• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • 'AutoBrightness' Offers a Better Automatic Screen Brightness Controller Than Apple Does


    For those of you where screen brightness depending on the lighting conditions around you is a big deal, you may want to take a peek at a new free jailbreak tweak called AutoBrightness by iOS developer K3A.

    AutoBrightness does two major things: 1, it keeps your screen at a good brightness level depending on how bright or how dark the lighting conditions are around you; and 2, it does so much better than Apple does. For this reason, the developer recommends that you disable Apple's Auto Brightness feature from the Brightness and Wallpapers preferences pane in the Settings application after installing AutoBrightness... so make sure you do that or you won't get the expected results.

    After installing the tweak and giving it a try, you will notice that as soon as your ambient light sensor detects a high amount of light, your screen brightness will rocket up. As soon as the ambient light sensor detects a small amount or no light, your screen brightness will quickly diminish to a very dim state. Apple's Auto Brightness feature lacks a quick dim when the light decreases, which for some makes the display feel like a flashlight straight to the eyeballs.

    AutoBrightness is completely free and doesn't have any options to configure because it's completely automatic! If you would like to give it a try, you will find it in Cydia's BigBoss repository right now.

    Name: AutoBrightness
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.0.1-66
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: K3A
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 'AutoBrightness' Offers a Better Automatic Screen Brightness Controller Than Apple Does started by Anthony Bouchard View original post
    Comments 20 Comments
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      Maybe it was fixed but this turned my screen black and I couldn't access anything till I brought it under a light.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      I don't like it. Too slow to change brightness.
    1. Salmonboy's Avatar
      Salmonboy -
      It's very buggy in this stage. My screen went all black in direct sunlight. The slow gradation "effect" looks kinda silly as well. Fix this, and I may install it again.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Yea didn't work at all for me either.
    1. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
      Scotty Manley Silberhorn -
      How did this get a 4/5 when it doesn't work correctly?
    1. mlee19841's Avatar
      mlee19841 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      How did this get a 4/5 when it doesn't work correctly?
      Lol
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      How did this get a 4/5 when it doesn't work correctly?
      Dev is Anthony's best bud!! Just a guess. There could not be any other reason.
    1. edwilk55's Avatar
      edwilk55 -
      Seemed to work well, but put my screen too dark in the room. No override as every time I'd lighten it, it would dim immediately. Needs to have some sort of threshold settings for high and low, but low at least.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
      Seemed to work well, but put my screen too dark in the room. No override as every time I'd lighten it, it would dim immediately. Needs to have some sort of threshold settings for high and low, but low at least.
      So it didn't work well because it was too dark and your couldn't adjust it lol.
    1. carlbgc's Avatar
      carlbgc -
      Been using this for a while.

      Great for the eyes, great for battery life.

      A+

      BUT it does need an override control, for if you need to keep the brightness at a certain level.
    1. thazsar's Avatar
      thazsar -
      This worx great when you're in the mood to not be able to use your phone in any capacity!
    1. Raptor2213's Avatar
      Raptor2213 -
      Doesn't work correctly. I played a game on my phone and the screen kept dimming significantly every time my hand went over the sensor. Very annoying.
    1. spqrguymontag's Avatar
      spqrguymontag -
      Very buggy.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
      How did this get a 4/5 when it doesn't work correctly?
      It received a 4/5 from me because it worked correctly when I tested it.

      For those having issues make sure you are disabling Apple's Auto Brightness and make sure you are using the latest version of the tweak.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      It received a 4/5 from me because it worked correctly when I tested it.

      For those having issues make sure you are disabling Apple's Auto Brightness and make sure you are using the latest version of the tweak.
      I disabled auto brightness and my phone just kept going to the lowest brightness setting. As soon as I turned it up it would go right back down to the lowest again.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      I disabled auto brightness and my phone just kept going to the lowest brightness setting. As soon as I turned it up it would go right back down to the lowest again.
      The tweak offers Automatic Brightness. So if you set a brightness level, it's going to automatically adjust again.

      You may need to deliver a bug report to the developer through Cydia. For me in low light the device's brightness goes down to a comfortable level, while in high light the device's brightness goes up to a comfortable level. In my opinion of course.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
      The tweak offers Automatic Brightness. So if you set a brightness level, it's going to automatically adjust again.

      You may need to deliver a bug report to the developer through Cydia. For me in low light the device's brightness goes down to a comfortable level, while in high light the device's brightness goes up to a comfortable level. In my opinion of course.
      For me and what sounds like many other people on this thread, it didn't matter what the ambient light was, it always went to the lowest brightness setting.
    1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
      Anthony Bouchard -
      Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
      For me and what sounds like many other people on this thread, it didn't matter what the ambient light was, it always went to the lowest brightness setting.
      You may need to submit a bug report. I didn't have that problem, so it's hard for me to help with it.
    1. N17REX's Avatar
      N17REX -
      Quote Originally Posted by spqrguymontag View Post
      Very buggy.
      Agree!
    1. stumbles's Avatar
      stumbles -
      Pity about the bugs. Hope there is an update, it's a great idea.