

      For a minute I thought about writing Apple or Steve Jobs about my experience, but I know his little smart-azz would just write some stupid predictable response back about the tons of other people who AREN'T having problems (or haven't noticed them). So I'm not even gonna bother with that!.
      True! Coz I had a bad experience like I mentioned earlier. People are freaking blinded! They are psychologically affected with the name "iPhone" (no exaggeration) or they are ignorant of all these problems! No matter whatever you say, they wont accept or listen.. I believe those are the guys who used the phone for less than 6 months or haven't bought one yet. Ive used 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4! Disassemble, jailbreak and break! I believe the iPhone 4 is not worth 700 plus Euros! I'm happy that I got my refund approved! I'm not trying to say that all the iPhone 4s have some problem, its just that MANY iPhone 4s are having problems!
      Mind you, I have 2 cases and 2 bumpers with me now. I claimed it with the "iPhone 4 case program" app for my last 4 replacements
    1. bevo6000's Avatar
      bevo6000 -
      I buy products from most major brands not just Apple and I rarely find defects. How is that one person can find all of the defective phones coming to him. Not to say that you didn't, but maybe you should look at your attitude in life. I'm positive about everything and I only get positive outcomes, go figure. Read some books buy Stephen Hawking and maybe you will know what I am talking about. I hope both of you have better luck in the future with everything you buy.
    1. phoenix81's Avatar
      phoenix81 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Proximity sensor intermittent problems (after 4.1 update), duplicate text messages, screen yellowing after 4 days of usage, very loose volume buttons, loose vibrator unit inside the phone (no it's not normal) loose home button, crooked home button, crooked charger port pin connector, small knicks on the top edge of the phone, multiple crashes from native apps like messages and app store that actually crashed the whole phone, excessive power off time (20 seconds just to turn off vs 2 seconds on my current one and numerous others), wifi not connecting, excessive battery drain, dust/dirt underneath front/back glass.

      These issues were from both brand new white box retail swap phones as well as service replacements....which are also brand new. Apple will not sell refurbs through their Apple stores.

      If any of you fanboys don't believe this phone could have such a wide range of problems.....wake the f**k up and crawl out of your little Apple wonderworld box. It can and does. If u don't believe it I really don't care.

      ALL of these issues were verified by either the technical support over the phone or by an Apple Store employee themselves.....including the store managers.

      The only reason I still currently have the phone is because I seem to have finally found one that has none of those problems.....yet.
      I think your a bit neurotic
    1. Tyronal's Avatar
      Tyronal -
      Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
      Wait...the phone costs MORE if you sign up for a contract, than if you buy it unlocked??

      They really are backwards in China.
      But remember they then have to pay the call and data costs on top of buying an unlocked phone. With a contract, call and data are included. If you crunch the numbers it would probably be even or slightly in favour of a contract.

      I have $79 plan that includes 1Gb of data and up to $500 worth of calls. My actual call costs are in the $100-$200 range, so if I was paying for just straight calls, I'd be out hundreds of dollars each month. Instead, I just pay $79.

      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      Proximity sensor intermittent problems (after 4.1 update), duplicate text messages, screen yellowing after 4 days of usage, very loose volume buttons, loose vibrator unit inside the phone (no it's not normal) loose home button, crooked home button, crooked charger port pin connector, small knicks on the top edge of the phone, multiple crashes from native apps like messages and app store that actually crashed the whole phone, excessive power off time (20 seconds just to turn off vs 2 seconds on my current one and numerous others), wifi not connecting, excessive battery drain, dust/dirt underneath front/back glass.

      These issues were from both brand new white box retail swap phones as well as service replacements....which are also brand new. Apple will not sell refurbs through their Apple stores.

      If any of you fanboys don't believe this phone could have such a wide range of problems.....wake the f**k up and crawl out of your little Apple wonderworld box. It can and does. If u don't believe it I really don't care.

      ALL of these issues were verified by either the technical support over the phone or by an Apple Store employee themselves.....including the store managers.

      The only reason I still currently have the phone is because I seem to have finally found one that has none of those problems.....yet.

      It's called Karma dude. It's what you get for being a troll!! Ha.

      "The only reason I still currently have the phone is because"..., you want to be able to come here and spew your bile filled hate around the place. Why don't you get a phone that you don't hate? God, what a lying TROLL!!
    1. topless1967stang's Avatar
      topless1967stang -
      Quote Originally Posted by l0k0 View Post
      Just depends on how u look at things.

      90% of things u buy here in the US are either made in China or atleast assembled in China. So chances are ur money goes to China some way or another.

      I dunno about you, but the back of my iPhone 3gs does in fact say......Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China.


      Well the people doing the actual assembly get paid very little.
      I saw where they live in factory supplied dorm type housing and pretty much have no free time to do much except for work.
      The top people in these factories probably get paid pretty well.
      I'm sure most of the money is really made by Apple and AT&T.
    1. katmeef's Avatar
      katmeef -
      i'm still using the first iphone4 i got from apple on launch day in Canada with no defects or other problems (proximity issues are fixed for me with the update). I don't know anyone more anal than myself when it comes to finding and complaining about defects in the toys I buy, which is exactly why I buy apple products...

      Rico, please enjoy an android phone. I'm sure all your returns and associated hassle can't be good for my AAPL stock investments
    1. RICO_'s Avatar
      RICO_ -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post

      It's called Karma dude. It's what you get for being a troll!! Ha.

      "The only reason I still currently have the phone is because"..., you want to be able to come here and spew your bile filled hate around the place. Why don't you get a phone that you don't hate? God, what a lying TROLL!!
      Ah yes. The Super Moderator asks me to present a list of the problems I was seeing with the phones I had and now idiots like YOU can only fire back with me being a "troll" after I presented my facts. Typical fanboy response. I expected at least ONE person to fire off at me like you did. You AND your little boyfriend bevo.

      I don't hate the iPhone. I still have the iPhone because from a functionality and user-friendly standpoint it's still the better phone for me. And like I said earlier, I finally found one that is problem-free at the moment. I don't like the android phones and their interface. I've tried one. Didn't like it at all. Very choppy and un-responsive at times.

      Like I said....someone asked me a question and they got the answer....it may not have been the answer him or you wanted to hear along with any other fanboys reading my posts, but it is the answer. And the only thing your retarded azz can fire back at me with is being a "troll".

      They're not perfect and neither are their products. They may be the best out there still despite the problems, but they are NOT perfect by any means.

      Quote Originally Posted by bevo6000 View Post
      I buy products from most major brands not just Apple and I rarely find defects. How is that one person can find all of the defective phones coming to him. Not to say that you didn't, but maybe you should look at your attitude in life. I'm positive about everything and I only get positive outcomes, go figure. Read some books buy Stephen Hawking and maybe you will know what I am talking about. I hope both of you have better luck in the future with everything you buy.
      Thank you for your advice, but I've got a better idea. How is it my "attitude" is messed up when all the defects I find are verified and confirmed by the Apple staff at the store? You're suggesting that I should just settle and deal with the problems? Please. This phone was hyped up to be a revolutionary phone with superior craftsmanship. So why am I finding these problems? I guess me AND the Apple Store managers are both psychotic and "neurotic" as the other guy so eloquently put it.

      And I guess it would have nothing to do with the numerous suicides at the Apple plants in China a while back. Maybe their working conditions or compensation are affecting their production quality. Who knows.

      Quote Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
      i'm still using the first iphone4 i got from apple on launch day in Canada with no defects or other problems (proximity issues are fixed for me with the update). I don't know anyone more anal than myself when it comes to finding and complaining about defects in the toys I buy, which is exactly why I buy apple products...

      Rico, please enjoy an android phone. I'm sure all your returns and associated hassle can't be good for my AAPL stock investments
      Must be my American Texas luck then. Wasn't hard for me to find these problems. It's not like I went and probed with a magnifying glass and spotlight.

      And don't worry about your stock investments, I'm sure my bad phones will be corrected and re-sold as refurbs through Apple's online program. Maybe you should talk with Apple about their product quality and not me. I don't make the iPhone.
    1. thetoothfairy's Avatar
      thetoothfairy -
      Enough is enough with the ignorant comments! Next one gets a infraction!
    1. whereswaldo's Avatar
      whereswaldo -
      Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
      Enough is enough with the ignorant comments! Next one gets a infraction!
      Second
    1. skj8100's Avatar
      skj8100 -
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackDrag0n View Post
      ehh iPhone 4 is allright , either way when alienware release there new touch gaming phone the phone wars will end.....till the 5th gen is out.
      Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

      .....that alienware phone is gonna dominate the iPhone and android and new windows 7 phone (or windows phone 7, whatever)
      That's gonna happen.....

      Quote Originally Posted by phoenix81 View Post
      I think your a bit neurotic
      I think that might be a bit of an understatement......
    1. southfrisco's Avatar
      southfrisco -
      Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
      I don't hate the iPhone. I still have the iPhone because from a functionality and user-friendly standpoint it's still the better phone for me.
      Sorry for all the issues you have had, I can't empathize with you because I haven't had any of those problems that you mentioned. If you are willing to put up with all that and continue to use an iPhone 4, wouldn't you say there is something about the device at that point? If it was an HTC or Motorola device I am sure a person with so many problems would choose a different brand altogether. All of us are not blind to Apple.
    1. EskimoRuler's Avatar
      EskimoRuler -
      Quote Originally Posted by ashrafkhalifa View Post
      Wow great! Once people buy iPhone they never buy other mobile phone! (my thinking).

      From: Mobile phone
      To: iPhone
      Better!!!!

      East or West
      iPhone is the Best!
      +1