• Your favorite

    Apple

    ,

    iPhone

    ,

    iPad

    ,

    iOS

    ,
    Jailbreak
    , and
    Cydia
    site.
  • Apple Code Found to be Throttling iPhone and iPad Cellular Data Speeds


    A website which was dedicated to providing iPhone carrier hacks claims to have discovered code in versions of Apple’s iOS that suggests the nation’s top three carriers are purposely throttling iPhone and iPad data speeds for all customers. According to developer Joseph Brown, operator of iTweakiOS, there is specialized code that exists on iPhones and iPads operating on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon which limits the devices’ network settings to effectively cap data bandwidth.

    Brown has taken snapshots of the iOS code that is managing the three carriers’ network settings as applied to an iPhone 5, all of which appear to hamstring the handset’s cellular data capabilities. For example, an AT&T iPhone 5 was limited to HSDPA “Category 10,” which tops out at 14.4 Mbps. The second largest U.S. carrier’s network is capable of supporting up to HSDPA+ speeds that reaches 21.1 Mbps.

    As far as Verizon goes, Brown found throttling code on the telecom’s versions of the iPhone and iPad relating to its 4G LTE network. Sprint doesn’t have limitations enabled for its high-speed data offerings. Apple devices running on the 3G networks owned by both Verizon and Sprint, however, are also affected by similar limitations. Since Apple is in complete control of the code running all of its devices, it can be posited that the company instituted the bandwidth caps at the behest of its partner carriers.

    Brown mentioned the following:

    Originally Posted by :
    […] from previous statements released by AT&T and many tech orginizations [sic], iPhones are very complex devices with a very complex OS. The OS eats much more data, even when in idle mode, than most phones on the market. So by carrier request, Apple limits devices to 'even out' the network, even if it means Galaxy users outperform Apple devices by such large scales.
    During his testing, Brown didn’t find evidence of throttling on devices operating on T-Mobile’s network.

    Have any of you felt like your speed has been throttled?

    Source: iTweakiOS
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Apple Code Found to be Throttling iPhone and iPad Cellular Data Speeds started by Akshay Masand View original post
    Comments 57 Comments
    1. iSteveO's Avatar
      iSteveO -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venom1234 View Post
      Obviously you're trolling.
      Obviously he/she is trolling, but it is "technically" correct.
      Most people don't know (care about) this, so I just call things what everyone else calls things so they understand what I'm talking about (and don't think I'm crazy, lol).
      Besides, these are all "products" sold to us, so they have names like "3G," "4G" and "LTE" for marketing (I mean LTE is Long Term Evolution, come on!). This is what the average person knows these things as; this is what I'll continue to say. The only people who pay attention to that stuff are telecom industry people and real techie people. For instance, technically the AT&T iPhone 4S isn't "4G." AT&T had to get a court ruling to allow them to display 4G in the status bar because it's this 3.5G he/she speaks of, and that wouldn't fit nicely in the status bar. A Verizon 4S is 3G. Just a fun fact.

      Stop trolling though, other person! Please.
    1. alperdude's Avatar
      alperdude -
      definitely. On Sprint, my LTE is great, but my 3g is almost unusable in the Chicago area. My old sprint phone was much better on 3g.
    1. subywrex's Avatar
      subywrex -
      Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
      Wow, SPIN IT..JUST SPIN IT!! I live in the Seattle area and have noticed HUGE variances in my data speed irrelevant of the time of day. I can tell you it is a serious problem! I pay REAL MONEY for my data stream and should get REAL PERFORMANCE irregardless of any other variables.

      Hey, got a deal for ya!! I'll sell you a $250K Lamborghini and you might reach it's top speed as long as there are no other Lambroghini's on the road that day.

      Sound kind of ridiculous huh?
      Bad analogy. Lol there are many conditional situations that can play a factor into a car reaching its top speed. Heat, elevation, road condition, etc.

      Besides I would hardly consider paying 50 bucks or so a month anywhere comparable to that of a 250k vehicle. And just so you know amount of users effecting data speeds have been a well known condition on speed of Data on mobile phones.

      Also with residential dsl. This is also effected by amount of traffic on the main line that distributes to an area. That's why business's will purchase business grade Internet that has a dedicated line do the business rather than sharing the same line with an entire area.
    1. Amadomon's Avatar
      Amadomon -
      Quote Originally Posted by clkkid View Post
      For the record irregardless is not a word the correct term would be regardless..
      While you are gramatically correct, I believe the word he was looking for was "irrespective".
    1. slim.jim's Avatar
      slim.jim -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      Webster's dictionary says it is a word. Oxford English says it isn't.
      Choose your poison based on your side of the pond.
      I'm not going to trust a dictionary written by a tv show character.
    1. GeoffS4's Avatar
      GeoffS4 -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      Webster's dictionary says it is a word. Oxford English says it isn't.
      Choose your poison based on your side of the pond.
      Real or not, when someone states the following "should get REAL PERFORMANCE irregardless of any other variables. " they are saying they should get real performance if you consider no other variables.
    1. Albut's Avatar
      Albut -
      If this is true Apple is defrauding its customers. They should be ashamed of themselves, Steve Jobs would surely be distraught at such a flagrant customer integrity breach.
    1. SpidermanAPV's Avatar
      SpidermanAPV -
      Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
      If this is true Apple is defrauding its customers. They should be ashamed of themselves, Steve Jobs would surely be distraught at such a flagrant customer integrity breach.
      Why do you automatically assume Steve had nothing to do with this?
    1. edwilk55's Avatar
      edwilk55 -
      I just tested my AT&T LTE connection and got 52.62 Mbps down and 15.55 Mbps up. Don't see any throttling going on here.
    1. TristianLyons1022's Avatar
      TristianLyons1022 -
      Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
      I just tested my AT&T LTE connection and got 52.62 Mbps down and 15.55 Mbps up. Don't see any throttling going on here.
      I'm not hating on you, but the article is pretty clear that the throttling is only going on with the 4G (HSPA+) and 3G (HSPA) Networks. Not LTE...

      On another note, I thought throttling was something controlled at the tower end, not on our devices themselves. Hopefully this means that there will be a simple jailbreak tweak that let's us have control over our own data again. Either way, I almost always have LTE now that AT&T finally got around to turning it on in Colorado Springs.
    1. steve-z17's Avatar
      steve-z17 -
      Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
      Wow, SPIN IT..JUST SPIN IT!! I live in the Seattle area and have noticed HUGE variances in my data speed irrelevant of the time of day. I can tell you it is a serious problem! I pay REAL MONEY for my data stream and should get REAL PERFORMANCE irregardless of any other variables.

      Hey, got a deal for ya!! I'll sell you a $250K Lamborghini and you might reach it's top speed as long as there are no other Lambroghini's on the road that day.

      Sound kind of ridiculous huh?
      As opposed to paying them with fake money...?
    1. trialnterror's Avatar
      trialnterror -
      Time for a jailbreak tweak/hack
    1. unison999's Avatar
      unison999 -
      Apple's new iPhone 5S!
      New look with new iOS with faster LTE speed (only remove the throttle in iOS).
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
      Webster's dictionary says it is a word. Oxford English says it isn't.
      Choose your poison based on your side of the pond.
      Yeah, it says it's an incorrect term for the word "regardless." LOL. It really makes no sense because it's a double negative as it contains "ir" and "less." It would be like saying drinking and driving is un-ilegal.
    1. HeliPilot's Avatar
      HeliPilot -
      Ok, I relent, the Lambo analogy was rather dumb in retrospect. In my defense I was tired when I posted it.

      And the use of the word 'irregardless' is fairly common where I live. Hear it almost daily.
    1. natasftw's Avatar
      natasftw -
      Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
      Obviously he/she is trolling, but it is "technically" correct.
      Most people don't know (care about) this, so I just call things what everyone else calls things so they understand what I'm talking about (and don't think I'm crazy, lol).
      Besides, these are all "products" sold to us, so they have names like "3G," "4G" and "LTE" for marketing (I mean LTE is Long Term Evolution, come on!). This is what the average person knows these things as; this is what I'll continue to say. The only people who pay attention to that stuff are telecom industry people and real techie people. For instance, technically the AT&T iPhone 4S isn't "4G." AT&T had to get a court ruling to allow them to display 4G in the status bar because it's this 3.5G he/she speaks of, and that wouldn't fit nicely in the status bar. A Verizon 4S is 3G. Just a fun fact.

      Stop trolling though, other person! Please.
      Pointing out something nonsensical is trolling?

      In this post you say you call it 4G purely because that's how it's marketed and how people know it. In the original post you contest LTE being called 4G by saying its not really 4G while the others are.

      If you're saying it to fit with what people understand, you'd call them all 4G. Pointing out that discrepancy is no more trolling than your initial need to suggest LTE was the only false 4G data type.

      "My phone says 4G so clearly I have 4G" is a trolling like statement. The rest is just tech talk.
    1. Perceptum's Avatar
      Perceptum -
      Quote Originally Posted by helipilot View Post
      ok, i relent, the lambo analogy was rather dumb in retrospect. In my defense i was tired when i posted it.

      and the use of the word 'irregardless' is fairly common where i live. Hear it almost daily.
      lmao!
    1. ABOSWORTH's Avatar
      ABOSWORTH -
      Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
      And the use of the word 'irregardless' is fairly common where I live. Hear it almost daily.
      I hear people say "I could care less" when they should be saying "I couldn't care less" all the time too. Doesn't make it correct.
    1. se23's Avatar
      se23 -
      Hahaaaaa This thread cracked me up
    1. Rcworship's Avatar
      Rcworship -
      Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
      4G is a defined signal. It's not out. I'm sorry to disappoint you.
      Ladies, ladies...

      Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
      While you are gramatically correct, I believe the word he was looking for was "irrespective".
      Oh brother, you all are irridiculous!

      Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
      Yeah, it says it's an incorrect term for the word "regardless." LOL. It really makes no sense because it's a double negative as it contains "ir" and "less." It would be like saying drinking and driving is un-ilegal.
      No, silly! It would be like saying drinking and driving is NOT unillegal! Haha!