• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Report: 1 Billion Android Phones to Ship in 2017


    It's certainly not the headline Apple wants to read on the precipice of its 2013 WWDC, but according to the latest data and corresponding projections from research firm Canalys, Android device shipments are poised to leave Apple's iPhone in the dust by 2017.

    1.5 billion smartphones are expected to ship worldwide during the 2017 calendar year. And one operating system will power two-thirds of these mobile devices. Canalys projects Android devices will account for one billion of the devices shipped that year.

    Over the same period, it is forecast that Apple’s shipments will continue to grow, but at a slower rate than the total smartphone market and hence its market share will fall from 19.5% in 2012 to 14.1% in 2017. Approximately four Android devices will ship for every one iOS-powered device shipped that year.
    In North America and Western Europe, virtually all phones shipped will be smartphones. Same goes for China, where 95% of all mobile phone shipments in 2017 will be smartphones. Not surprisingly, Android devices are expected to wholly dominate the Chinese mobile device market as well.

    What can save Apple's iPhone from being lost in Android's shadow? Analysts believe a low-cost entry level model is now Apple's best hope for curbing (not overcoming) Android's increasingly dominant global posturing.

    Source: Canalys
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Report: 1 Billion Android Phones to Ship in 2017 started by Michael Essany View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. AdonisBlue's Avatar
      AdonisBlue -
      Wow gossip news 4 years into the future! Can hardly wait to see happen.......
    1. ahayes's Avatar
      ahayes -
      REALLY!?!? 2017 is what we're getting news about? WTF!? Can we please get back to relevant and factual news?
    1. Venom1234's Avatar
      Venom1234 -
      Mod edit. Comment removed.
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      By 2017 I heard that we will all have cyber implants that allow us to make calls that will transmit our thoughts to the other person so you don't even have to talk out loud.
    1. tayman's Avatar
      tayman -
      When you whore out your OS to hundreds of devices, what else would you expect? This doesnt mean that the "smart"phones would be reliable at all.
    1. vinaygoel2000's Avatar
      vinaygoel2000 -
      In another news, Honda will sell more cars than BMW in 2017.
    1. Dark_Ninja's Avatar
      Dark_Ninja -
      And Jason Statham will have done more movies than Chuck Norris!
    1. jOnGarrett's Avatar
      jOnGarrett -
      Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
      Wow gossip news 4 years into the future! Can hardly wait to see happen.......
      you would have to be insanely naive to believe that it will take until 2017 for Android to hit 1 billion considering how in;

      Jan 2010: 1 million Android activations
      March 2010: 10 million
      Oct 2010: 40 million

      Jan 2011: 60 million (only 1 million a year prior)
      May 2011: 100 million

      Sept 2012: 500 million

      May 2013: 900 million (400 million more than 7 months earlier.

      If Android growth begins to slow down, it will still reach about 1.3b by Fall 2013

      Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
      When you whore out your OS to hundreds of devices, what else would you expect? This doesnt mean that the "smart"phones would be reliable at all.
      "whore out" wow, that's a bit over the top don't you think?
    1. iOS Guru's Avatar
      iOS Guru -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you would have to be insanely naive to believe that it will take until 2017 for Android to hit 1 billion considering how in;

      Jan 2010: 1 million Android activations
      March 2010: 10 million
      Oct 2010: 40 million

      Jan 2011: 60 million (only 1 million a year prior)
      May 2011: 100 million

      Sept 2012: 500 million

      May 2013: 900 million (400 million more than 7 months earlier.

      If Android growth begins to slow down, it will still reach about 1.3b by Fall 2013



      "whore out" wow, that's a bit over the top don't you think?
      It seems like you think that Android is ACTIVATING that many devices since the LAST announcement, when really that is the TOTAL amount of devices activated since Android was RELEASED. This is predicting that they will be SHIPPING that many devices in 2017.
    1. tayman's Avatar
      tayman -
      Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
      you would have to be insanely naive to believe that it will take until 2017 for Android to hit 1 billion considering how in;

      Jan 2010: 1 million Android activations
      March 2010: 10 million
      Oct 2010: 40 million

      Jan 2011: 60 million (only 1 million a year prior)
      May 2011: 100 million

      Sept 2012: 500 million

      May 2013: 900 million (400 million more than 7 months earlier.

      If Android growth begins to slow down, it will still reach about 1.3b by Fall 2013



      "whore out" wow, that's a bit over the top don't you think?
      This article isnt about android reaching that many users by 2017, its about a predictions of how many android devices will be shipped in 2017. And yes, it is a known fact that google does indeed whore out android. how many companies do you see dropping ios devices? how many companies dow you see dropping android devices? You mad bro?
    1. quidam_brujah's Avatar
      quidam_brujah -
      Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
      In another news, Honda will sell more cars than BMW in 2017.
      Yeah but Honda actually makes good, reliable cars that people like.

      I prefer the McDonald's analogy, myself: over a billion served!
      Just because McD's sells more burgers globally than Gibson's Steakhouse in Chicago sells filets doesn't mean I'm going to choose a Big Tasty Value Meal over an aged Black Angus 10oz filet, even if it is cheaper and tastes real good!
    1. SpidermanAPV's Avatar
      SpidermanAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      Yeah but Honda actually makes good, reliable cars that people like.

      I prefer the McDonald's analogy, myself: over a billion served!
      Just because McD's sells more burgers globally than Gibson's Steakhouse in Chicago sells filets doesn't mean I'm going to choose a Big Tasty Value Meal over an aged Black Angus 10oz filet, even if it is cheaper and tastes real good!
      Ooh. I likey. Mind if I steal that analogy?
    1. yatezy's Avatar
      yatezy -
      Quote Originally Posted by tayman View Post
      This article isnt about android reaching that many users by 2017, its about a predictions of how many android devices will be shipped in 2017. And yes, it is a known fact that google does indeed whore out android. how many companies do you see dropping ios devices? how many companies dow you see dropping android devices? You mad bro?
      Android isn't whored out, it's open source so anyone can use the code and put it on their device. Yourself included.

      Apple doesn't allow this hence why iOS is only on an apple product. If they did do you not think companies like Samsung and HTC would would be taking a piece of the iOS pie since they have their fingers in other operating systems?